Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I have taken the motor out of my 78 f150. I have made personal history. I have never removed an engine before. Thanks to Jimmy (jrdbronco) for some advice over the phone and answered questions. I although mangaed to destroy the T/C but thats ok. I am going to get a new one for this swap. Anyhoo I had no physical help. Did all the work myself. Ill tell ya, i wouldnt want to do that on a daily basis. My 140 dollar hoist works great. Just think I gotta do this one more time and then install it. I feel alot of beer consumption soon.

This is my mock up of my york 210 on the bracket and a idler setup fron a 78 f150. Im gonna use the 3 rib pullley from my 86 which will drive the oba and line up perfect.
Josh

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Congrats on losing your cherry that's one heavy piece of iron to pull by your self good job .:twotu:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Just remember to be a little more cautious on the install TC can get expensive,and ya don't wanna take a chance on trashin the front pump on the tranny.
Congrats.
Did you do yours with the front clip on or off?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ther frontclip was on radiator in. Im gonna prolly end up junkin the pickup anyway. I had the motor on about a somewhat goot tilt and ATF started coming out of the shaft hole on the T/C. Someone told me this means the T/C Is fawked but others say its normal. Any woo...Zane, I dunno hopefully by the end of feb. The faster I get the motor up and gasketed the faster I swap. Im gonna go with a new T/c on the swap. Also, if i turn the motor with no dizzy in will the oil pump shaft fall into the pan?

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
if i turn the motor with no dizzy in will the oil pump shaft fall into the pan?
I dotn see how it can cause the drive rod is placed in there with and held by the pump. i dont think it will fall though

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some pics....also why is the motor all blue? is has powered by ford valve covers, and the water pump is blue. Was this possibly a crate engine or a reman? The moter was put in the 78 from an 85 E150 and it seems to be a little too clean to be 21 years old.

Kenny im asking cuz the dizzy was out and i turned the motor over and heard something fall into the pan. or i thought I did.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
Ragged_ol_86 said:
Here are some pics....also why is the motor all blue? is has powered by ford valve covers, and the water pump is blue. Was this possibly a crate engine or a reman? The moter was put in the 78 from an 85 E150 and it seems to be a little too clean to be 21 years old.

Kenny im asking cuz the dizzy was out and i turned the motor over and heard something fall into the pan. or i thought I did.

Then look down the Dizzy hole and find out if the drive rod is in there still. Dude i got the whole pulling the pan and shit down to an hour and 15 minutes. i could work in nascar with times like that. i got a vice the other day from a friend and i am going to ben one of my lond 5/8 wrenches just for that purpose cause with big arms and hands like mine it is a pita to maneuver in there.

ken

oh yeah josh hurry up and get done so you can bring your puller up here and we can do mine.

hahaha

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Good job. It really sucks putting it back in your self, but can be done. Just get the motor about 6" from being stabbed, and turn the valve on the hoist real slow. When it starts barely going down, jump in the engine compartment and guide it in. It sucks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts