Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my first post to the FSB forum. Ive been looking through all the info in the forums and cant figure out what im going to do, even though there is a ton of good info. What i have is an 89 XLT FSB, 351 with c6 auto and just under 100k original miles. It is in great shape and and I love it like it is one of the kids. Things that I have done so far are, SAS(hp 44 from 76 F150/ 9" from same truck) detroit locker in the 9, 4.10gears front and back, 35" shoes, 460 heat buster 4 core rad., electric fan (back up on the trails), 210 amp alt, red top batt., 12,500lb winch in front and 6,000lb in the rear, 2" add a leaf and shackle flip in the back, 76 F150 4" lift in the front. Stuff waiting to go in/on are full internal roll cage, 460 bb, sliders, custom xmember and some protective tube around the corners. Now here is the problem that I have. I had the 76 radius arms on when I did the sas. The radius arms do limit the amount of flex the front axle will have do to the swaybar effect of the solid mounts to the axle. So I bought the extra travel arms from All For Fun Offroad. The barpin that mounts the arm to the fram is also a big flex stopper. When the axle drops on one side the barpin binds up in the bracket and limits the down travel of the arm. So being a fabricator I decided to cut off the barpin and welded in an adjustable Rubicon Express rebuildable joint and mount that to the frame, hopeing it would get more flex. Now the pic of the first gen bronco on the web site allforfunoffroad has a decent amount of flex, mine was never able to get that much. Being disappointed that it didnt do as well as I thought it would I made new coil cups. The new cups didnt bolt the coil to the frame so they would drop and not stop the axle from free falling. I had to make some adjustments to the lower cups so that when the axle droped the coil would stay in position when it left the cup (dropped) and came back up it would stay alligned to the upper cup and stay centered. It worked well but still not much more flex. Im a believer in the coil system but now im thinking of going to leaf springs in the front. I know by reading some of the other forums alot of the FSB members frown on leafs in the front of a bronco. But I think I can get more flex without all the extra crap it takes to keep the coils in place. Or go to a differen type of three link or four link. A question to anybody who has done a rear leaf swap to the front, Is it a doable swap and is it worth doing it? I have a set of 63/64 inch suser flex leafs for the rear that I have not put in yet, but when I do get them in I would like to put the rear leafs in the front. Any thoughts on what my final set up should be? Any info would be greatly helpfull. Sorry no pics I cant figure out how to put them on here, if you can help with that as well that would be great.
Thanks
Jake:banghead

1 - 2 of 2 Posts