Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No smart ass remarks about the title....LOL:goodfinge
Anyway, its been 25+ years since I've owned a manual trans vehicle. Anyway, when you are jacking up manual trans car from the front should the trans be in neutral (with rear wheels chocked of course) or should it be in gear??

·
In Front of Jopes
3,565 Posts
No smart ass remarks about the title....LOL:goodfinge
Anyway, its been 25+ years since I've owned a manual trans vehicle. Anyway, when you are jacking up manual trans car from the front should the trans be in neutral (with rear wheels chocked of course) or should it be in gear??
Have this guy help you:goodfinge

Attachments

·
Foolsize Member
1,557 Posts
I'll generally throw it in gear, set the parking brake, and throw something behind the wheels on the ground just in case. I've had a car roll off a jack while I was changing the tire on the side of the road, so I tend to go a little overboard.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,637 Posts
I was taught to park on flat ground, put it in the lowest gear (Low or reverse), set the parking brake, block both rear wheels in front & behind, jack it up then lower it onto axle stands. Then give it a little shake to ensure it's secure before crawling under.

Yeah, it might seem like overkill, but if it falls, it can be actual kill.

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
Yo J,
From 1996 Bronco Owners Manual by Ford @ https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandservice/owner-manuals/

"Make sure that your vehicle will not move or roll. If you have an automatic transmission, put the gearshift in Park. If you have a manual transmission, put the gearshift in Reverse. Set the parking brake and block the wheel that is diagonally opposite the tire that you are changing.
* NOTE: Make sure the ignition is in the OFF position.

If you have a four-wheel drive vehicles with manual locking hubs, put transfer case lever in 2H, 4H, or 4L.
If one of the back wheels is off the ground, the transmission alone will not prevent the vehicle from moving or slipping off the jack, even if the vehicle is in P (Park) or 1 (First).

To prevent the vehicle from moving when you change a tire, be sure the parking brake is set, then block the wheel (both directions) that is diagonally opposite (other side and end of the vehicle) to the tire that is being changed.

*WARNING
If the vehicle slips off the jack, you or someone else could be seriously injured.

When the transfer case is in the N (Neutral) position, the engine and transmission are disconnected from the rest of the driveline. Therefore, the vehicle is free to roll even if the automatic transmission is in P (Park) or the manual transmission is in gear.

* WARNING
Do not leave the vehicle unattended with the transfer case in the N (Neutral) position. Always set the parking brake fully and turn off the ignition when leaving the vehicle..."

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts