Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come to that horrible place where the likely repairs far exceed the "Blue Book" value of my Bronco. This is no blushing bride, but a well-used (off-road and pulling) beast with a lot of bumps and bends. I am the original owner and have put over 150k miles over the past 15 years (most the first 3 years).

Pulling a trailer in heat this weekend may have pushed her over the edge. A slight knocking turned to heavy knocking...dropped weight from trailer but knocking and temperature rise continued. Tried (mistakenly) to limp the last few miles home and knocking grew heavy as I pulled up to the driveway where she gave it up. Worried that pre-detonation may have damaged the engine and if I replace that, I should replace the original transmission as well. This has the 5.8L and the tranny/oil coolers.

Since I should go ahead and replace a lot of high-milage parts such as the water pump, radiator, starter, coils, etc. if I put in a new motor, does the cost make sense? Trying to be rational where I have a lot of emotional attachment. Drove my first Bronco 70k miles without getting attached, but this beast seems part of me.

The other options are either selling as a project to someone with time to tinker or parting her out (lots of aftermarket parts such as the Camberg Engineering suspension, Road Armour bumper, 35" tires/wheels, Wilderness Rack, etc.). At that point in life where those few moments I'm not at work need to be spent with family, not slowly rebuilding my Bronco.

Going to think on this awhile, but some thoughts from you guys would be great....

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
I would look for an engine and maybe a trans for it. Look at it this way maybe its a good time for an upgrade, bigger engine and trans. If it were me I would be looking for a good used one and go completely through it before it goes in. Dont know what your plans are for it but if your pulling things with it why not look at swaping in a zf5?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
If you have the space to store it and another DD I say keep it and slowly gather up a new engine for it. Not sure how old your family members are but maybe grab one of the kids to help you out. Great father/son project

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Would have to see the body to know if it's in any good shape...

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Depends on sentimental value, if you think it is worth it then yes it is, I only owned my bronco for a couple monthes and already exceeded the value of it. Do I care? No I do not I love these truck and still wish I had my 78. You can replace it but the memories are more then anything you can never make up for. Time with friends, time with family, that first road trip, this is where you have to ask yourself am I ready to part with it and lose everything I have with this truck or should I rebuild her make her stronger and better.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
I've come to that horrible place where the likely repairs far exceed the "Blue Book" value of my Bronco.
You may be asking the wrong people.

The "Blue Book value" on my Bronco is around $600.00
(86 Bronco 480,000 miles)

I have $6,000.00 in the engine alone.
Heck, the tires are worth more than it's "Blue Book Value"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have the space to store it and another DD I say keep it and slowly gather up a new engine for it. Not sure how old your family members are but maybe grab one of the kids to help you out. Great father/son project
Yep, will probably go into storage for the short-term and once I have a shop again, I'll start pulling her apart slowly and replacing parts one by one.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Id hate to see you regret selling it. Youve had it for 15 years, thats got some sentimental value to it. Just store it and gather parts as you can, do a swap or upgrade :thumbup

Hell do a SAS while youre at it :haha

·
Premium Member
276 Posts

what he said, I dont have anything in my engine, just a stocker 302 from a JY but yea four used tires would cost more than mine would book for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
$1500 for a reman'd engine... Just threw one in my '93 and it runs so much better than it did (ended up dropping a rod). No leaks at all either and I did it the slowly do a part here and there before dropping it in.

I don't think transmission rebuild kits are too expensive if you could do it yourself...

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts

^^^ that.

bluebook value is only useful for figuring out what one should be paying for something when buying it, or what one should charge for something when selling it.

just because it has a "bluebook value" (perceived value) of 600 dollars, doesn't mean it's practical value is only $600.. in fact, the practical value of a used (but well maintained) truck/car is basically the same as the practical value of a new one (in fact, i could argue that it has more practical value since its less expensive to repair)

besides, bluebook value also figures in for something which is warn-out (with average wear and maintenance) for however many miles it has on it.. if you restore it with a bunch of new parts (engine, trans, etc) then the estimated reliability of the vehicle (based on age and mileage) is no longer applicable. the only other factor is style/desirability, since most people desire newer cars, this drives down the bluebook "value" of older cars.

i didn't think twice to spend $1300 on a new trans for my explorer last week, even though it's got 220k miles on it, and i bought it 5 years ago for $700. aside from the trans going bad, it's been extremely reliable, so to me it has a high practical value. i don't think $1300 in repairs for 5 years of driving is bad at all. Compare that to new car payments, or repairs (let alone dealer maintenance if you want to keep you're warranty)

as for my bronco.. i probably couldn't give it away to most people. i got it for free a few years ago, and i've beat the piss out of it since then. even rolled it a couple times. but i still have $800 worth of tires on it, and $5,000 worth of engine in it, not to mention lift, lockers, gears, and a new trans coming soon. i didn't make that investment to earn money.. it was for my personal pleasure, yes if i were to sell it, it would be a horrible return on my investment, but i have no intension of selling it so what difference does it make what its worth?

repair you're bronco, it'll cost a fraction of what a new (boring, inferior, cheaply made) truck will cost, and it'll go another 15 years before it needs more attention. or be a homo and buy a prius. it's you're choice.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I've come to that horrible place where the likely repairs far exceed the "Blue Book" value of my Bronco.
I'm into mine for over $9,000 and it isn't even drivable right now..

Like stated.. BB is only a guide to buy. It all comes down to how much you're willing to spend on it..

>Most< cars in this world are a horrible way to invest money so you can't look at it as how much it's worth to other people.. You have to ask yourself how much is it worth to you..

I can't bb my "87" but a 1990 with the options I listed comes out to $1,150

So ya.. I'm way over...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL Great advise all, and very good point rhauf...especially "or be a homo and buy a prius. it's you're choice"!

I guess that eliminates my next project of taking an old Prius, and modifying it with my Camberg Engineering suspension, putting on 35s and replacing the electric motor with a small block....

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
LOL Great advise all, and very good point rhauf...especially "or be a homo and buy a prius. it's you're choice"!

I guess that eliminates my next project of taking an old Prius, and modifying it with my Camberg Engineering suspension, putting on 35s and replacing the electric motor with a small block....
Thus defeating the purpose, but that's the point. :histerica

·
Registered
408 Posts
my bronco still has a private party value of a little over $5000 according to kelly blue book.....

I would just fix the truck, especially since you are the original owner. There is no sense in selling it, picking up another truck in the future and opening up a whole new can of worms.

You know what you have, and no matter what, rebuilding the entire drive-train will end up being cheaper that buying a different truck and fixing everything on that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
VERY HAPPY!

Tinkered around a bit and got Bronco running and made it the few miles to my house. Found that although the wires were connected, two of them were completely rotted out at the distributor. Going to take the opportunity to upgrade the system (I think Sixlitre had a great write-up on that). This has led to detonation, so a bit of maintenance is required to get back to top shape and also need to address some leaking tranny and oil pan seals.

A lot of reading and searching here helped me figure out what to check first and realize that she is indeed NOT terminal!

A very heartfelt thank you to all who responded and all who are so generous with their technical knowledge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts