Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wandering through the junkyard today, and stumbled on this....

I wasn't too impressed, until I started poking around...the rear axle is HUGE! and definitely not a 9".

which brings me to the front. 8 lug/disk and seemed bigger than my d44.

is that a d60? if so, that would mean a snofighter 250 with a rear 60, right?

I ask, because the yard only wanted....well, I'll keep that to myself, but it was pretty cheap for both axles, lets just say that. :)

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
That's a 44HD.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
If the price is right you should get it anyways

Just keep in mind a F250 D44 has different length shafts than a Bronco or F150 D44

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
is that a d60? if so, that would mean a snofighter 250 with a rear 60, right?
No, you could order a D60 without the Sno-Fighter package. Just because a 250 has a D60 that does not make it a Sno-Fighter.

I thought all 250s had the Dana 60? My '66 does and it's 4x2.

Adrianspeeder
No, in fact most 250's in 78/79 came with a 44HD

My 250 is a Sno-Fighter packaged truck and came with the D60. Only way your going to find out if a 79 came with the Sno-Fighter package is to get the breakdown of the build from Ford.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
That would be a nice score if real cheap. but it is a HD 44 front. look at the hub and notice how it necks down? 60 wont do that, it's bigger all the way out to the lock/dial. The HD look bigger since they start out inner near a 60 to accomodate a slightly bigger inner bearing and spindle, but then the outer is standard 44 bearing. And of course 8 lug/ford dual piston. nice front to use, but not a 60.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I thought all 250s had the Dana 60? My '66 does and it's 4x2.

Adrianspeeder

The rear?

Adrianspeeder
Somewhere in your 1st post I didn't see rear. I guess the 4x2 should of clued me in. Since the original poster was wondering about the front axle I presumed you were also reffering to the front. As far as the rear goes the 250's all got the D60.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Secondechomatt, I picked up the same type truck a couple weeks ago for a few bills, took the rear end out of it, slid right into my 78 Bronco, with the front, I took from the steering knuckle out, swapped it into my Dana 44 front end without many problems. It's a fairly easy job for a do it yourself over the weekend (I was supposed to have some guys over to get the job done quicker but between the crappy weather and the super bowl, it was a do it by myself job) Originally, I wanted to swap out the whole axle thinking that the HD44 would be better than the 44 already in my bronco, but after tallking with a few guys about trying to convert that leaf sprung axle to coils, I came to the understanding it's cheaper and not much difference at all, just use the outers. Good luck in whatever you decide

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Secondechomatt, I picked up the same type truck a couple weeks ago for a few bills, took the rear end out of it, slid right into my 78 Bronco, with the front, I took from the steering knuckle out, swapped it into my Dana 44 front end without many problems. It's a fairly easy job for a do it yourself over the weekend (I was supposed to have some guys over to get the job done quicker but between the crappy weather and the super bowl, it was a do it by myself job) Originally, I wanted to swap out the whole axle thinking that the HD44 would be better than the 44 already in my bronco, but after tallking with a few guys about trying to convert that leaf sprung axle to coils, I came to the understanding it's cheaper and not much difference at all, just use the outers. Good luck in whatever you decide
That's pretty much it. 77.5 60FF ford rear is in mine, 78-79 ford front but with chevy 8 lug outers (same basic knuckle out swap as described above).

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,983 Posts
Somewhere in your 1st post I didn't see rear. I guess the 4x2 should of clued me in. Since the original poster was wondering about the front axle I presumed you were also reffering to the front. As far as the rear goes the 250's all got the D60.
No harm :whiteflag

I wasn't too impressed, until I started poking around...the rear axle is HUGE! and definitely not a 9".
Why I brought it up.

Adrianspeeder

1 - 15 of 15 Posts