Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1988 FSB, 351W, Towing Package
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This sound came about after put new headers on and deleted the EGR. I believe the headers are on tight and I put a thick RTV layer on the EGR air intake block off plate. I also put a threaded plug at the outlet for EGR on the header, but didn’t seal it with anything. Could this be it? Should I seal that with some tailpipe/muffler sealer I have on the threads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,650 Posts
Yes, that sounds like a big exhaust leak. I threaded a plug into mine like you did without any type of sealant and it does not leak at all.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,350 Posts
Definitely an exhaust leak. Id check the collector connections. Sounds like more than a single cylinder leaking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely an exhaust leak. Id check the collector connections. Sounds like more than a single cylinder leaking.

Thanks BigBlue. This is a clip I recorded last night after I put a shop vac in the tailpipe to pressurize everything. It’s blowing a ton of air at this clamp that my mechanic shop put on after cutting my exhaust to lift my engine last week. Is this likely my culprit?

Sorry for the dumb questions but my experience with exhaust leaks is real low

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,350 Posts
Thats definitely the culprit. Swap that dual clamp monstrosity out for a stainless band clamp. If both pipes are the exact same diameter, use a butt joint style. If one pipe is slightly larger than the other, use a lap style clamp.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats definitely the culprit. Swap that dual clamp monstrosity out for a stainless band clamp. If both pipes are the exact same diameter, use a butt joint style. If one pipe is slightly larger than the other, use a lap style clamp.
I’ll probably just bring it to the shop that did it and make them do it for me. Thanks man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts