Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i got my truck on a lift today to check out out which side of my rocker covers is leaking oil,..... and then it dawned on me,...... well,.. it kinda "dripped" on me!,..... yes my old friend the rear crank oil seal has once again p!ssed on me from above!,... i ran the motor to check it was nothing too bad,.... seemed to be a tiny trickle coming from the seal,.... but then i noticed the tapping sound also coming from the bell housing area,...... so i pulled the rubber inspection hole bung out, grabbed me a torch and had me a looky,.......... i was horrified to see that the shaft between the clutch and the back of the gearbox/slave cylinder end,...appeared to be running off- centre,.... hence tapping / knocking noise!,:cry.... why would this do such a thing,..... any ideas? has it happened to you?,.... it seems to be the cause of the leak,....:whiteflag

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
are you sure the oil pan gasket isnt leaking? not sure about the other problem, throw out bearing?

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you sure the oil pan gasket isnt leaking? not sure about the other problem, throw out bearing?
oil pan seems good,... rocker covers seep a little,.. rear crank seal leaks when idleing and when stood,... a steady drip every couple of minutes or so,..... the ratle/tapping noise increases with revs, its definately in the g/box and the shaft/throwout bearing? seems to "wobble" when idleing as if not balanced or something?, its in neutral when this happens,... but also does it when driving:cry:beer:drinkbud:rockon

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i think the throw out bearing is in a man trans , you have a automatic? must of been beating her pretty hard lately huh mate!!!!!!!!!!

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah its a manual,.... i do drive her a little hard;):toothless,....... not enough to bust a tranny,....:beer:drinkbud

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i broke a motor mount in my old 77 f 150 300 4 speed yrs ago, so things do break espacially in the drive train. i think the throw out bearing is bad but im just a hobby mechanic. isnt it way late there right now? no work tomorrow? where exactly do you live in Britian? my anscestors are english hence my last name Windsor.

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i broke a motor mount in my old 77 f 150 300 4 speed yrs ago, so things do break espacially in the drive train. i think the throw out bearing is bad but im just a hobby mechanic. isnt it way late there right now? no work tomorrow? where exactly do you live in Britian? my anscestors are english hence my last name Windsor.
yeah its 24:50 over here now,.... and its saturday tomorrow so, no real need to drag myself outta my pit too early! i live in a city called leeds in west yorkshire,... suburb i'm in is called middleton,..... twinned with beirut!,..... after the war!:histerica:toothless:beer:drinkbud

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sound remarkably like a broken bearing retainer. It's the part that the TOB slides on. They break at the base and then ride on the input shaft causing tapping or rattling sounds. Check that out.
Greg

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sound remarkably like a broken bearing retainer. It's the part that the TOB slides on. They break at the base and then ride on the input shaft causing tapping or rattling sounds. Check that out.
Greg
cheers dude,... whats this retainer look like?:thumbup:rockon:beer:drinkbud

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
sounds like the pilot bearing/bushing in the back of the crank for the input shaft of the trans is shot.

if it took a shit there is always a chance the input is now wasted as well

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i think it may look like a -u- shape bracket. thats what the hanger bearings look like at my work. not real sure on a vehicle.

-

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sounds like the pilot bearing/bushing in the back of the crank for the input shaft of the trans is shot.

if it took a shit there is always a chance the input is now wasted as well
eeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shocked i hope it ain't that!,... she seems to drive ok,... except the clutch will "bite",.. at the biting point and then "snatch" when i release the pedal fully,.. if that helps any?:rockon:beer:drinkbud

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
find a trans in a salvage yard that is the same dupicate and make sure you get a warranty............ not real sure how to help you since you live amgonst eroupean stuff. hard to find replacement parts i bet. if you lived in the country you could have a parts truck sit that you could bone when things broke.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do a google search for" bearing retainer mustang". Some were steel and pretty tough some were aluminum (mustang t-5's) and are notorious for breaking, I had two do this. It has 5 or 6 bolts that hold it onto the trans, it's job is to hold the input shaft bearing in place and it's what the TOB slides on, the input shaft goes through it. Have you had the trans out recently?
Greg

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do a google search for" bearing retainer mustang". Some were steel and pretty tough some were aluminum (mustang t-5's) and are notorious for breaking, I had two do this. It has 5 or 6 bolts that hold it onto the trans, it's job is to hold the input shaft bearing in place and it's what the TOB slides on, the input shaft goes through it. Have you had the trans out recently?
Greg
yeah, i sent my truck to a dude to rebuild the bottom end of the motor when it dumped its oil,.... he had the tranny off then,......:beer:drinkbud

1 - 19 of 19 Posts