Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'96 XLT, 5.0, E4OD, Electric 4X4, Automatic Hubs
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out how to store the jack under the hood? Anybody have any pictures? The manual did not help much. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Its the strangest, hoky setup I have ever seen. Seems to me if you bend that tab back & fourth enough it eventually breaks

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
289 Posts
My factory jack and tire iron seem to have held up for 31 years.
@JoelS Remember that the factory jack may be useless if you're lifted or running larger tires. I carry an aftermarket bottle jack. Just make sure to secure all cargo.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,403 Posts
@JoelS Remember that the factory jack may be useless if you're lifted or running larger tires. I carry an aftermarket bottle jack. Just make sure to secure all cargo.
Suspension or body lift don’t do anything to change the axle jacking point height, but larger tires do for sure. Going to a 35” tire from a 30” tire raises the jacking point by ~2.5” give or take. Of course, that doesn’t apply to putting the frame on stands. ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its the strangest, hoky setup I have ever seen. Seems to me if you bend that tab back & fourth enough it eventually breaks
Agree, we can't even move our tab. Hopefully I can get it loosened up and then tightened down enough to keep from rattling around.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help and pictures. Still can't figure out how the lug wrench fits in there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Son and I did a test flat tire jack and change this weekend. Went well.

What you mention about lift may soon be a problem.......... This is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Agree, we can't even move our tab. Hopefully I can get it loosened up and then tightened down enough to keep from rattling around.
Yeah, the tab is bent around the rod at the end to form the pivot and they do like to rust, even mine in Florida sticks a bit. get Pull it off and heat it with a torch before trying to move it, otherwise you'll likely just bend and break it. Use some Pb blaster to work the rust out and sray some chain lube or white lithium in there for lubrication. Anti seize would be great if you can get it in there.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,217 Posts
Thanks for all the help and pictures. Still can't figure out how the lug wrench fits in there.
Miesk's illustration in post #4 sort of shows it, but it's hard to make out. There's a groove there that the wrench slides down into behind the jack. My lug wrench was missing when I bought the truck, so I didn't realize that was the storage spot until matching it up on a truck that still had its wrench.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Miesk's illustration in post #4 sort of shows it, but it's hard to make out. There's a groove there that the wrench slides down into behind the jack. My lug wrench was missing when I bought the truck, so I didn't realize that was the storage spot until matching it up on a truck that still had its wrench.
Thanks, our wrench is missing too.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I had a jack that rusted quite a bit on one of my Broncos. I had a flat a long way away from home and the jack was really tough to turn. After I got back home, I oiled the crap out of the jack, worked it up an down a dozen times or more, and then put it in a zip-lock bag and then bolted it to the inner fender. That Michigan salt can get into everything!

·
Super Moderator
24,974 Posts
Yo @JoelS

Finally a pic in our 96, bought new and jack was removed once by me to say some nice things to it. 😎

See

We have four 12"x12" 1/1/16" plywood sections in cargo area for use in loose or sandy etc. soil.

Attachments

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,454 Posts
For rattle prevention put a small piece yoga mat on both sides and tighten down. I don’t have interior trim panels and I keep four 4X4’s in the back corners inside the trim brackets 2 on either side and behind my spare on top of the two there I keep a set of semi truck reflective triangles.

Reactions: JoelS

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
For rattle prevention put a small piece yoga mat on both sides and tighten down. I don’t have interior trim panels and I keep four 4X4’s in the back corners inside the trim brackets 2 on either side and behind my spare on top of the two there I keep a set of semi truck reflective triangles.
What kind of bachelor has yoga mats laying around? I like using pieces of inner tube for things. They come in very handy for lots of stuff.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 automatic w/ the rust package
15 Posts
I've been wondering what that gap in the engine compartment was for, I've been debating on adding an additional battery in that spot. I have the original jack, cross wrench and other part but I have a bigger jack with jack stands I carry around with me that I need to figure out how to secure.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 automatic w/ the rust package
15 Posts
What kind of bachelor has yoga mats laying around? I like using pieces of inner tube for things. They come in very handy for lots of stuff.
The kind who tries to impress a lovely lady by having one just randomly in there because he is "in tuned with his inner self" until she calls him out on it by wanting to do yoga and you realize your rusted Bronco has more flexibility than you do and makes less noises....

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,454 Posts
I never said lying around, as a bachelor you should be able to handle buying one if you restricted yourself to ..... let’s say 2 less cases of beer a month, or week depending on age?!

edit: also works great to kneel on when working on your truck when folded, could also loan it to above mentioned lovely lady should the need arise!;)

Reactions: JoelS
1 - 20 of 23 Posts