Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i picked up my new pronco project a week back or so and i got it home to find it leaking coolant. Well i finally have got some time to work on it and i think i may have found the source for my leak. I'm hoping its just this missing bolt (simple fix)and maybe a new gasket on the water pump. here is a picture to help, let me know if you think its just the bolt missing or if i need anything else to fix or look at.

the heads have been overhauled by the previous owner so im just thinking they forgot to put the bolt in.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
I would venture a guess that it's not helping with the missing bolt. I think if it was mine I'd pull the pump, check it's condition, clean up the mating surfaces and then install a new gasket...and the missing bolt.

While you're at it check the tightness on those other bolts that hold the alternator bracket. All of mine were loose last week when I pulled the alty to check for a bad bearing. Some ThreadLoc wouldn't hurt either...........

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
What about doing a pressure test with a gauge on the radiator neck first to see where the actual leak is then do the R & R...............? :shocked

I just went thru this a bit myself with my new motor, the Tstat was bleeding out of the bottom and collecting in the pocket on the WP because the gasket in the kit they gave me was like tissue paper, I used Ultra Copper thru out with no problems except this so I drained all the new coolant pulled it a part and put a new gasket using Permatex instead, put it all back together and finally no leaking ~ :chili:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If it's leaking from the timing cover gasket,then you should replace the gasket.The fact that it looks like the water pump has been off,I would suspect that the missing bolt is not missing,but broken off.If the bolt is broken off,you will have to remove the timing cover for repair.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
not to mention did you check your oil? if it is leakin there you might have a chance that its leakin internally too and is getin in the oil.....just a thought

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine looks just like that, other side though, I replaced the waterpump 1st, thinking that was it, but it's still leaking, it is the timing cover gasket, I've been looking into replacing it ( my haynes manual isn't worth a Sh#$) any one have any tips on replacing it? one guy told me I have to drop the oil pan 1st.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm going to do mine next weekend, I'll have 3 days to get it done, I'll just take my time and clean it really good while i'm in that far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm interesting. i will have to tear it off the next i get to it. i'm draining all fluids and startn fresh so i just need to get the leak found out before i drain all the coolant. havnt checked the oil yet. hoping for the best, since the truck has only been driven once in the last 3 years. could just be old age

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
hmm interesting. i will have to tear it off the next i get to it. i'm draining all fluids and startn fresh so i just need to get the leak found out before i drain all the coolant. havnt checked the oil yet. hoping for the best, since the truck has only been driven once in the last 3 years. could just be old age

Cheap Trick #2846----swing by your local 99 Cent store and grab a couple/three gallons of distilled water for when you refill. Distilled water=good, L.A. County tap water=bad................:smokin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i got to ripping apart the motor to investigate whats up with it. Drained the oil, and its solid black, so no coolant going in the oil so thats good. Drained the cooling system and removed the water pump so i could get a better look at it. The Bolt that was missing seems to be broken off in the hole i have circled in the picture. so im going to have to deal with that. any good suggestions?

Also the crack along the edge of the block and water pump mounting area, is that 2 seperate pieces? or do i have a cracked block. because im perty sure thats where i found the only leak source. So im just hoping maybe some of you mechanical guys have any great suggestions to fix it. RVT the crack and bolt hole?. If im dead in the water i got a guy nearby with an 89 302 with 115k on it running mint for $200, incase itd be better for me to just swap the engine out.

any help would be awesome! and get my project moving along

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm planning on trying to get this fixed and get it running this weekend. Any help/extra info you guys could give me would be great!

i dont mean to be anoying about it, just a yound bronco/engine noobie trying to learn more:beer

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
two possibilities on the bolt:

1) try an easy out.
2) if no go, then other choice is to drill the hole/bolt out enough to put a new threaded sleeve in and then buy a bolt to fit that new thread.

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,797 Posts
Might be easier to pull the timing chain cover off (provided you can get it past the broken bolt). While you have the timing chain cover off - inspect/replace the timing chain. I would most likely just replace it, but that's just me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the info guys. Yeah i planned on taking the t-cover off to get a better look and to inspect/replace it, since i dont know its history. while i have the motor apart i might as well

I was thinking easy-out as well, but it seems to be broken off a ways into it, so im not sure i can get one in there. Now that crack i can see next to the block, is that just more than likely from the bolt not holding it tight or is it worse than that. I guess im just not firmiliar with the block, in if thats built into it or that the part the water pump is mounted is a seperate piece.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts