Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 6 months of down time(more to come for the D60 rear), the SAS swap is complete. :rockon :chili: I still have a few odd & ends and I'm going to re-do the drag link, but its done and I got to road test it..a few Q's on that later.
Here are some pics:

Did a little flex testing here....

and here....

here is a shot of the drag link...its the stock TTB link, bent around the springs...i really dont like that, my dad insisted that it would be stout enough, but its been a LOONG time since he messed with 4WDs, so, i'm thinking of having a new one made out of DOM..either way I've got to change it, it doesn't drop far enough to clear the pass. side spring when there's alot of flex goin on..Ya'll think that would hold up heated & bent like that???

Anyhoo, I took it up the road today for little test...and I've got a little shimmy/shake thing goin on..almost like it's hopping :banghead ..Could I have gotten my caster wrong??? I set it @ about 7*, or meant to anyways, should that be somethin to check? I'm pretty certain I've got the toe adjusted right also. Could it be a difference in track width front/rear, since Ive got the old 9" and my 15x10s in the rear and 15x8 beadlocks in front? This is my first SAS, but I took my time and measured then remeasured then remeasured...I'm 99.9% certain everything is lined up right as far as the springs and such..what could I have missed??? Hope ya'll can help me out here..There's more pics at my supermotors site if you wanna check it out.http://www.supermotors.org/users/seemoremud

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,742 Posts
Id definitely replace that draglink, one good hit from the side and its gonna be all over. Maybes its flexing while your driving??

Cant hurt to doublecheck your alignment. Also, i dont see a tracbar??? I know you dont need one if ya got a shackle reversal (my p/u rides fine w/o it) but id think youd need one for that configuration, or the axle will move side to side slightly due to the shackles being in the front :shrug

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
It's hard to tell in the pic, but did you heat and bend the pitman arm as well?

It also does not look like the pitman arm is seated down onto the greasable joint, or maybe it's just missing the boot?

Are you going to need to cut the front part of the crossmember for clearance with the diff?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Many 4x4s come from the factory with shackles in the fron, so it seems to me that it would not be the problem.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Seth said:
Many 4x4s come from the factory with shackles in the fron, so it seems to me that it would not be the problem.
It's not a problem. How many of them come to mind though, that aren't equipped with a trackbar? Every one I've seen with front shackles has a trackbar.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am pretty sure that my old scout 11 did not have a track bar, other than that I would have to look to be honest.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Seth said:
I am pretty sure that my old scout 11 did not have a track bar, other than that I would have to look to be honest.
yes, I'm sure some older vehicles did not have one. I was referring more to newer models (last 15-20 years), which tend to track/drive better on road, at speed since the factory added a track bar.

·
Registered
319 Posts
lol, ive seen way worse!!! that might not be the best of setups but definetily not high quality screwups like on that page mentioned above, im sure for a rock crawling or high speed DD perspective this maybe a little excessive, but come on guys you need to have a little faith in the steel man, u guys rant and rave on the scaryness of this, but yet they let my 16 year old cousin behind the wheel of a car, lmfao, there are worse things in life, but yeah if it wasnt too expensive of a mod i would probably change it, but its plenty good for now

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
quiefinator said:
but its plenty good for now
You do know what heating that thing up and bending it did to the steel dont you?
Do you understand the forces involved?

I'm sorry, I hate bashing on others hard work.
But that draglink is dangerouse.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Yeah, get that changed ASAP.

You need a trac bar. Shackle in the front is easier to set up (don't have to worry about pinion angle messing up when shackles are located rearward), but you have to run the trac bar to locate the axles properly. I bet when you get your trac bar on there it'll track like a beauty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts