Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now as I'm fairly new 4X4 builder the steering is a bit of a mystery to me.

My steering after making a right or left hand turn from stop seems to stick or seize just off centre if I'm in two wheel drive, the same problem does not occur in four wheel drive.
Also after 30 seconds down the road it lets go and goes to centre then no problems steering while going down the road regardless of speed traveled.
It doesn't have death wobble or anything like that.

Now I changed pump and steering boxes but no difference I checked all my steering tie rods and linkages couldn't find anything lose or worn out.

So there I am looking at it and I think to myself I wonder if it's the drive axle u-joints seized or sticking.

My though is when in two wheel drive these axles are not turning and if the u-joint is stiff or seized it would put resistance on the steer axle,

So I tested my theory and removed the pitman arm from the steer axle and the steering damper shock and yes it's hard to move the steering.

My question is, is this possible as the problem why my steering gets holds off centre for about 30 seconds after steering right or left from a stop?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now as I'm fairly new 4X4 builder the steering is a bit of a mystery to me.

My steering after making a right or left hand turn from stop seems to stick or seize just off centre if I'm in two wheel drive, the same problem does not occur in four wheel drive.
Also after 30 seconds down the road it lets go and goes to centre then no problems steering while going down the road regardless of speed traveled.
It doesn't have death wobble or anything like that.

Now I changed pump and steering boxes but no difference I checked all my steering tie rods and linkages couldn't find anything lose or worn out.

So there I am looking at it and I think to myself I wonder if it's the drive axle u-joints seized or sticking.

My though it when in two wheel drive these axles are not turning and if the u-joint is stiff or seized it would put resistance on the steer axle,

So I tested my theory and removed the pitman arm from the steer axle and the steering damper shock and yes it's hard to move the steering.

My question is, is this possible as the problem why my steering gets held off centre for about 30 seconds after steering right or left from a stop?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
It could be a seized U-Joint on one of the axles and because one or both of them are seized or stiff. If this is the case, then depending on the location of the ears on the axle when you enter or exit the turn and the seized of stiff U-Joint, your front wheels would be slow to center until the axle U-Joint ear moves around to allow the U-Joint to move. You would not see this stiffness while in 4WD because the axle is constantly rotating. You may also have a bad axle carrier bearing(s) (located inside the stub alxle) that is causing the axle(s) to drag.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i would check the brakes it sounds like the calipers are sticking. it could also be that the pads have no lube on the rails they slide on.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it is.

Is your snap ring on the outer end of your axle? Also, could be lockout hangin up too.
Why does the snap ring being on the outer end cause a problem?

I've ordered up new drive axle u-joints to see if that's the problem if it isn't I'll check the hub locks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing yet.

so what have you found
I've ordered up new drive axle u-joints from JBG and I've removed a similar drive axle and the u-joints from another Bronco I have once the new u-joints arrive I'll install them in the spare drive axle and then re&re the one on the Bronco with the steering problem.

I'll let everyone know my progress.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have that too, but not every turn and i have new spicer axle joints and new calipers. i just assumed it was my steering box binding.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Why does the snap ring being on the outer end cause a problem? if its not there and your axle ujoints are worn it will let your axle shaft move in toward the gear housing which could cause your bind.......just thinking bout the little things...jmo.

I've ordered up new drive axle u-joints to see if that's the problem if it isn't I'll check the hub locks.
hhh if its not there and your axle ujoints are worn it will let your axle shaft move in toward the gear housing which could cause your bind.......just thinking bout the little things...jmo

·
Registered
74 Posts
had a similar problem, it was an aggravation trying to find it. i disconnected the drag link from pitman arm and moved joint by hand and the joint was binding, unhooked the other end and it was binding. i stole a drag link off parts bronco installed everything was normal again, maybe this will help

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Drag link sounds lift related.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not clear on what you're saying the problem was.

had a similar problem, it was an aggravation trying to find it. i disconnected the drag link from pitman arm and moved joint by hand and the joint was binding, unhooked the other end and it was binding. i stole a drag link off parts bronco installed everything was normal again, maybe this will help
Sorry not trying to be difficult but I'm not sure what you're saying was the problem, was it the drive axle u-joint or the drag link?

Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Drag link sounds lift related.

It's worth a look and a try, I have a spare Bronco that I can pull a drag link off so I think I'll give it a shot.

Unless you can give me a good reason not colobronco.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm saying neither you nor firman mention what if any lift you are running.

Clearly on a big lift the drag link could be too short. Ditto track bar.

Ok sorry I see your truck is not lifted. Does sound axle shaft related.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts