Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Bronco, 351 W, C6 Trans.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was ground wire on the firewall attached to the intake manifold. I removed it when I rebuilt the engine.

I don’t want to loosen the bolt back on the intake manifold for something that really isn’t needed.
Can someone tell me if I need to reattach that ground wire and if so, can at go to one of the extra threads on the head instead?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,396 Posts
That doesn't look like the original ground for the engine. Do you have a ground strap from the engine to the firewall?
If not, I'd look into adding one. And a bigger one than that wire.

However, no, it does not need to go on a particular bolt, so you don't need to have it go to the bolt on the intake.
Any bolt on the block will do, as long as the paint is cleaned off and there's fresh, bare metal underneath. Just make sure the ground wire is flexible and loose so it doesn't pull tight as the engine flexes.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,736 Posts
Search vehicle ground strap on Amazon or google, there are 100s of them out there it doesn’t hurt to have more then one engine ground strap either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Search vehicle ground strap on Amazon or google, there are 100s of them out there it doesn’t hurt to have more then one engine ground strap either.
Ditto to Mojo... the more ground straps the merrier.. within reason, of course. Poor grounding has sent many of us pursuing untamed ornithoids!

·
Registered
1990 XLT with 92-96 Panels, 351W, 3.55L 8.8 Rear, 6" Lift with Idler Arm Steering, 35" Tires
120 Posts
I've always had a ground strap from the throttle plate mounted on top to the firewall. Didn't put it there, but have noticed not everybody has one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts