Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've been having problems with my truck sense ive owned it. mostly transmission problems. To start off when i first got it the transmission (E4OD) was on its last leg. shifted bad, slipped, shuddered up hills, etc. So my father got a reman. Unit for me for my grad gift for graduation at college. Soppose to be some heavy duty rebuild will all updates and a HD converter. With that installed it ran better but still shuddered while under load going up a hill(even the slighest hill). so i started checking other things, good tps, new ect, mlps, vss, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, coil and installed a cooler and remote filter for the trans. The plug i took out of the no. 8 cyl had a cracked and burnt electrode and the coil had a broken terminal. Weird thing is the plugs were alittle shy of a year old. My truck does fine up hills now but has no power, at WOT it feels like there is a misfire/jerk, and my main problem is the TCC locks up as soon as you get into third and stays locked. it will not unlock until you give it enough gas to downshift to the next gear, i just assumed it would unlock if there was a load put on the engine. also feels like it stays locked through fourth. again i assume it would unlock, shift to 4th and lock back once the engine wasnt under load. Also some times it will shift hard and clunk and sometimes it doent. sorry for the rant im just tired of my truck running like ass after the amount of money that has been invested. If anyone has any idea where to start any help would be awsome.

Thank ya
Nathan

·
Registered
858 Posts
My E4OD is doing the same thing, and did the same thing before the last rebuild. Now I have learned my lesson, the manual trans is goin in.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Is your TPS and MLPS adjusted properly?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i checked the tps last weekend and it was good. and when i installed the mlps i had the lines matched up while it was in neutral. i think im just start checking my connections and the wiring harness. the only thing i can think of is an electrical problem???

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
throw it all away and go with a carbed engine and a c6. send that crap back to tiawan.

Ray
Please keep your podunk backwoods ideals and nonsense out of tech help.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This might be a long shot but I remember some years ago on my 91 bronco with the e4od trans it started acting in a similar way and I thought at first i was having transmission issues. well after asking a ford mechanic at the dealer he said check my plug wires. i thought he was crazy but i changed them and the plugs and my problems went away. turns out i melted a plug electrode from the plug wires touching each other and this was causing the jerking and intermitent lack of power. the spark was crossing over to the other wire so that plug was firing wild. just thought I'd share.. good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
96 FSB: Ive already replaced the plugs and wires. When i first changed them it was running great expect for the early TC lockup and has progressively has gotten worse.

Thanks for the help guys, just want to get this thing running right, i really like my truck i just dont like gettin in it everyday and thinking "is it gonna run good today?" I'm almost at the point where i have double what i paid for the truck into it and its just getting to be to much.

·
Banned
495 Posts
most vehicles you cannot consider a investment, they all depreciate and if there is one that appreciates you dont drive it.. cars are risky investments you rarely get what you put into them back

Ray

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same crap

My E4OD does something stupidly similar. I've replaced all the easy and cheap parts (MLPS, TPS, etc., etc.) and I sucked up to a tranny guy with the same setup in his Bronco to get access to a lift, which makes working on it so much better. This trans was totally rebuilt about 15k miles ago. We replaced the solenoid pack and put a new filter in. What's happening is I'll be driving down the highway at 65mph in OD, no problem. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, it downshifts (or does something that is similar to a downshift). RPMs go from around 2000 to 2500 and won't go back down. If I slow down and the trans has to downshift, it shifts HARD. Every shift after that initial "downshift" at high speed feels like the trans is gonna fall out of the truck and it won't shift until RPMs are well over 3000 even at light acceleration. Here's a weird one too...I get mad at the trans when it does this so sometimes I just romp on the gas to show it who's boss and it shifts so smooth and perfect that it just pisses me off even more. Talk about frustrating...lol.

If I let the truck sit for a while, it usually corrects itself and will shift perfectly the next time I drive it. So my thought is overheating or possibly torque converter. The truck is stock and some dumbass put a radiator for a straight 6 in it, so that's gonna be ripped out as soon as I get some cash.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? Oh my gosh, please help me!:banghead

Oh yeah, I already pulled codes three different times and no tranny codes. Wouldn't want y'all to get me on that one haha.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Check yo' TPS... again.

Test it with a voltmeter and verify that you're getting a good (not jumpy) sweep from the idle voltage (<1.0v) to WOT (>4.5v).

So you're pulling codes, and getting code 111,111?

Does your speedo work fine.. I'm assuming you have a 92+ with a PSOM... Filling out your bronco info or a signature with actual information helps us a lot more then "Just bought this SOB and it's been a real pain in my ass, but I love it!"

We don't really care that it's been a pain in the ass when you're not giving critical information for us to help you make it not a pain in the ass. ;)

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Talk about frustrating...lol.
If I let the truck sit for a while, it usually corrects itself and will shift perfectly the next time I drive it. So my thought is overheating or possibly torque converter.

I never had a problem with the e4od as you are describing, but I have seen alot of problems you are talking about related to a bad sensor not throwing a code.

Maybe try searching for clock spring, i think it controls the transmission shifts.

The truck is stock and some dumbass put a radiator for a straight 6 in it, so that's gonna be ripped out as soon as I get some cash.

Actually, the radiator is not specific to engine size. If you got the tow package or the super cooling package you got the two core radiator, but if you didn't get either one of those packages you got the weak little 1 core radiator.

read the bold.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
96 FSB: Ive already replaced the plugs and wires. When i first changed them it was running great expect for the early TC lockup and has progressively has gotten worse.

Thanks for the help guys, just want to get this thing running right, i really like my truck i just dont like gettin in it everyday and thinking "is it gonna run good today?" I'm almost at the point where i have double what i paid for the truck into it and its just getting to be to much.
House brand premium wires break down a lot faster than good after market wires. Whatcha got ?

Sixlitre

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Also have you checked your TCC solenoid. A sticking solenoid will cause lugging and unwanted lockup

386 Posts
Check yo' TPS... again.

Test it with a voltmeter and verify that you're getting a good (not jumpy) sweep from the idle voltage (<1.0v) to WOT (>4.5v).

So you're pulling codes, and getting code 111,111?

Does your speedo work fine.. I'm assuming you have a 92+ with a PSOM... Filling out your bronco info or a signature with actual information helps us a lot more then "Just bought this SOB and it's been a real pain in my ass, but I love it!"

We don't really care that it's been a pain in the ass when you're not giving critical information for us to help you make it not a pain in the ass. ;)
I guess that along with the know-it-all comes smart remarks, too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts