Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Is solid worth it?

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  AUBronco 
#1 ·
Ok im new at this, so take it easy, I have a '95 and am trying to decide what all to do to it. I have heard a axle swap would be a good idea. Whats wrong with the axles that came with my truck? How hard is it to swap with 78 - 79 Axles? Is it really worth it?

#3 ·
Pretty much what AcePaul said. It depends on what you want to do with the truck. At the same time, if you don't know why you need a solid axle then you don't need one. Just wheel it stock until you realize you need to upgrade. The stock axle works just fine for a lot of people.

#6 ·
The TTB is inherently weak - if you plan to "beat the snot out of the truck" then carry a lot of spare front end parts so you can get home or swap to a solid.

You could probably ask the swap fokes here to send you their TTB axels, outter shafts U-joints,,, the stuff that breakes a lot,, etc.. for the cost of shipping as most of us just take it to the dump anyway - then you can wait a while but still have some spares when things break,,, as things will break.

but be careful on how much you spend on the TTB front end as when you swap to solid you will just throw it away.

Sorry, I can't resist,,, :thumbup
I have a D44 - completely rebuilt by Papola Performance / Extream Performance in Santa Rosa Ca. 707 578 1115 - every thing new ARB, 5:38, used install kit allnew bearings, seals, balljoints, U joints, Warn premium hub kit, new rotors, converted to 8 lug, still have old lug hus if you want to convert back - this is ready to go just need calapers - I will sell it for less than the cost of the parts.

:drinkbud

#5 ·
You can break anything with any size tires in the right situation. I have thus far found most of the ways to break TTB on 33's or less and I'm currently finding all the ways to break a solid D44 with 35's

#7 ·
My opinion on it is that if you have to ask.....then no its not worth it. Everybody that does it has done so because theyve gotten to the point where they feel it is necessary for the type of wheelin they do. Soooo...if you dont know if you need it, then you dont.

#8 ·
Besides, if one plans to "beat the snot out of it", then it really does not matter if you spend very little and keep the TTB or if you put D60/10.25 in, you are still going to beat the snot out of it. The latter will just hold up to your abuse a little longer, but will leave you with far less money.

so work on your wheeling skills with your TTb and think about it for a few years.

#11 ·
I think you need to take the time to read the TONS of threads on this site about both the TTB and soild axles. Have you even wheeled the stock TTB yet? Im guessing no, so that may be a good start.

But you need to ask yourself many more questions first. Like what size tires, gears, lockers and so forth that you will be running. Notice I said will be running and not want to run. What do you call beating the snot out of it? What kind of trails do you run?

You get the point. It sounds like you need to do alot of reading on here and decide what you will truly need and not just what someone told you. Good luck.

#17 ·
Iagree there is alot to learn. the point is my 95 is my project, no matter what im not going to "just through parts at it". As far as trails go probably mild for now and I plan to keep the ttb for now but its good to ask questions. I dont claim to know anything and will start from there. I found a set of dana 60's out of a 74 high boy, $600 for the set. Is it worth it to buy them now because i think thats a good deal, weather I use them or not if I find a deal it only inspires me to build it right. BUT im not convinced on what is the right way to build the "ultimate" bronco and at some point in my life that is my goal. So I want to fix whats broken when it breaks with the best. (I just want to keep up with my bro,s down south.lol)

#19 ·
just some more to think about - right now your spedo, transmition shift points and something else (it is slipping my mind at the moment) all run off the vss located in your rear diferential - if you look at your rear diff you will see an electric wire plugged into it - the rear D60 your talking about above will not have this

There are a few people out here who fab up a pickup off of various places to replace this - as you need it - I suggest just going to a 10.25 or 10.5 rear as it will have the pick up you need -
bottom line be carefull what you buy

have fun:drinkbud

#18 ·
the point is, that everyones ideal of a ultimate bronco, is completely different from one another.. Depends on what kind of wheelin you do. Rock crawling you want a low COG(center of gravity) with big tires for ground clearance, Mud you want is sky high with deep grooved tires, etc.. Thats what makes no one truck alike another... Just differnet variations... Read up on other peoples work, and find a way to adapt their idea to your need for it... good luck....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.