Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello once again to my fellow Bronco bretheren. Hope all is well with each and everyone of you. Well I just recently moved to the other end of Idaho. And find myself in a perplexing delema. First off my 89 is strung all over my dad's half acre and garage getting ready for a SAS. All I am waiting on is bushings for the front. Secondly I want to buy a new set of BFG KM2's in a 35x12.50 15. Thirdly I have to pay for a moving truck to get my crap down here. Well to top it all off I just found an 80 or 81 FSB triple black truck with a runnning 351 cleveland for $200. My question is Should I buy it? I know you are all gonna say yes. But keep in mind my wife isn't working. And I will probably have to sell it. What do y'all think it's worth all cleaned up? It is rust free cept the tailgate which has a small spot. really clean, interior fair, needs a good cleaning. Oh and it's been sitting for 2 years. Probably end up with tmy aluminum wheels and rancho lift before it's all said and done. What do ya think. KBB books it at like 3500 in low retail condition. Is that what I can expect from it?

Give me your thoughts.

thanks in advance
Land

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Are you sure its a Cleveland? If you can't afford it or don't need it, don't buy it.

That being said, for $200, I'd buy it and part it out, or if it is decent enough, I'd have a new hunting truck.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You aren't going to get $3500 for it unless it is in amazing shape (any rust at all and also the fact that it has sat for 2 years means that's a no) or you find some idiot that really wants a Bronco but knows nothing about their cost. KBB doesn't figure in the cost of gas and/or society's trends. Nobody really wants a 2 door, full size SUV anymore (except enthusiasts). People either want an SUV to haul lots of people and stuff or they want an actual truck. That being said, I'd agree you could sell it for more than $200. The main thing that concerns me in your description is that it's been sitting for 2 years. If the ad says "been sitting for 2 years but it ran when it was parked" that doesn't necessarily mean it is running now. Basically don't expect to "flip" this truck and make 2 or 3 grand off it. Also, keep in mind that there are probably more people looking to buy just a used lift than there are people looking to by an entire lifted truck (IMO). I'd probably clean it up and sell it the way it sits and sell your lift separate (if the same person buys both maybe give them a deal). If it doesn't go fast enough as an entire truck part it out, and sell for scrap whatever doesn't sell.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks pantsman. Great advice. I do know that it is goign to take abit of work to get it going but I am just not sure if I want to put my project on old to pick it up and flip it. My brother only got $1000 out of his super clean 86 with a new 5.0 and a new aod. So I figure if I make $500 off of it then I am doing great.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
hey i'd do it if i were you, some times you get lucky with cheep vehicles, i picked up a couple free vehicles that sat for a couple years (one for almost 2 year the other almost 10 years) i put a new battery in the car and filled it up with gas and have been drivin it for a couple months now.. the other one we got it to start with a good battery and new gas, it ran not very good but it ran..

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey i'd do it if i were you, some times you get lucky with cheep vehicles, i picked up a couple free vehicles that sat for a couple years (one for almost 2 year the other almost 10 years) i put a new battery in the car and filled it up with gas and have been drivin it for a couple months now.. the other one we got it to start with a good battery and new gas, it ran not very good but it ran..
yeah I picked up my 89 for $300 and it sat for almost a year and I drove it home. And my cavalier I paid 175 for and I drive it 300 miles a week.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When I bought my '96 it had been sitting for 2 years. When we bought it, we put a new battery in it, started it with starter fluid, and drove it from kansas city to dallas without a problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,209 Posts
My '81 sat for over 4 years out in a field without moving when I got it. All it needed was some new belts, gaskets around the carb, and a fuel pump. Drove it 700 miles home. Usually the stuff to go when sitting is just gaskets.

Its amazing what cleaning a vehicle can do for the resale value. When I got mine, the paint was so dull, you'd have thought it was primer. The windows had also been left down, so it was filled with sticks and garbage. A wash, wax, interior cleaning (about 5 hours) and it looked 15 years newer.

Its very possible that you could give it an oil change, new belts, spark plugs, wash and wax it, and sell it for double. I second not selling it with a lift. As cool as they are, nowadays, lift = less gas mileage in the eyes of a potential buyer.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
you serious about kbb showing an '81 truck at $3500. I've got to go look that up. I can't see it booking for over $1k, regardless of miles.

Umm, you have an old book or something? Online KBB only goes back to 1988.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you serious about kbb showing an '81 truck at $3500. I've got to go look that up. I can't see it booking for over $1k, regardless of miles.

Umm, you have an old book or something? Online KBB only goes back to 1988.
You have to go through classic cars to get the value and it does come up as 3500

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
You have to go through classic cars to get the value and it does come up as 3500
ok, well, to answer your question, if you want to buy and sell and make some money, I'd say sure bet you can make a little if this is a running/working 4x4. but these trucks aren't exactly a hot market item right now. And I'd love to see the look on a buyers face if you showed them the "classic car value" of this truck being $3500.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, well, to answer your question, if you want to buy and sell and make some money, I'd say sure bet you can make a little if this is a running/working 4x4. but these trucks aren't exactly a hot market item right now. And I'd love to see the look on a buyers face if you showed them the "classic car value" of this truck being $3500.
Yeah deffinatley. Technically it is a classic cause it's over 20 years old. By definition of course

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Yeah deffinatley. Technically it is a classic cause it's over 20 years old. By definition of course
yea, but, who in there right mind buys an '81 as a "classic" when there are 78-79's as far as fullsizes go? Heck at least buy the first year of the TTB, the '80!!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.