·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
:scratchhe I'm with Joe, I'm not sure what the fight would be? :shrug

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,136 Posts
this coming from the guy with a constant eBay sales link in his sigline?

All that kinda crap is bs, IMHO. Good luck shutting down a community that's bigger than most countries in the world. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this coming from the guy with a constant eBay sales link in his sigline?

All that kinda crap is bs, IMHO. Good luck shutting down a community that's bigger than most countries in the world. :rolleyes:
It's not a fight to shut down ebay. It's just to show that people don't agree with their new pricing. Look through some of the names on the list. The one right below me has 70 pages of stuff for sale RIGHT NOW. There are over 6,000 people on the list already, say 20% of them sell mass quantities of items constantly, it WILL get attention.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
So you are upset that they are changing a fee for something that you don't have to use. If I think something is outrageously priced, then I just don't use it....

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,563 Posts
just read the article on cnn, i'm all for the users voicing their opinion and expressing their right to boycott, BUT its free enterprise, ebay is a company, they have the right to make their own policy, you cant accuse them for having a monopoly when they built theirselves from the ground up just like anyone else has the opportunity to do so

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
just read the article on cnn, i'm all for the users voicing their opinion and expressing their right to boycott, BUT its free enterprise, ebay is a company, they have the right to make their own policy, you cant accuse them for having a monopoly when they built theirselves from the ground up just like anyone else has the opportunity to do so
I agree with this for the most part, but you could have made that same aregument for carnigee (Spelling) steel, Standard Oil were both created from the ground up.

But Ebay is something that you would be hard pressed to make an arguement is something that is vital to anyone (Other then those who have purposly built their lives around it).

Look at the NFL. They have specific anti-trust exemptions. I don't know this for a fact, but I am guessing one of the major reasons is because I don't need the NFL to survive. Don't get me wrong, it would suck, but don't NEED.......

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
the biggest greif I have with thier new bs they came out with, if your a seller, you can receive negitive feedback, but you can no longer leave negitive feedback for buyers.

so they are going to get scum of the earth bidding on auctions, never paying who have 100% posistive feedback.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I've got to agree with Joe on this one. God knows I've had my disagreements with eBay in the past, but their business is their business. There is a word for what occurs when a huge company puts in place policies that many of their customers disagree with, and that word is opportunity. It opens the door for their competitors to take away some of their market share. Think about the example of AOL. At one time they were by far the largest ISP around. They let the success go to their head and thought that they could get away with unreasonable pricing and poor service. In short order they were reduced to a mere shell of their former selves.

The point is, don't mistake eBay's current powerful position in the market place for being a permanent fixture, because this sort of pricing shenanigans is exactly the sort of thing that can destroy a company from the inside. A petition on the other hand...I don't see it having any effect at all. The most powerful thing you could do to send a message to eBay would be to use a different auction site. Clearly losing one seller is a drop in the ocean to them, but it's the only way to make a difference. If you think that having everyone not list anything on one day will hurt them in the least just ask the oil companies about how much that tactic hurt them.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I'm not signing the petition. As stated before ebay is a company, they set policies and pricing. If they have to raise prices to stay profitable, so be it, without profit there is no business/eBay.

Some of their new policies suck, I'll still sell on ebay and buy on occassion, regardless. So far, eBay has done right by me.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
the biggest greif I have with thier new bs they came out with, if your a seller, you can receive negitive feedback, but you can no longer leave negitive feedback for buyers.

so they are going to get scum of the earth bidding on auctions, never paying who have 100% posistive feedback.
Now that is some bul. I mainly just buy anyway, and pay about the same time the auction ends (Paypal) so it doesn't affect me that much.

I just bought two window motors for my BKO for $25 shipped (Only needed the drivers, but figure the pass will go out soon enough and good price). I really only buy from Ebay if I am saving alot of money, or can't find it online elsewhere. most of the time I have been able to find a store selling the same thing for less, just takes some looking.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
ebay is kind of like when home depot was the only home warehouse, do-it-yourself store. everyone went there to shop, and vendors who wanted to sell their wares at home depot were anxious for the market of consumers and potential profits which home depot created.

however, alot of those sellers eventually went belly up, because despite the volume, home depot essentially told them what they would pay for their products. i know this from first hand experience with my company. the same thing seems to be happening at ebay - they are pricing themselves such that people cannot make the margins they need to on a daily basis.

the market is clearly clamoring for an alternative to ebay, but i imagine the start up costs would be/are pretty large. someone or some company with deep pockets can and eventually will offer an alternative, a free market always does, but until then people will have to deal with ebay and its pricing and policy structure.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
well i guess the week of the 18th will be when to get the cheapest shit off of ebay then huh.

I dont really care either way. Alot of people use ebay as there joba nd primary source of income, so they need to pay the fees. When ebay first came out it was just normal people selling off old shit they had. now it is a business. hell summit has an ebay store for ****s sake.

anyways all these boycott petitions are gay, next thing you will be telling me not to buy gas tomorrow to drive down oil prices. the shit aint going to work, and one week is not going to hurt shareholder so there is no point in it

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Im with just about everyone else here. If it really affects the sellers, the sellers should raise their prices to factor in the cost of the higher listing fees. The only real problem that I have with ebay is the scammers.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i guess the week of the 18th will be when to get the cheapest shit off of ebay then huh.
Um, no...Probably the exact opposite actually. But, using your infinite knowledge, please explain how you figure.

The way I see it: With so many people boycotting SELLING on ebay(IE: not listing stuff for sale, nobody said anything about not buying) then there will be LESS amounts of each item for people to bid on. Therefor, the amount of people bidding on an item will go up since they don't have as many options...higher prices :twak

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
i don't care

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The new policies are total bullshit. It will likely just result in the consumer paying higher prices as the fee hikes just totally piss me off. A 21 day hold is also bull pucky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts