Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recently acquired a 1986 ford bronco xlt 302.i just rebuilt the motor and am having a problem when i fire it up it runs awesome but when i turn the key off nothing happens the truck keeps running, i can take the key out and everything. i replaced the key cylinder and iginition switch and the problem persist. the only way i can get the truck to stop is by popping the coil wire off of the ditributor. any insight would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had this problem this summer......mine was the starter soleniod sticking....replaced that and in about 5 min it was all fine again.

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
solenoid sounds about right, mine was the ignition switch, but i replaced the solenoid too, when i got my new starter and alt.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Steve83 said:
The starter RELAY won't keep the engine running when the key is removed, and if it sticks, no one would describe it as "runs awesome".
I agree with Steve. I've had my starter RELAY stick before. When you release the key because the engine has "started" the starter stays engaged. Not a good thing.

·
Bitchin.
1,871 Posts
i agree with steve. to further the analysis, if that rod pushes and pulls properly, you may have a faulty ignition switch. only way to have a mechanical error like that is to have the ignition switch somehow pop the rod out of its slot. in that case, you may just need to tighten the two bolts that hold the ignition switch in place.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Do yourself a HUGE favor and pick up a Haynes manual. This is called dieseling. In the troubleshooting section it says:

1.) Idle speed too high. Refer to the VECI label and Chapter 1.
2.) Fault in the fuel or electrical systems. (Chapters 4 and 5)
3.) Ignition timing incorrectly adjusted. (Chapter 5.)
4.) Thermo-controlled air cleaner heat valve not operating properly. (Chapter 6)
5.) Excessive engine operation temperature. Probable causes of this are a malfunctioning thermostat, clogged radiator, faulty water pump. (Chapter 3)

I hope this helps, but get a Haynes if you don't already have one. They are worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
50, I think what he is saying is that his truck just dont shut off..Not that its dieseling. If it was Im sure he would have mentioned all the cool noises and things that it does (If you have never experienced this, its fun picking up your girlfriend and having to explain why your truck is still running without a key in it and your just walking away..)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts