Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my CEL came on after I fixed my manifold leaks and upgrading the cat-back to 3 inch with a free flow muffler.

I went to have the code read, but it they could not read it. Said something bout the truck ecu not responding.:shocked

I was looking under the dash and found this...

I followed the wires, and they are pluged into what looks to be the ECU..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Looks like an OBDII connector to me. As far as I knew they didn't put those on the bronco's until 95? But i dont know any of youre specs so post em up. Ask them to hook the scanner to it with their OBDII connector, i bet it might work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That doesnt look like a ODB2 connector. Not enough pins. Probably a rerouted odb 1 connector. The CEL is most likely coming on because of an 02 sensor.Mine comes off and on after I installed the true duals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as far as I know, the truck is stock.. it has the obd1 connector under the hood...

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Looks like an OBDII connector to me. As far as I knew they didn't put those on the bronco's until 95? But i dont know any of youre specs so post em up. Ask them to hook the scanner to it with their OBDII connector, i bet it might work.
No.

That's definitely not an OBDII connector, and OBDII didn't roll out until 1996.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Notice how it is held on? Screws into a trim panel. Ford doesn't do that. Someone added something to the truck. Maybe a harness for a plow control? That would put the control unit near the wheel where the driver could get to it easily.

You mention it looks like the wires go to the ECU. My wires all come from under the hood to get to the ECU. Can you read anything on this ECU?

On reading the codes, who did it? Did you watch? You do not mention what year the truck is, nor do you have you public profile set so we can read about the truck, so this limits the amount of data we have to go on.

My truck is OBD-II, and even mine has the old OBD-I connector under the hood. I just have fewer wires going there. But presuming (I don't ass-u-me anymore) it is OBD-I, a scan tool will never get a read on the computer that would tell you "ECU not responding" as that is an OBD-II type error from the scan tool. My OBD-I tool just has LEDs. I've gotten the inability to talk to the OBD-II computer and gotten this error, but it is usually a bad connection to the port (which bronco4life has already said this is not an OBD-II port).

So did they throw the end in the ash tray and say, "Oh, we cannot communicate with the computer. Good luck. And thanks for shopping at AutoZone." :rofl:

FSB is the boss, we need the details! We need a character of Dr Evil making his finger move to put over there on the right. :rofl:

--MIKE--

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok.. I have more pics of this mystery plug.. I was wrong as to it being in the ECU.. I pulled the panel and this is what I saw..

and who did the code reading.. napa with the OBD1 reader they had.. it came up with something like ECU not responding.. I watched them do it.. I dont know..

thanks for letting me pick your brains on this. I am confused..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts