Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i was driving down the interstate, and my motor kept revving real high and then it would catch and my truck would go again.
I thought about the tranny, but when it happens, which is often now, ( never did it before today) my speedometer drops to 0, when it catches again, the speedometer goes back up.

So its my rear end huh?
If thats the case, I want to upgrade.
My local junkyard told me 300$ for the rear axle from a 92 f250. Is that the sterling 10.25?

How can i tell if it is?
Even if its not, is it worth getting, and is it a straight bolt up application?

·
I ♥ TTB
4,265 Posts
My vote is on the tranny.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
There is a little sensor on the top of the rear differential (upper left if facing front). Unplug that and clean out the connections good. You can also pull out the sensor itself and clean it off. Not saying thats your problem but it's an easy and free attempt at fixing it.
As far as the rear axle you can direclty bolt in the 10.25. However the wheel bolt patterns are different. So either you have two carry two different spares or you need to modify the front to accept an 8 lug wheel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, i suppose it is.
Is the trans shot, or repairable?
I just bought the truck less than 3 months ago and the guy showed me a receipt for a rebuilt trans. Im kinda pissed about that.
How do i find out which trans I have, so i can start lookin? I think its e40d, are there any other trans that are compatable?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Yea, i suppose it is.
Is the trans shot, or repairable?
I just bought the truck less than 3 months ago and the guy showed me a receipt for a rebuilt trans. Im kinda pissed about that.
How do i find out which trans I have, so i can start lookin? I think its e40d, are there any other trans that are compatable?

if there is an overdrive off BUTTON (and light) then it's the e40d, e40d shift pattern on the indicator is P R N (D) 2 1. if there is no button, and it's just P R N (D) D L then it's an AOD.

if you replaced the axle i'd go with a 9" from an 1980 - 86 bronco or f-150. it's a bolt-in swap from the 8.8 (minus the VSS if you need that... which can be relocated to the trans anyhow)

does the receipt for the trans rebuild include a warranty?

edit: if the VSS was bad, and it's the e40d trans, is it possible the trans computer would flip out (and go into neutral) when the VSS suddenly stopped functioning for a moment (when the speedo drops to 0)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the e40d then. Thanks. And If i ran codes, would that tell me all I needed to know?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts