Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Eddie Bauer 5.8 tow package, keyless entry/security system
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 96 bronco, my key cylinder now spins in place. I opened it up but cant figure out whats wrong.. any ideas? I'm not that mechanically inclined.
:doh0715:

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Can you pull it out? Can you hold it with your fingers and still operate the tailgate window?

I'ver never seen how the lock cylinder mounts in the tailgate, but if it is anything similar to the doors, the metal clip holding it on may have broke.

Again, I'm not so certain how it mounts in the tailgate. But something is broken. Take the access panel off and see whats up.

·
Registered
1995 Eddie Bauer 5.8 tow package, keyless entry/security system
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea access panel is open but i still dont know what im looking at :whiteflag

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
IIRC, it's electric and when the key is inserted & turned the TG window should go down so you can access the handle inside and open/lower the tailgate. The cylinder has a tab which locks it to the striker/s inside, so either the clip holding the key cylinder in place has gone away inside somwhere or the tab is possibly disconnected.........I'm close on this..............................?
Pull the skid plate off the TG if you haven't and look on that side and you'll see the whole key device there with the pigtail etc..........

Steve83 has his album of pictures of a tailgate rebuild and it will give you better idea of what things look like inside, this is not that hard to fix.

Good Luck ~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts