Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my second bronco yesterday. its a 82 351w 40k rebuilt. 140 normal. I need to find out why the back seems to be jerking. I bought it and the guy said the MSD ignition was bad. it ended up being the MSD coil. My friend shows me the hubs and they say there locked according to the hubs. so i switch and take the first drive. its jumpy on turns. would that mean the hubs are backwords but drives strait fine and now jerking/jumping. so i go and lock the hubs and the thing doesnt spin the front tires. i am wondering if they were installed backword so you have to do the opposite thing to them.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
having your hubs locked, will cause your front end to be jumpy, thru the turns - eve more so, on pavement (wet or dry). Go UNlock your hubs

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not sure. but its really weired. its only does it on turns but im not sure if its the rear or not. I been driving with them on the unlock. can the up be backwrods and lock way be unlocked?

·
Banned
18,967 Posts
It's impossible to assemble hub locks so they work reversed, but it is possible for them to be packed with grease or rust so they don't switch instantly (or at all). With the hubs UNlocked & the truck parked, reach inside each steering knuckle & try to spin the U-joint. Then lock them & repeat.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
I agree with Steve83. However, I'd just take the hubs off and have a look inside. If they are clogged with whatever, clean it all out, and repack all the bearings and reassemble. And test drive it again.

:toothless

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Also, try this - make sure your hubs are UNlocked, then back up for 10-20 feet, stop, then drive forward and make a turn somewhere. Is the jerking gone?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I talked with Kacy at length in IM last night. It's coming from the rear. From what he's describing, the rear sounds like it's locked or spooled. It also sounds like one or both of the front hubs are blown.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Heh, it sure would be nice if everyone could type their questions, and responses, as if their messages were read from a book. I know he mentioned rear, but I also know some people seem to regard a front axle as a rear axle, and a rear axle as a rear rear axle

Having a locker does make alot of sense tho ...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Gacknar said:
sounds spooled to me.
Yeah, I was leaning in that direction, too, but LockRights in the rear can be really harsh, so that's a possibility. I told him to pop the cover and have a look. Takes the guesswork out.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Excessive backlash in the third member could also be causing this problem forcing the drive shaft to move back & force ,any recent work or changes in that area, then you might want to consider adjust the backlash to the right setting. Haynes , Shop Manual or FSB web for tolerance. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
i have noticed the same thing happening on my fsb. its a 94, 5.8, e4od. when i go into turns the rear jerks and jumps, driving straight its fine. i put 2in add a leafs in last summer and kept the factory 31x10.50's on and i belive thats when it started, i dont remember this happening when it was stock. so mabey that little bit of lift did it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts