Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3rd brake light not working. I unscrewed the CHMSL but it will only come out about 1/16", so following advice from elsewhere on this forum I pulled harder and now 1 cargo light is lighting instead of the brake light so that shorted something :( My guess is that someone has pulled the cable tight in the shell 'cause there's a lot of spare at the connector. Is there some trick to getting the assembly out, or do I just have to force it and fix whatever breaks?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
It comes out as a whole assembly, not just the lens. If it hasn't been out in a while it will be sealed tight. Expect your bulb sockets to be burnt to shit too

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yes, there are tricks.

1) pull the driver's C-pillar trim & shove the slack wiring up into the roll bar so it's available at the fixture;
2) tilt the lens UP as you attempt to extract the assembly from the camper;
3) watch for signs of melted, warped plastic reflectors, which might interfere with its removal.

This is what it should look like:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/313650
Same procedure in a truck?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I tilted it up I could see that the center section was melted and sagged down in big bubble that blocked it exiting the hole. The brake light connector is incinerated, one of the cargo lights is melted too. Trip to the JY to scavenge one off a truck I guess.

Thanks again Steve83.

(Next on the agenda, coolant leak pressure test, and why the cabin air is always hot.)

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
When I tilted it up I could see that the center section was melted and sagged down in big bubble that blocked it exiting the hole. The brake light connector is incinerated, one of the cargo lights is melted too. Trip to the JY to scavenge one off a truck I guess.

Thanks again Steve83.

(Next on the agenda, coolant leak pressure test, and why the cabin air is always hot.)
Expect the ones at the JY to be in the same shape. I used the rubber sockets from a Ford car third brake light and just built a new harness from those. They are a little different design but they work.
I think the ones I used were off of a Focus.
Replace the bulbs with LEDs to avoid the heat problems.

Your hot cabin air is because Ford didn't use heater valves on these trucks and hot water is constantly circulating in the heater core, if your blend door seals are worn or missing or the door doesn't seat tight warm air will enter the cab. Here is a thread that might help http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234762&highlight=heater+valve

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Expect the ones at the JY to be in the same shape. I used the rubber sockets from a Ford car third brake light and just built a new harness from those. Replace the bulbs with LEDs to avoid the heat problems.
Oh shoot. I was thinking maybe it had the wrong bulb, the glass envelope is melted too. It's too hot for picknpull so I'll repair the housing, sacrifice the cargo lights and re-purpose one of the connectors for an LED in the brake position, and call it done :whiteflag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts