Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a chevy 1ton axle but is not a 14 bolt it is a 10 bolt and is 8 lug off a 68 chevy would this axle be any good to swap out with not sure of gear ratio yet but any help on what it is and it any good would be nice

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
without being 100% positive i would say it has less splineage than something of later era....plus it prolly doesn't have a good selection of aft acc's

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
85f150 said:
without being 100% positive i would say it has less splineage than something of later era....plus it prolly doesn't have a good selection of aft acc's
both true. This is actually an 8 lug fullfloater 10bolt? later chevy 10 bolts suck. And I'm not sure they were making 8 lug versions (probably why the 14 came out). Any pics of this axle, so much easier to judge.

·
Registered
531 Posts
why not just stick to your FORD? thats like trying to mix pudding with ice cream

·
Harmful if swallowed
2,118 Posts
quicksilver3602003 said:
why not just stick to your FORD? thats like trying to mix pudding with ice cream
Because commonly avaliable GM rear axles (and front d60 axles for non-ford apps.) are cheaper, easier to find, have more aftermarket options, and often times have interchangble parts over a wide range of years.

Of course, sterling rears are a good option too.

And as far as the rear out of the 68, is it possibly a Eaton?

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Agily00 said:
Because commonly avaliable GM rear axles (and front d60 axles for non-ford apps.) are cheaper, easier to find, have more aftermarket options, and often times have interchangble parts over a wide range of years.

Of course, sterling rears are a good option too.

And as far as the rear out of the 68, is it possibly a Eaton?
If it's an Eaton, it's good to run. You'll just have zero aftermarket support for it. I bought a factory geared 5.13 pumpkin to bolt into mine and welded the spider gears up.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
When you welded it up, how did it compare in beef to all the other axles, like the 14 bolt or D70? I have never seen inside one.

They also came in old Internationals. This one it a 1950

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
I dunno, never seen the inside of a 14 bolt or dana 70. The Eaton can use the same locker/spool as a 14 bolt, just have to change the axle shafts to 14 bolt as well. It's a one-piece housing which I like and very easy to weld on. I was able to use 14 bolt disc brake brackets without any problems. The Eaton axle overall is much lighter than a 14 bolt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts