Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined 24-hour fitness. I have been going lately and riding the bike, as well as the hand bike. I have been doing some weight training but not a whole lot because I am only in the moment of losing fat and gaining cardio.

While I was signing up, they offered me different rates of trainer sessions. They can coach me on diet, supplements, and the workout routine. They will also take all of my BMI and fat total measurements.

Do you think it is worth it or should I just keep doing the cardio routine?

Right now it is 30 minutes of regular bike (The sit down bike where your legs are in front of you pedaling. I increase resistance as I pedal in order to keep my heart rate up).
I then do 30 minutes of the arm/hand bike. It is basicly the same machine as above but you rotate the pedals with your hands instead of your feet. This is a pretty intense workout if you push yourself.

SO that is 60 minutes of cardio, and I am going to try and do this m-f

What do you think?

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
depends on what type of rates they are offering? If it's something like 10 bucks an hour extra, might be worth it for your first few weeks to get ideas, get a routine sorta set, bounce things off of him/her, etc. If it's like 25/hr then that's different..play it by ear. It won't hurt to get a trainer for a short period of time, but if it'll break the bank..just readup on the web.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Hard to say. A trainer could keep you motivated. He/she also keeps you on your toes by changing up your routine whether you like it or not. They also pressure you to work harder, lift more, run faster, run longer, bike longer, or whatever. Your body becomes immune to a workout pretty fast. I change mine up every 4-6 weeks.

You working out with anyone? People keep you motivated too. Sometimes i like working out with friends. But my biggest motivation is results. When I get stronger/bigger I know I am doing well and it keeps me going back.

Why you not lifting weights too? Lifting burns calories and will help you burn fat too. And it will make you stronger and more defined.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Trainers are great for the reasons listed above. It is easy to fall out of the routine even if you have been going for several months. Problme is the cost. I know several PT's and the hourly rates are not cheap. What were the rates they offered you?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
yes but dont let them pick one for you. find one you think you like, get his or her references and call around. just becuase the Gym Hired them for the cracker jack certs doesnt make them worth a shit.

The first thing they are going to tell you is to concentrate on weight training as well. This will increase your fat burning potential. If i was there I would hook you up for free.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
i recommend it. i found that hiring a personal trainer motivated me alot more than just going to the gym. it was harder to blow off a session when i was paying extra for it.

i would say try it out for a little while, see what you can learn from them, and then you'll have that knowledge and can continue on your own.

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
The girl I coach with is a trainer and has given me invaluable tips and a diet plan based on my height, weight, and exercise routine. So if you can afford it, I would definitley do it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
depends on how self-disciplined you are. I work out when I need to and when I have time. Usually 3 days a week now that school is taking up most of my life. If you can push yourself hard for 1.5-3hrs at the gym then do it. I have no problem pushing myself, just set goals and achieve them, dont settle for less.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is $100.00 for two 1 hour sessions. They have several highly ranked and multi-certified instructors/trainers, but the one I would pick is a 7 time 1st place national trainer of the year. He has worked for 24 Hour Fitness for 9 years. Out of several thousand trainers he seems to be the best in the nation.

They rank him based on client responses, client results, and continued education. So its seems that it is a legit system. My brother and a few of his friends have been seeing him since 2003 and they are both really happy with him.

My motivation is results. I seem to have hit a brick wall dieting and I need that extra oommph to keep the pounds falling off. As of this morning I am down 82 pounds but I want to lose 8 more by the 19th and another 10-12 by March 19th. (Feb 19th will be 5 months on diet, and March 6 months).

I am also switching up my eating a little. I bought a 3 Lb. bottle of Isopure Low Carb Protein powder stuff. A full serving (Two scoops) is 50 grams of protein, 1 net carb, 220 calories, and a bunch of other good stuff. I drink a half serving for breakfast, and another after my workout in the afternoon.
I also bought a big bottle of Benefiber, and I am adding a full serving of fiber to my protein drinks. The Benefiber is good stuff and it should help keep me regular.

On that note, my digestive system is out of whack. I have had to take laxatives a couple of times in the last two weeks just get get out what I have put in. I know this isnt the best thing to do but when you havent crapped in 2-3 days you get desperate. I am hoping that the Benefiber will work well so I can avoid the laxatives.

All in all I would say the biggest gain is I feel a thousand times better and I love going to the gym.

The only downfall is that I am taking it a little too seriously. I count every calorie/carb, I weigh my self several times a day, and I get depressed easily if I gain any weight. My wife thinks I am obsessing over it too much, but I am just trying to stay motivated. I am almost to the point now where I wont eat anything unless I know my body gains something from it. I have totally given up on taste for nutritional value.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
It is $100.00 for two 1 hour sessions. They have several highly ranked and multi-certified instructors/trainers, but the one I would pick is a 7 time 1st place national trainer of the year. He has worked for 24 Hour Fitness for 9 years. Out of several thousand trainers he seems to be the best in the nation.

They rank him based on client responses, client results, and continued education. So its seems that it is a legit system. My brother and a few of his friends have been seeing him since 2003 and they are both really happy with him.

My motivation is results. I seem to have hit a brick wall dieting and I need that extra oommph to keep the pounds falling off. As of this morning I am down 82 pounds but I want to lose 8 more by the 19th and another 10-12 by March 19th. (Feb 19th will be 5 months on diet, and March 6 months).

I am also switching up my eating a little. I bought a 3 Lb. bottle of Isopure Low Carb Protein powder stuff. A full serving (Two scoops) is 50 grams of protein, 1 net carb, 220 calories, and a bunch of other good stuff. I drink a half serving for breakfast, and another after my workout in the afternoon.
I also bought a big bottle of Benefiber, and I am adding a full serving of fiber to my protein drinks. The Benefiber is good stuff and it should help keep me regular.

On that note, my digestive system is out of whack. I have had to take laxatives a couple of times in the last two weeks just get get out what I have put in. I know this isnt the best thing to do but when you havent crapped in 2-3 days you get desperate. I am hoping that the Benefiber will work well so I can avoid the laxatives.

All in all I would say the biggest gain is I feel a thousand times better and I love going to the gym.

The only downfall is that I am taking it a little too seriously. I count every calorie/carb, I weigh my self several times a day, and I get depressed easily if I gain any weight. My wife thinks I am obsessing over it too much, but I am just trying to stay motivated. I am almost to the point now where I wont eat anything unless I know my body gains something from it. I have totally given up on taste for nutritional value.

That is cheap. Go for it. I charged 70 an hour when i was doing it. but we would always be in there a little over an hour. The hour is actual training not me watching them ride a bike or stretch. HMMM now that i think about it maybe i should raise my rates....hahahahah

Seriously nutritionist is what you need if you aint shitting. eat raisan bran, that always helps me out, that and fiber one bars. i know how you feel about not shitting for 2 or 3 days

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
you might also consider doing the spinning class where they get you on the stationary bike and kick your ass. or that class where you punch stuff. i think those are going to be better for you at this stage.
glad you hear you are working out, i started back up myself last month and already feel better.
next month it is inline hockey and after that i am getting back on the ice.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will consider it. I just dont want or need anymore muscle. Muscle is maintenance and it requires a lot or work to maintain it healthy. I just want to slim down and be healthy. I dont ever want to be a meathead roid freak look-a-like. My brother has a few friends like that and they really f*cking annoy me.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What vitamins should I be taking?

Right now I take an over the counter generic multivitamin similar to a Centrum and a B-Complex vitamin.

Is it worth it to buy those expensive GNC brand Mega Men vitamins, or do you have any other recommendations?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
What vitamins should I be taking?

Right now I take an over the counter generic multivitamin similar to a Centrum and a B-Complex vitamin.

Is it worth it to buy those expensive GNC brand Mega Men vitamins, or do you have any other recommendations?
I buy mega man sport form GNC. they are good. but you can double up your generic one and get the same affect

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I will consider it. I just dont want or need anymore muscle. Muscle is maintenance and it requires a lot or work to maintain it healthy. I just want to slim down and be healthy. I dont ever want to be a meathead roid freak look-a-like. My brother has a few friends like that and they really f*cking annoy me.
You wont unless you push some serious weight and eat some serious protien and do some serious roids.

that is one of the biggest misconception with weight lifting. i will get buffed out blah blah blah. Lifting weights will help you increase your metabolism. just dont lift for more then 1 hour day max

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
I am not doing to get ripped, I am doing to tone what is there so when I get to my goal I am not just a big blob of loose skin. Building the muscle you have will help you burn the fat you want. I was against it for the same reason, but as I lost weight I felt like I was losing strength so I had to do something about. Most of work is cardio, I hit the elliptical machine and the treadmill to get my heart rate and body temperature up, do 125 chrunches, then I lift, and end it with as many pushups I can squeeze out.

I am just taking a multi-vitamin, but from what I read earlier your diet is different than mine. From what I can tell you are doing an atkins type-no/low carb type diet. I am keeping my calorie intake to 2000 or less, eating 4-5 times a day. According to the numbers, without exercise I should lose 1.5lbs a week. I have dropped 18lbs in two weeks.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Just wonderin what changed around the time you stopped poopin. Diet? Exercise? Is that when you started the protein powders?

Just because you are lifting don't mean you need to bulk up to 'roid monster level. Getting the muscle you have in the best shape it can be in will help rev that fat-burning machine up. There is no arguing with that fact. Training with weight, even light weight WILL slim you down and get rid of fat much much faster. Someone already said it, if you go with the trainer he will tell you to lift some weight. A good trainer won't let you dictate the regime. They will show the bestest fastest healthiest and SAFEST way to achieve your goal. When I used to bounce at the local skank market my fellow bouncer was a trainer/boxer/lifter. He would tell me that if he didn't get commitment on the plan he came up with, he didn't bother. he would not take someones money and placate them with what they thought they wanted.

He now owns his own gym and is puttin a dent in his former workplace's client count.

Lift the weights. Do the machines if nuthin else.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Trainers are herd to judge. Ever notcie how most of them are too busy checkin out the trim throughout the gym? Especially at 24hr. But. if you find one you like, go for it! With my extensive backround in fitness and dieting(toot, toot!) I've founfd that motivation comes in many different forms.

Mo', as I call it, is pretty easy to obtain IMO. Me personally I found a celeb that I wanted to emulate. And that was Ed Norton when he was in American History X. He was shredded! So, throw on the headphones and rock out! Set a goal before EVERY workout. And then force yourself to meet that goal even if it means losing that protein drink in the process. The diet and the exercises are the easy part.

And there you have it! And it didn't cost you a dime. Feel free to PM me for workouts or whatever. Fitness is a huge passion in my life and I really enjoy helping others to reach they fitness goals. It sounds like there is a great wealth of knowledge and experience on this site so you have a lot of people to go to. I've actually been toying with the idea of of starting and "Official Workout Thread" or something of the sort. Anyone second that motion? I think that would benifit a bunch of us.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts