Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to run extended radius arms so i need something to mount them to. i looked and with the arms that i have they will hit right between the tranny crossmember and the transfer case. i may have to trim the flange on the tranny crossmember, but it will tuck in there quite nicely and should be ok til i can afford a doubler and have to redo that part.

here is my fab question. will 2.5"x.25" wall square tube be enough or should i use 3"x.25" square? its only a 35" span across the frame rails at that point. if the .25" isnt beefy enough, i could weld it to a flat plate of .25"x3" flat stock for more beef.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a idea in my mind for them. basically like the stock ones attach, passing thru a 1/4" plate thats beefed up. ill post a pic when its done. oh yeah, which square tube? the 2 1/2" or the 3"

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
You may want to spend a little more time analyzing exactly what you are trying to do. Hanging 100 pounds of steel under there won't necessarily do a better job than a couple lightweight brackets that are well designed. Take a look at how the manufacturers did the same thing and try to emulate it, the end result will look a lot better and most likely perform better, too.

Remember, the stock RA mounts are just an angle wrapping the outside and bottom of the frame with a drop bracket the RA bolts into. The stresses are probably not as extreme you're thinking, especially with longer arms.

·
Registered
393 Posts
NICE, Larston! So rare to see anything other than the FSB "Throw more steel at it" theory...

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my main concern was the cross member. the stock brackets are just 1/4" but have a unique stamped shape that adds more strength to them since they are shaped (stamped) that way instead of being just plain flat. that and they are attached to the tranny cross member for more support. with my arms extended they will attach at the point that lies in a line between the transfer case and the tranny crossmember, frame to frame. its only a 2.5" gap in there and the flange on the back of the stamped tranny xmember may need trimmed. i always go bigger when in doubt and the 3"x.25" square tube will fit in there too with just a bit more trimming. there is not anything to hang a bracket off of in that space so i have to make a cross member to hang them from. i know i could hang them from the frame and force the arms outward, but i am just going off the line that the arms naturally follow and extending it backwards 11-12 inches. either way thanks for the advice. i laid under the truck measuring and thinking and i just wanted to see what was the best to use, the 2.5" or the 3" square. i doubt it will weigh 100 pounds though, its just a 36" length to span. i just dont want to nose the D60 up to a ledge and goose it only to have the crossmember bow back and fold up.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts

I put 2x2x.025 between my radius arm mounts.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
It's always great when you post pics of all that fab work you've got in that rig, Jopes. I learn something every time.:thumbup

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
see, i guess that would be a simple way to do it and just force the arms out to the frame rails. but to me it just seems that they should continue along the same line as they do now and after moving them back a foot, that the mounting should get closer together too. well ill measure and see how much i have to cut for 3x3 and 2.5x2.5 and go from there with 1/4" of either.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
bmc69 said:
It's always great when you post pics of all that fab work you've got in that rig, Jopes. I learn something every time.:thumbup

I sense scarasim in that post. :goodfinge

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I don't know if you interested but I tied my mount in with the T-case mount.
Not the greatest pic but you get the idea,

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did you weld to the frame or bolt? and what type of arms are you running? i have stock arms and just dont feel right about mounting them to the frame rails. it just seems to be asking for trouble with the C bushings forcing them out that far.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
axaviere said:
did you weld to the frame or bolt? and what type of arms are you running? i have stock arms and just dont feel right about mounting them to the frame rails. it just seems to be asking for trouble with the C bushings forcing them out that far.
I welded to the frame(may end up regretting it but its workin so far)
They are Slimfab arms

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as much as i hate drilling thru the frame, i usually end up welding stuff instead. its just a bitch to drill 3-4 1/2" holes per frame rail by hand. thanks for the replies, i get steel tomorrow!!

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I welded mine on. bolts kept loosening up from wheeling, no matter what I did.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that nay be what i have to do in the end, i just dont want to have to drill. unless i rent a mag drill.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Ax google for the Drillmate. I stumbled across this last nite. It's $125.00 give or take and essentially makes any hand drill a drill press with a claimed 14:1 leverage ratio. It looks like a really slick idea for drilling stuff like the frame, and was seemingly designed specifically for just such applications.

I was also looking at mag drills but I need to do 140+ 5/16" holes in .120, and most mag drills run at 350rpm 'cause they're intended for severe duty use. Some go up to 750 but that's still too slow for a small hole like 5/16".

In the end I'm gonna try to modify a 10" drill press for my particular application, but it's not a truck frame or even vehicle related.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
Get a set of the $15 HF step bits. They eat through the frame like it's candy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts