Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my new radiator, just to make sure it is good.
No problems, rad still full, overflow full. Temp between the O&R.
I was looking underneath, 'because I am curious all the time"..
and directly under the water pump I seen a small green drip, that went down onto the front of the oil pan, and kind of stayed there.
Guess it is not a strong enough leak, to make a good hard drip.
It doesn't look like any of the hoses are leaking anywhere. The drip is so slight, that its almost not really dripping if that makes sense.
I did notice the check hole is on the top of the water pump. Is there one on the bottom too? I was in good clothes, so I didn't get a flashlight, and lay down and look up in there yet.
1989 302FI

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
that hole is called the weep hole. there is one on the bottom.

get under there with a flashlight, it should be rather apparent that it is the weep hole leaking. it there is coolant coming from the weephole the water pump is junk.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that hole is called the weep hole. there is one on the bottom.

get under there with a flashlight, it should be rather apparent that it is the weep hole leaking. it there is coolant coming from the weephole the water pump is junk.
Thanks! I didn't know if there was one on the bottom also. I will check today. I never did a 302, but it doesn't look like a horrible job.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
you better hope them bolts don't break.

there is a lot of documentation on the bolts seizing into the timing cover. it can turn into a HUGE PITA.

i suggest you do some searching and reading.

·
Registered
633 Posts
As long as the bolts don't break, it's not a tough job. Take an extra 10 minutes and pull the radiator, it will make your life MUCH easier.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh great, now I am nervous!
I am sure I will run into trouble, I usually do on everything I work on. Would some PB blast help to do in advance?
I will use the search here and see what happens when the worse goes on with changing them.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
it can help, but if the bolts are welded to the timing cover, the only thing that might help is heat....heat....and patience.

sometimes the bolts corrode and snap in the block, because a few of them go into water jackets.......good job Ford. :twak

do your research, we are here to help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it can help, but if the bolts are welded to the timing cover, the only thing that might help is heat....heat....and patience.

sometimes the bolts corrode and snap in the block, because a few of them go into water jackets.......good job Ford. :twak

do your research, we are here to help.
Thanks, I am doing the search function right now, while I am shaking. It is my back up vehicle. Ugh!!!

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
happy to hear it's your 2nd vehicle. then i say go for it and do it! take your time with it.

also, we only hear about the jobs that went bad. nobody talks about how easily their water pump went.

such is why we get more horror stories than anything else.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to make it right over the weekend.
My wife uses our main car for work, and I use the bronco for my work, and running my little girl to the docs weekly. She is disabled. So I have to make it right! I have done many water pumps, but never on a 302, hopefully the bolts all come out. Looks original to me. :doh0715:

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
oh i thought it was a ''2nd car'' as in it can be down for more than a few days.

yea i can see why you are second guessing doing it yourself. i would be.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just seen all the "broken bolt" threads. I am sick!
But as you stated earlier, we're not seeing all the ones that came right off with no problem. Hopefully that will be me! :thumbup
I am going to try and do this soon. The leak is so slight, almost not even a real drip, but I am worried it will just blow!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Same just happened to me, I was losing coolant like crazy, took it to my guy, and got the diagnosis of busted water pump. Just got her back yesterday, and she runs better than ever. Get that pump checked.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same just happened to me, I was losing coolant like crazy, took it to my guy, and got the diagnosis of busted water pump. Just got her back yesterday, and she runs better than ever. Get that pump checked.
I am sliding under it tonight. I need to know. Before it gets worse. I see the pumps are not expensive, and the little elbow hose is also cheap. Long as I don't break a bolt, I will be good to go!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine is a success story. I recently changed the waterpump on my '96 without breaking any bolts. I did spray them a day before with PB blaster. It went very smooth.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine is a success story. I recently changed the waterpump on my '96 without breaking any bolts. I did spray them a day before with PB blaster. It went very smooth.
Thats what I wanna hear!....:thumbup
If it is my water pump, which it probably is. I am going to tear down to it, then wire wheel all the bolts, and hit them with PB for a full day. Hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah TonyPa, I just changed my water pump out in Oct. No bolt issues whatsoever. I did make sure that I cleaned all of the bolts really well and antisiezed the heck out of them when I reinstalled them.

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco XLT, I6, 5 Speed manual(M5R2),EFI Intake\Exhaust,Thrush Welded Muffler 2.5" Exhaust
129 Posts
Go slow and you will be fine. I changed the original water pump in my '71 Torino 302 with no problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah TonyPa, I just changed my water pump out in Oct. No bolt issues whatsoever. I did make sure that I cleaned all of the bolts really well and antisiezed the heck out of them when I reinstalled them.
Thats good to hear. Yes, I better buy some anti seize. I want to make sure the next time around, I don't have an issue.

Go slow and you will be fine. I changed the original water pump in my '71 Torino 302 with no problems. Good luck!
Wow, that was a good thing. I think my 135k 302 pump looks original. I hope I am that lucky to get mine off. without the headache part!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, just went and checked it out. It was easy to see, the lower weep hole is leaking.
I hosed the bolts down with PB blast.
I will keep doing that till tomorrow.
I was wrong. This pump cannot be the original. It looks too clean after using a flashlight, and really looking.
Someone changed it before. Hopefully if I keep shooting it with PB, I will have good luck! Sorry for whining. Just with xmas here, and 3 kids, thats not what I needed right now.

Is one better than the other??

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...Z9pd8f?counter=0&itemIdentifier=15727_4487_0_

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...Water-Pump-GMB_3130088-P_54_R|GRPCOOLAMS_____

-

1 - 20 of 41 Posts