Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of this swap with a C6? Looking for info. So it burns rice! Have read it is used in some motor homes. jUST GOT THAT THEY HAVE A 6BG1-T that is forty hp more. I know that they are hooked up to TH-400'S as well as some TH-350's and it is an inline 6 that goes better than 300k.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
this was in my local paper

ISUZU 6cyl diesel engine, 6BD, adaptable to Ford C-6 trans, $550

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
ouch.....So is the splineage the same on the two and just a case of making a bellhousing adapter? If you had access to a mill that wouldn't be bad, but you would have to know what you are doing, you wouldn't want anything off a littl ebit

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
I know the C6 is a great transmission and all. But diesels need more gears than that to be the most efficient. If a C6 will go back there then your could most likely get a ZF-5 back there too. Them two extra gears would greatly improve the performance of that engine

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My research tells me that in a 28ft motorhome pulling whatever they want. People are getting 15mpg with the allison 4spd and it is a quiet engine as well. Sure wish i could get some info on hooking up to a C-6.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i did a search on yahoo and didnt see much on the C6, but they did have alot of info on turbo'ing it

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke with a Chip company and the guy said that if it has a Bosch pump with #BP44 or VP30 then they had a chip for it. I think most don't have those pumps. If they were adaptable then we might be onto something. I think engine length including bellhousing for a stick in 48".

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
i would go zf as well if you could swing it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Versatile said:
Has anyone heard of this swap with a C6? Looking for info. So it burns rice! Have read it is used in some motor homes. jUST GOT THAT THEY HAVE A 6BG1-T that is forty hp more. I know that they are hooked up to TH-400'S as well as some TH-350's and it is an inline 6 that goes better than 300k.
I don't know about this motor, but I do know Isuzu makes a great diesel. I drove one for the better part of 150k in on of those large cab overs with big back bed....construction company delivering sheetrock, etc. Good, tough motor.

years later selling all variety of vehicles, I do recall Chevy trucks going to the isuzu diesel IIRC. have no idea if this is the same motor you are inquiring about though. but if so, I would go to chevy and see if you can get a bolt pattern lookup/other specs to compare with what you need for the C6. You'll need major other changes, but if your considering this, I'm sure you've already been researching all this. good luck, and if you ever do try it, you must post up about it.

EDIT....darn it's been awhile, but I used to take the truck into the pontiac/GMC dealer in Gaithersburg, MD, and I swear mindseye tells me the front of the truck said GMC, even though the whole cabover truck was built by Isuzu. So I think I know where you are going here. This was a 6 cylinder turbo diesel, and could haul quite a load. Not fast, but strong, very durable, with good economy and long life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts