Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I can't seem to find any pics in this forum of this exact pic, so I am posting it with my question.

Does anyone know what this cap is for?

And if so, do you know of an instruct (or forum post) on how to refill/drain it properly? And what fluid I should be using?

Thx!

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
It is called a differential. You will have to pump it out. You really need to get a haynes, chiltons, or use the search function. No offense, and I appreciate the fact that you admit to not knowing much, but seriously. You have started threads about how to pop your hood:doh0715: where your oil pan is, where your transmission is, and where your "front end axle drain" is. These are all easily learned from the first few pages of haynes or a quick search.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
p54519,

I'm afraid you are wrong. I do have a Chilton's book, and honestly it's total junk!!

None of the pics in the book go over my engine precisely, and FYI the book does NOT show you how to unlatch the hood and DOES not name and show me precise pics that I am posting.. Please check the book for yourself.

Id rather not put oil in my trans, so I need these basics.

I am hoping someone can learn from my posts as well.

If I don't know the name of a part how in the hell am I supposed to search for it??? Please explain???

Those books are filled with more acronyms than the english language and it's rubbish!! Total chaos.

I came to this forum to ask simple questions which I am totally confused about, and I would appreciate some patience.

As I said, once I start to get a grasp on the names of these parts and the areas of the engine, I will be able to search freely and actually use the right search terms and ask non-stupid questions.

Do you get where I am coming from?

It is called a differential. You will have to pump it out. You really need to get a haynes, chiltons, or use the search function. No offense, and I appreciate the fact that you admit to not knowing much, but seriously. You have started threads about how to pop your hood:doh0715: where your oil pan is, where your transmission is, and where your "front end axle drain" is. These are all easily learned from the first few pages of haynes or a quick search.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
The owner's manual would show you a lot of this stuff, like how to open the hood and where the transmission dipstick is. The chilton's ABSOLUTELY shows you the front axle and talks about how to change the fluid. Read it COVER TO COVER, then crawl under your truck and match up images and descriptions, THEN ask questions if you still have questions.

Owner's manuals are downloadable from ford.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in addition, I am an engineer it a totally different field of work - programming and computers... But I do know one thing, engines are very technical. And if misused, mistreated, or wrongly fixed (and I know a seemingly simple mistake can me the end of my transportation!!) So I'd rather play on the safe side and know before I go.. May sound weak or whatever.

According to the Chilton's book, there are so many damn acronyms and pics that do not match or even seem to be related to my engine it's insane! There should be a book for a 91 Bronco 5.8L Auto etc (with all the right details) not mixed and matched with Diesels, and other ford engine models, etc... It's really nuts. And if one simple point is missed or if Chilton forgot to say a minor detail - say goodbye to a perfectly good engine..

Anyhow..

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
I get where you are coming from, but imagine that someone got onto a forum about computers and starting asking "Is this my mouse?", how do I plug it in? What is a monitor? What is the difference between software and hardware? etc. You just need to spend a little time reading, searching, and poking around. I guess there's really no harm in your threads, it's just a little silly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe for a seasoned mechanic that book can be helpful, but I'm telling you. I spent an entire weekend reading that book, and I was more confused than when I started.

And I read it in front of my open hood and engine.. You can see my workbench below. I'm not BSing you. Have a look. Notes, records, diagrams, etc, etc...

And engine pics in my signature. I did that all this weekend.

I am not willing to break my engine to learn how it works when I can just ask a simple question that Chilton does not answer.

The owner's manual would show you a lot of this stuff, like how to open the hood and where the transmission dipstick is. The chilton's ABSOLUTELY shows you the front axle and talks about how to change the fluid. Read it COVER TO COVER, then crawl under your truck and match up images and descriptions, THEN ask questions if you still have questions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you it's "silly" but man, I am cautious, and I really don't know s&*^ about engines.

After reading the Chilton book I did learn a lot, but I just like to verify and get 2nd opinions. And I know there are some seemingly minor details, if missed, can ruin my truck.

Maybe you should make a forum called Total Newbies (don't know nothin) :duh

Thanks for understanding some

I get where you are coming from, but imagine that someone got onto a forum about computers and starting asking "Is this my mouse?", how do I plug it in? What is a monitor? What is the difference between software and hardware? etc. You just need to spend a little time reading, searching, and poking around. I guess there's really no harm in your threads, it's just a little silly.

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
Well, that is actually the point of the forum you are in, and that is why there's no harm in asking this stuff here. I think a Haynes, a cd from steve83, and few more clicks of the search button will answer almost all of your questions before you have to start a new thread.

·
Registered
201 Posts
" I am an engineer " Well there's your problem. j/k

Seriously. All this is really basic stuff. My girlfriend can even find her tranny dipstick, vs oil dipstick and can change her own fluids.

If you need detailed instructions that a Chilton and an owner's manual can not show you, then you are better off getting rid of your 20+ year old truck and buy something new with warranty and have it dealer serviced every 3 months.

