Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanted to know if anyone has ever tried this stuff, friend of mine swears by it. I was thinking about trying it, friend says he saw it at a trade show and they had a motor running with no oil pan and no valve cover all day with no trouble becase this stuff protects that well. Friend says that he used it in his car that has 130000 miles on it and now it use's a lot less gas and it revs real smooth and has more power. I saw the motor it is very quiet and runs great, you would not even know it is running if you did not see the belt moving. any input would be great. link is below.
thanks

http://www.lubricationproducts.com/ixl.htm

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I never feed into those BS displays at shows and that.....its just a scam, and I am 99% sure the product is snake oil, as are the other myriad of "miracle" cures that have come down the pike since the invention of the automobile.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I always wanted to know how they keep those engines running for so long with no lubrication at all.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Generally, as a rule, I don't listen to shite like this from anybody with less than say 100 posts. Sounds too much like a salesman pitching his crap.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Ya rly. I was just waiting for Gack to post his "oh God, not this $hit again" .jpeg.

FYI: it's a lot cheaper to just change your oil regularly. :thumbup

·
Registered
671 Posts
it prolly was a well worn tough as nails I-6, running at slow idle, PUT A LOAD ON THAT PUPPY!! A good oil with a high zinc content is what you want for protecting your motor. Regular changes work great too. The oil companies spend MILLIONS of dollars on research for their additive packages, you think that if this stuff worked, that they woulda used it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess you guys are right, that point made about oil companys investing on r&d in there oil makes sense. it was worth the question. I am currently running cheap off the shelf oil but next change I am going to start useing mobile 1.
Joe

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
bigjoe7757 said:
I guess you guys are right, that point made about oil companys investing on r&d in there oil makes sense. it was worth the question. I am currently running cheap off the shelf oil but next change I am going to start useing mobile 1.
Joe
:thumbup

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Synthetic is some good stuff... I've been meaning to ask, is there a special filter you need for it, or can I just continue using my Purolator PL30001?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Do the search thingie before converting to synthetic....if you have a new engine or afresh rebuild, I think that synthetics are great....however, like most of us, when you have an older engine and olfder or worn gaskets, etc, the difference in viscosity may make weeping through gaskets and seals a problem.....Just what I think I have read....Gack is the guy here, take; his words to heart.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
If your engine leaks with dyno oil then it will leak with synthetic.
No more no less.

If it doesn't leak with dyno oil then it wont leak with synthetic.

Every vehichle I ever swaped over had well over 100,000 miles on the engine. If it leaked before synthetic then it still leaked afterwords, if not than it didn't.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
I think that myth got started by people who already had problems, they didn't fix them, and it just got worse and worse. What's the first thing they thought? "It's that damn synthetic oil that did it!" Of course it was. :slap

BTW, my experience with synthetic has been amazing. This stuff will let your engine last so much longer, cleans the inside better, cures many valvetrain noises, easier startup....goes along with SeaFoam's 'status', imho. :D

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Roger, thanks Gack.

I'm considering changing over to synthetic right now, even though I only have about 1200m on the oil right now. Think I may wait until I hit 3k anyways, just so it doesn't seem like such a waste. Though, the oil burner heater over at my dad's work will probably enjoy getting some fresh stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to say this!

Hey guys and Gals.

I am new to this site. I got here because I was trying to find a local IXL dealer so I could replenish my supply.

I must Say I was taken alittle by suprise with the posts on this blog.

But first let me start by saying that I am a retired Truck Driver with over 2.5 million miles loged under me and my faverit pass time is restoring old cars.

This being said I will say that I am as big a sceptic as thay come. I don't believe what the snake oil salesmen say about anythig and I will bairly believe have of what they can show me.

How ever... Late in 1995 I was at the Pomona Fair Grounds looking for some parts for a 75 Bonco that I was working on and came upon one of thoughs snake oil salesman displays. You know they had a timkin bearing tester set up and a moter running with no oil pan, valve cover or oil and it was running. As I stood there and watched with my arms crossed I was taking note that the motor was running at a very low idle. I also took notice that it was a Ford 300 in line 6 cylinder? Well that was all I needed to defunck this guy and the snake oil infront of all the people standing around kis demo. I said to him in front of every one... I can do the same thing you are doing with a motor I have in my garage without the help of your snake oil. The old man said tho me that if I would bring my motor tomarow witch was Sunday he would take my challange and pay me 10,000.00 if my motor could do what I said it would and if it didn't I would have to buy 1 gallon of his snake oil. I accepted and left forgetting may reason for being there, My parts for the 75 Bronco.

I went home and got ready. I made a frame for thje motor and radiator and a battery. I made sure it ran and ran cool. I loaded it on my trailer and made ready for the morning. I was sure I was going to get that 10k and defunk the entire pitch.

I made it to the fair grounds early so I could get in and stage my motor. They wont let you in once people are walking around. I pulled up to where the Salesman was set up and said to lets get this party started. He refused. He said that he wanted to wait till noon to do it. When I asked him why he said that there would be more people there and he was sure he wouldn't loose and that it would be good for business. I agreed.

High noon. We are staged and ready show him up. His motor running and mine running. Both motors are doing fine. He was still doing demos with timkin bearing test and I am watching both motors run. There had to be 100 people there or more. My mototr had been running for about 45 min and I finally said See I told you I could do the same thing with out your snake oil. He replied to me that the test was not over and he started directing ever ones attention to our motors. I walked up and put his hand on his throtle controller and said that we were going to take the RPMs to 2000 and hold it there and see which of us was right. I rluctantly agreed thinking that we would both kill our engines and I would still get my 10K.

I was wrong! Dead Wrong! My motor held its own for about 8 Min. before it started knocking so badly that I was forced to shut it down. His was still running and had no knocking. After a coulple of min. or so he came back to his motor and reved it a couple of times and let it rest back to the way it was idleing earlier.

I bought 3 Cases that day and have been a very loyal user of the product in all my cars and equipment. I don't run anything I own run without it.

I did ask him why he didn't run the motor at 2000 rpms to demo it and he said, when I do these shows it uses less gas to just idle.

I was sold.

D.M.K.S.
Blueeagle125

P.S. IXL does work. Try it for yourself. With gas prices climbing It would help.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

·
Registered
11,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I'm no engine builder, but couldn't one build a really "Loose" engine that would have minimal resistance/friction and would easily run without oil? To take it a step further, wouldn't having the pistons ceramic coated help keep the friction down? I'd have to see a running engine out of my own vehicle drained of all oil and then coated with this junk run for 8 hours before I bought into the hype.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts