Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am a new member , I have the oppurtunity to buy a 79 Bronco . It has a 351 c. engine -C6 tranny , new process 205 , good paint , real good interior.

the engine was rebuilt 25,000 miles ago as well as the tranny . THe owner keeps a log on all his vehicles , He has had it 10 years . He wants 3200 dollars for it it runs o.k I think it may need carb work it's one of the cleanest I have seen ,and I don't see many 78-79 models around here <east texas > any input from you fellows <or ladies > would be appreciated

Thanks ,
James <saved>

John 3:16

·
Registered
603 Posts
The C Cleveland was a 1969 Ford design that didnt live a very long life.It cost Ford millions to design and produce,and was known as a decent engine with great performance potential.Thanks to the 70s emission and fuel crises,Ford decided that the Cleveland was doomed to oblivion,yet when they mapped out plans for a new engine to fill in the 351 to 460 gap,the Cleveland became the inspirational base for the new 400 v8.A taller engine block,and other changes led to largely a new engine,but using some C parts.When the 351C was finally kicked off the Ford roster,a downsized 400 became a 351M to fill in the 350/360 cid engine slot.When the old FE engines (360/390) were considered too old and dirty to hang around any longer,Ford put the fresher 351m and 400 into their trucks.Arriving during the period of low horsepower and smog devices,these engines became known as weak "smog motors".However,durability is their long suit.Today,almost 30 years later there are stock,unopened Ms running around with almost 200,000 miles on them.Not many 1978 GM 350s can claim that feat.The low HP output,and huge crank bearing surfaces help keep these engines alive and kicking.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not disrespecting the M series engines,however,the most legendary Ford engine has to be the "Windsor" family of engines.Coming along in 1962 for use in the new Ford Fairlane,the engine was small,gutless and unexciting,however its glory days were soon to come.Shortly,the engine was increased in size to a 260,and then the next year the legendary 289.Originally this family was known as "Fairlane V8s",later though the 289 became known as the "Challenger v8".Being used in every Ford car line (Falcon,Mustang,Fairlane,Full size),the 289 met varying success.The larger the car,the more pedestrian the engine became.Well suited to small cars and modifications,the 289 met a great car in the Cobra.The 2 became legendary.Watching engines getting bigger and bigger,Ford upgraded the 289 to 302cid for 1968 (the Bronco kept the 289 though)and came up with the 351W.Also used in trucks,and vans,the Small block Windsors were becoming the engine of choice.Pushed aside in 351 size by the FE engines in pickups,and later by the Ms,the Windsor made a more important contribution in 1980 (302) and 1982 (351W).When the Mustang was upgraded from wimpy 255cid in 1982,it was the HO 5.0 302 that led Ford's muscular comeback.The HO 351 that was optional mid 80s in Broncos and pickups (and used in Police Cars) was of course the 351W.Only when the new modular V8s took over in 97 trucks did the Windsor breathe its last gasp.1962-1996.Quite a lasting legacy for years to come.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts