Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear window tint has a slight surface hase to it in one area. Almost like somthing got on it and etched it slightly. It is not discolored in any way, it just has a haze that you can feel is on the surface. It's not verry noticable, just enough to bother me.

Back in the day one of the plastic polishes Advance sold said it was safe for use on tinted windows, I had used it with great success for removing fine scratches and hais from tint. But now I cant find it, and none of the plastic polishes I have come across have mentioned being safe for use on window tint.

Does anyone know if such a product exists today.

So far I have found Plexus.
http://www.autogeek.net/plexplasclea.html?gclid=CImXjMXN5JACFSBMGgodh2uHXg
But it turns out through research to only temporarly fill in scratches. It doesnt really polish them out.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If you have one near you, go to a local Motorcycle shop. There is a product that is safe to use for all Plastic, Lexan, Plexi, etc. that the biker guys use for thier bike visors/windshields.

I wish I could remember the name of the product, but it's been a while since I had to use it or buy it. I used to use it on my prior Jeep Wrangler's soft top windows. The product would really clear up or clean up all of the fine surface imperfections/scratches on those plastic windows. You can only find it or buy it at a Motorcycle shop (or maybe online vendor). I had tried other products found in the auto parts stores prior to using the Motorcycle product, but none of them ever worked well...

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meguiars make a plastic polish but I'm not sure if it's safe for tint.
It's called PlasteX, I am intimately familiar with it. It says for clear plastics, but does not say anything about window tint.

Window tint is extreamly sensitive to chemicals, even the amonia in normal glass cleaners is enough to turn it purple after a few uses.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can report that Plastex is safe for tint and after a few minutes and some elbow grease it took the haze right out of the tent and it looks as good as new.

Also, I am 99% shure that the haze was caused by silicone lubricant. I noticed it after spraying down the tailgate window track with the window half in the tailgate. So if you do this and have tinted windows, protect the tint from the silicone lubricant.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
thats good to know, one day i'll set aside some time to polish windows and head lights

1 - 6 of 6 Posts