Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing.. got nothing.. Though I had an idea to bolt down some 30mm ammo cans behind the wheel wells for tool and spare part storage.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yup, that's exactly what i was talking about.. I have seen a few $700 bumpers with provisions for a Jersey Can.. But I'm poor.. and dont want to drill into the body.. Not sure if it would be a good idea or not to keep one inside the vehicle... Fumes and all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, that's exactly what i was talking about.. I have seen a few $700 bumpers with provisions for a Jersey Can.. But I'm poor.. and dont want to drill into the body.. Not sure if it would be a good idea or not to keep one inside the vehicle... Fumes and all.
Same here I'm already going broke due to many fixes on my bronco.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ammo cans

Ive been thinking about jerry cans aswell. could do the whole fabricate a bumper swing etc etc. Im going to just strap em in the back with some floor hooks i installed
Ammo cans are legit might try that!. Any ideas were to get some? Price?size?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Free is awesome!! I wish I could have found your deal lol my dad is retired and he doesn't have any... Hopefully I will come up with some cheap

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,067 Posts
I have ran jerry cans in my 78 fro a long time. They have been mounted inside and outside. When they were inside I never had a problem with the fumes, And I was using cheap(ish) harbor freight cans.
I had them in strapped holders

My 78 is not air tight by any means but I think if you are carful on using them you will be ok.

I now have them on my back bumper

Those are crown automotive cans from amazon and frontrunner mounts. Really like those jerry cans as they are not CARB and have a vent and a real spot still, plus a metal o-ring sealed cap. The mounts are nice also as they are lockable and fit the cans really tightly.

On the ammo can subject rural king has the 50 cal ones sometimes for 21 bucks. that is were I bought the last ones of mine

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like that Jersey can mount.. Looks like it requires a custom bumper? Or does it use the old spare tire rack mounts?
And as far as where you can get ammo cans... online.. army surplus stores locally.. some gun shop/pawn shops carry them... $35-40 bucks is about normal price.

Sorry I drug this post in a different direction.. I'd like to see/hear more Jersey can set ups also.. Need some ideas!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,067 Posts
Those are on a custom bumper but I feel that you could make them work with the stock one also without too much effort. They are beefy enough that it should not matter. They also have countersunk holes on the vertical parts for mounting. I am using the one most on the passenger side backwards to use those mounting point to hold a piece of lexan which will have my trail stickers and that affixed to it

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have ran jerry cans in my 78 fro a long time. They have been mounted inside and outside. When they were inside I never had a problem with the fumes, And I was using cheap(ish) harbor freight cans.

My 78 is not air tight by any means but I think if you are carful on using them you will be ok.

Those are crown automotive cans from amazon and frontrunner mounts. Really like those jerry cans as they are not CARB and have a vent and a real spot still, plus a metal o-ring sealed cap. The mounts are nice also as they are lockable and fit the cans really tightly.

On the ammo can subject rural king has the 50 cal ones sometimes for 21 bucks. that is were I bought the last ones of mine
It says missing pic...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

It says missing pic...
Did you build or buy that roll bar?

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I had mine installed from JBG they had to make some modifications to the bed to reinforce the weld points, add plating top and bottom and add additional bolts for mounting and structure.

They race cars and build cages for them so they seemed to know what they were doing. I had to have the added security since my son loves to ride in the back with the top off!

Agreed though that doesn't look like it would hold up on a roll over.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,067 Posts
My cage is tied to the frame its not just bolted to the floor, except the bars that go to the wheel wells. Im not going to say its the best cage design ever but I feel it would offer some extra protection in a flop or light roll, I don't think it would help much in a 100mph crash. I have seen the JBG cage in person and mine is everybit as strong as that one especially since there's does not go to the frame in any place.
I would also say both to your bought or built question, Grayer. I bought it from someone who built it to be welded to the floor however now its a bolt in and ties to the frame., I made all those modifications, But no you can't just order that one up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
...or maybe you could have just told him "no", and put that money in his college fund. :shrug I bet he'd have done OK with the camper windows removed. :thumbup
What's the fun in that!!! I love riding around with the top off for 8 months out of the year!

Glad to hear you have the rollcage all bolted up Grayer, I am guessing you do a lot more wheelin than I do with your 78'. I like the rear bumper setup, eventually I would like to have a better rear bumper setup like that but with the spare rear mounted as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts