Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broken stub, axle, and u-joint at the same time????? :duh

I'm sure the welded front diff and 36's had something to do with the breakage, but still????????

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
TA DA!

:toothless

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the rust on the u-joint, it looks like it had been busted for a while....
Then how does the load get transferred to break both inner/outer axles.......... :goodfinge

Rust is there cause;
A. I was out mudding and had multiple deep puddles to get back home
B. I washed all the mud/gear oil/grease off everything to see the breakage better.

I pulled the other shaft, figuring with the amount of carnage, it might be effed up and looks completely fine, U-joint and all.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
WOW, very impressive. I was noticing the u-joint as well. You could have still done what you did with a broken u-joint, I figure. Regardless, wow.

·
Registered
294 Posts
May I try a conclusion that at least makes sense to me?:toothless

I'm guessing that you first snapped the U-joint and then still had your foot in it when the yokes swung around and caught each other and snapped both shafts.:shrug

Anyways, impressive and unusual carnage for sure.:thumbup

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I would say the u-joint broke first, either previously or the day in question, then the outer shaft broke and with everything bound up and the wheels maybe turned to help bind it all, the inner broke.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May I try a conclusion that at least makes sense to me?:toothless

I'm guessing that you first snapped the U-joint and then still had your foot in it when the yokes swung around and caught each other and snapped both shafts.:shrug

Anyways, impressive and unusual carnage for sure.:thumbup
Thats what I thought, but then the U-joint and/or yokes would have to be pretty beat up in at least one spot to be able to bust both shafts??? I looked em over pretty good thinking the same thing, but could not find anything. I did notice the yoke that busted off the outer looks like it had the yokes pushed outward from the center. Maybe that is what bound it up somehow to break the shafts, just odd it left no marks...........

Since I built this 78 beater, it has seen one snow/ice run that was pretty hard, hammerred down quite a bit, but not very binding.

2 or 3 mild rock crawls. Nothing crazy, but binding up all day long just driving around with that welded front.

and then this mudding run which I did have my foot totally in it and the wheel cocked all the way to one side, but we are talking about a bone stock 351M auto, crappy 205 TC LR, and stock 3.54 gears.

That Brute force joint is supposed to be lifetime warantee, wonder what they will say about that........ :toothless

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say the u-joint broke first, either previously or the day in question, then the outer shaft broke and with everything bound up and the wheels maybe turned to help bind it all, the inner broke.
The outer is a clean break and no way for anything to bind once that breaks. Now the outer/inner could both have been weakened alot before the whole thing finally let loose.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:thumbup

Nice work Ox... I'm excited to see what kind of carnage we can pull off in April.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
and then this mudding run which I did have my foot totally in it and the wheel cocked all the way to one side, but we are talking about a bone stock 351M auto, crappy 205 TC LR, and stock 3.54 gears.

That Brute force joint is supposed to be lifetime warantee, wonder what they will say about that........ :toothless
The outer is a clean break and no way for anything to bind once that breaks. Now the outer/inner could both have been weakened alot before the whole thing finally let loose.
With the wheel cocked all the way to one side and your foot to the floor, I can see the outer u-joint knuckle wedging in there pretty good for at least a second after the outer axle broke and that would be enough to snap the inner. It is unlikely, like you said, that it would happen all at the same time.

It is surprising to see that happen at all. Now if this was Tod posting, well that is just another story:histerica

1 - 20 of 20 Posts