And there is no harm in asking the questions, but I am afraid by the questions you are asking that maybe you are not the type that is able to work on such an old vehicle. Are their any local auto shop classes in your area that maybe you could take? I know my brother took a small engine repair class last year, at the local college. I know his type and knew it would not help, but he took it and passed. Barely. Some people are just not the type to work on vehicles. Nothing wrong with that, but it is just fact.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Maybe for a seasoned mechanic that book can be helpful, but I'm telling you. I spent an entire weekend reading that book, and I was more confused than when I started.
It helps a lot not to read the parts that don't apply to your truck. They're labeled, so you can just skip those parts.

I'm not a "seasoned mechanic", I'm just a guy who likes to turn wrenches, and those books are very helpful to me.

Not kidding here: Have you considered calling your local mechanic and buying an hour of his time to just give you the basics of what's under your hood? Or maybe the local high school auto shop teacher (if those even exist any more)? Maybe a local high school kid? Could be a very well-spent $50.

If you were in SE MI or NW OH I'd be happy to run you through the basics in person.

Also, why is your truck so clean? That front diff picture looks amazing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The service manuals are going to cover a generation of models. You know how many books they would have to make to make only one per vehicle per option package? That would be crazy. Plus, some people tend to buy newer versions of the same vehicle every so often, so owning a manual that covers all those years is great.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
With how much you are trying to learn from such a basic starting point you should really try to find somebody you know to help you out. Most of the stuff you are asking is not specific to a Bronco, Ford or any vehicle so anybody with any mechanical experience should be able to help you. If you don't know anybody (even somebody in your family you could call to ask?) you could put up an ad on craigslist or something saying you'd like to pay somebody a little bit to come answer some questions. You might not get a seasoned mechanic because they are going to be able to make more money fixing stuff than teaching people but you'll probably get somebody that does their own work and can answer the simple stuff. Heck, you might even find a wrenching buddy. Anyhow, doing so would save everyone a lot of time most of all yourself. You just spent all day getting answers to things somebody could've shown you in about half an hour. Just a suggestion. You also might post a picture of the cover of your manual cause I'm kind of wondering if you bought the wrong book. None of mine have any diesel info in them but that could be different for the newer models. By the way, it's worth looking into the factory manual and the Haynes manual as well as the Chiltons you have. Each one will give you a little bit different of a view in the pictures and the writing so it helps to read all of them for whatever job you are doing then pick the most complete one for that given job to follow along with.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'll say, you need to think like a mechanic, not so much like an engineer. I know as much as I do about vehicles in general, because I did 2 years automotive in high school, and I went to college for Ford for 2 years. We went pretty in-depth on some things (like the inner workings of the PCM). Probably even further than we had to for our level. However, understanding it at that level made it easier to understand the systems. Your truck is nothing more than a computer that is operating some mechanical things. (ie, compare the operation of the Fuel Pump to a Computer operating a PC fan. You have to find ways to correlate the new information to what you already know. But, most importantly, if you really want to understand better, go find an automotive textbook. (yes, they actually have them at the HS and college level.) It will give you most of the acronym definitions, basic understanding of the internal-combustion engine, axles, trans, etc. You can usually find them in a public library.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
If i can make a suggestion go to http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html and spend the $27 bucks and sign up and look around there. You may find it easyer to find stuff and may be more up to date.

I am also sure that a lot of us on here asked some dumb questions when we first came on here. But looking at your other post if you are not sure what a bolt is, then you have alot to learn.

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
I think I just had an idea. Go here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/
It has a lot of easy to understand information and is written in an engineer kind of way. This will help you understand what a transmission or differential or crankshaft does which will make it a lot easier to understand where it is, what it attaches to, etc. For example, I typed "dfifferential" into the search box, and here ya go!http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
By the way, you probably don't need to change your front differential fluid. It rarely get worn out or very dirty unless you use the truck in muddy or snowy conditions. Which by your picture your truck looks pretty clean, so I think it will be okay.

It takes 80w90 Gear oil. The haynes manual says how many quarts it should hold. Advanced auto parts and Autozone sells the haynes manuals, they are about $12 or so. The cover should say 80-96 Bronco and F-Series.

But yea consider taking an automotive class. They start out telling you about being able to read the sidewalls of tires, maintenance, differential fluids, reading fluid labels, how everything works. It's kinda fun.

Usually after that you can get your hands dirty doing repairs and maintenance. And most schools let you bring in your own vehicle towards the end of the class to work on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

"The chilton's ABSOLUTELY shows you the front axle and talks about how to change the fluid"

Look bud. Maybe it "talks about how to change the fluid", but talking about and showing - in all detail specifically step by step (hand holding) it does not. These books appeared to have been written for semi-experienced mechanics (1-2 yrs)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Dude. I know what a bolt is. In case you do not know, there is a BIG difference between a trans bolt and an oil drain bolt.

Have you ever put Oil in your trans? How does that work out for ya?

If i can make a suggestion go to http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html and spend the $27 bucks and sign up and look around there. You may find it easyer to find stuff and may be more up to date.

I am also sure that a lot of us on here asked some dumb questions when we first came on here. But looking at your other post if you are not sure what a bolt is, then you have alot to learn.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate everyones feedback. I am actually going to get some library books w/ engine fundamentals.

Believe it or not I've learned more in one day on this forum than I did all weekend and the past 4 years with my mechanic. So I am gaining some ground.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.