Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be installing my JBG Superflex 5.5 inch, which shim degree wedge shall I use for the rear axle to insure the driveshaft lines up?

Thanks...and Happy New Year!

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
2,928 Posts
I just went out and looked at mine in response to your post. I have the 5.5” Superflex with the J40s out back. Here is my spring perch with what looks almost like the stock wedge angle, with the fat side forward (forward is to the right in this pic). The springs have an angle built into them, but going with no shims would point the pinion to far upward I think, looking at this.

Here is my pinion angle. Looks pretty straight.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,744 Posts
dont worry about the axle wrap issue just yet. is it nice to have Yes, is it necessary not really. ive gone with out one for so many years now. with that said I will go with one in the future.

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,208 Posts
Damn what a pain in the ass to lift a Bronco.
C'mon now,,,, You Know You Love it right?

as far as axle wrap,
You might be surprised just how much flex their really is when your climbing.
I seen a guys rear tire actually moving so much it was binding up on his rock sliders.
(although he was "Block Lifted")

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,559 Posts
The best solution is a new set of perches welded on with the axle re-clocked to get the pinon angle correct on YOUR truck with stuff you plan on putting in it. This is just one of those things that is not a 1 size fits all to get it 100% correct.

I also agree on the antiwrap device, however if you go the new perch route, picking ones that are longer then stock, and thicker metal will help with that too.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the same stock wedge, I'm going to reset the rear again, not liking how it sitting on the perch

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How IS it sitting? Care to share?
There is a small gap between the leaf spring and the wedge, when I brake hard and or hit the throttle it makes a "clack" sound. I'll need to remove it again, I didn't notice it until I heard that noise on the way to the alignment shop and visually inspecting there.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,559 Posts
The centering pins likey little larger then stock.... Something easy to check

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the centering pin on the leaf spring is too big for the wedge, i'd have to drill a bigger hole on wedge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts