Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Vote for your July 2019 Full Size of the Month !!!!!!!

• d_rock

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • stm

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • TheHalfJamaican

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • youngDUMP

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Hey gang,
Thanks for having me here to compete this month; I'm looking forward to the battle!

A bit about myself:
  • Name is Derek
  • 27-year-old west-coast Canadian
  • My dad has been known around here for his clean/cool Ford trucks
  • Parents have both daily-driven 4x4s my entire life
  • As of this month, I've had my Bronco for 8 years
I plan to start out by summarizing my build thread here, BUT I will be splicing in some different/extra pictures, and adding some stories along the way. I will also break things up with some adventures as I go on them this month.

The online ad
I "needed" a bigger truck after 1st year university, and found this 78 Bronco Ranger XLT online for $3700CAD. Originally from California (no rust), and inspected/registered in my province. Turns out it was my dad's coworker selling it, so the whole deal went over pretty smooth. Bone stock, non-A/C, bench seats front and back, single shocks up front, 351M/C6/NP205. And no carpet.

The day I brought it home
I was so excited that these were the clearest pictures I could take of it.

And as it sits today
A lot has happened to get to this point... Of coarse its far from done... All that trim is back on (like I promised), just washed, and packed up my camping gear (was stored at my parents' place). Finally going camping this summer for the first time in years!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey y’all,

Glad to be here, thanks for the opportunity.

I’ll follow suit with a little info about myself. My name is Logan, and I am also 27 years old. I from Mississippi and still live here. I run a marina on Sardis Lake in North MS.

I got my Bronco on January 26th of this year so it’s been about 5 months now with me. I traded a Tahoe A friend and I had bought together to make some money on. Here’s the day I brought it home

And here’s the Tahoe I traded for it

And here’s how she sits today

It has been a blast so far.
I can’t wait to show y’all what I’ve had going over the past few months and what I have in store for this month.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
The early days
Time for a quick tour of the interior. Pretty clean with some of the usual wear: rip in the driver side of the front seat, cracked corners on the plastic door panels. Interior trim pieces for the rear top were brittle and cracking. With no carpet, it was pretty clear to see that the floor was completely solid front to back. I did pull the seats out and rattle-can primed the floor to help keep the weather, and any leaky seals, from changing that. You'll also notice the aftermarket sunroof up front. At first (in the summer) I thought this was cool. I learned to despise that sunroof, as you will see later.

My first fix was to swap the gas tank, which was rusty enough to leave drips of fuel on the ground. The Bronco originally had the 33 gallon tank installed, and it came with a new 25 gallon in the box. Ordered up a new sending unit and filler hose from JBG. The skid plate was too rusty to salvage, so I made new lower straps from mild steel flat bar.

Then I had to try it out topless. Summer job doing provincial park maintenance, I definitely had the coolest ride there. I borrowed a toolbox from my dad for a couple days to keep some things secure, but without a half-cab it looked kind of off to me

Cab marker lights added, and a pair of Hella 500s on the bumper:

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Hi, guys. Thank you for adding me to competition!

2-nd generation in our row, as can see… It’s mean, that maybe we have winner already)))) It’s give +billion to karma and votes))))
Real cool truck, d-rock!

But, let’s start…
My name is Alex, I’m 39 and I’m from…. Ug-h-h, as tell my Bronco license plate, Russia, Moscow… xDDDD

I’m a big fan of Broncos, I have two units – 4 generation, 87 year make, and 5 gen, 93 year of make, which will participate now, 5.0 engine, E4OD, no locks, almost all in stock.

Why Bronco? And how I started to be Bronco maniac? Really hard to tell for that. Bronco was my first car. And second too xDDDD When I searched something, I want that, it must be 4x4, also I love old American cars!!! First – I need to drive every holidays from city to suburbs, to village at long distance, second – russian village roads are very bad often, my place is not exclude from that rule. Another factor – sometimes I need to pull some trailers, take some cargo as spareparts or tools. And sure – it must be non-regular car, as rare for us!!! Really, I don’t hear before about Ford Bronco, till I started watched used car market in our country. I saw chevyes, f-series, dodges – but at that time all of them was in bad condition or very expensive. And at that moment I saw this!!! Bronco!!! Also I big fanatic of horses too!!! And that is!!! - Bronco!!! I need this xDDD After some meeting with owners, I make choice of best shape at that moment – it was 87 year, those truck, which take a win some year ago here, at FOTM xDDDD

And all was good, but after that I can’t live in quite anymore!!! I like this truck, and I want to collect all models!!! Sure, I understand, that maybe will next life xDDDD, than earlier truck – than more rare for us (and more expensive).
One day, couple years ago after my 87, I found man, who was sell this white 93 year Bronco. Only one thing broke me – body was in ideal condition – no any rust holes, all places, where is Bronco rotten very often, was in ideal!!! And my soul was broken xDDDD Deal was complete -i bought second truck xDDD And now talk will about this unit...)))))

·
Registered
114 Posts
Howdy guys, glad (and surprised) to be nominated for FOTM! Thank you @BigBlue 94 for your nomination.

Anyways, where do I start...

My name is Gabriel, or Gabe as everyone calls me, I am 18 and I live in Atlanta, Georgia, right outside of the city. If you live near me, you know how many kids my age drive Jeep Wranglers, and I never really understood the hype. The name "Bronco" seemed so much cooler, and I've always had the image in my mind of the Hess monster truck my 4th grade math teacher gave to me whenever I heard it. I have always loved big trucks, and cars in general. They have always been a huge part of my life. I think it only got worse when I started playing the Need For Speed games...

My dad had an Isuzu trooper when I was born, but had a 1975 Pontiac Firebird in Buccaneer Red as his first car. Much like mine, it was a project car, and he drove it back from purchasing it for $500 with a rusted out hole in the passenger side floor. Keep in mind he brought his dad, who was 6'2", so you can imagine how fun that was for him, folding up his legs and sitting for an hour. He was born in and grew up in Jamaica (hence my username) and his dad always used to drive Land Rovers and other various off-road vehicles, as his dad was in the Tobacco industry, working for Rothmans. And if you've ever been to Jamaica, some of the roads aren't that great, and may require you to trudge through a half a foot of mud, or a river to get to where you're going. He moved here at 16, and since then, he's owned the Firebird, and a bunch of Ford's, including a Crown Vic which which he daily's, and a Lightning which is gonna be his project for now.

I bought my truck a little over a year ago on June 16th from an insurance auction. It was a charity car, so it was in pretty rough shape...but I was up to the challenge. I had saved up a good amount of money from life-guarding and doing odd jobs the past two years, and I needed a car.

My dad found it, and we won the bid for $1200. I was stoked. When we got it, it seemed like whoever owned it last didn't maintain it, and had attempted to rebuild the water pump. They seemed to have given up halfway in, and donated the truck to charity. Since then I've been trying my best to restore it, and I have learned so much in the process. I was glad to have found this forum back in September, because this truck needed a lot more work than I had expected. Sure, it has taken some trips to the mechanic, covering myself from head to toe in grease, sweating over the engine and busting up my knuckles...what am I forgetting? Oh yeah, tears. Well, maybe some of those too...

...but I wouldn't have had it any other way! I love this truck so much and I've been through so much with it in only the course of a year, and boy has it come a long way.

So thanks to all of you guys who have helped me get this far, and the best of luck to my fellow competitors!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Thanks @stm!
Glad to see the whole roster here and looking forward to seeing what you guys have done with your Broncos!

Story time
Because I don't have pictures for these couple adventures.

That first summer the Bronco got some friends and I up to Tofino for surfing and camping. We had 5 surfboards on the roof, suspended between a gutter-mount rack over the cab and the rear window deflector in the back. Bouncing down the narrow winding Pacific Rim Highway eventually cracked the mounting brackets for the deflector right out of the top. I completely removed the deflector and plugged the holes in the top with body filler. The rest of the trip was awesome though. Great place for waves (in August) if you're ever in the area!

Back to university in fall 2011. I was on my way to class one morning, when suddenly the engine sputtered and died. I also lost power brakes and steering in the middle of traffic. I did manage to wrestle the Bronco to the side of the road, and got it to start again a couple of times, for about 10 seconds each time, which was enough to get it into a parking lot. I called my dad for help. He suggested checking the fuel filter on the carburetor, which turned out to be seriously clogged, probably from the bad fuel tank I had replaced. My previous truck, an 82 Toyota which I had completely rebuilt during high school, didn't have a filter on the carb, so that hadn't crossed my mind. So we went and picked up a new filter, put that in, and cranked it over. It started up right away, but I could hear my dad shouting to shut it off. The tired old seals in the carburetor couldn't handle the full supply pressure of fuel, and it was gushing fuel out onto the top of the engine. So we got my uncle's trailer, took the Bronco home, and I bought a new carburetor. I spent the next couple nights fiddling with engine timing and dialing the new carb in.

Some time around here I inherited the rear shocks from my dad's 04 F350, since he was upgrading, and his old ones were in better shape than what I had. They were a direct bolt-in. I recall having the rear end opened up at some point too, but I don't remember why, and keeping with the theme for this post, I don't have pictures. The gears must have been good, because I put them back in.

For the next couple years it was a balancing act between going to class (mech eng), work (pumping gas), work terms (various tech companies), and Formula SAE. The Bronco was pretty much just a badass daily driver for me, and good to haul half the race team to the track for testing. It was a bit of a slug off the line, but tons of power from 60-80kph. Ultimately, I got my butt financially kicked and had to park the Bronco. $60/week in fuel to get to the bus stop to go to school just wasn't working out for me. Tomorrow I'll show you how I planned to solve that.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Bronco and tuning an upgrading. What can I say… It’s really pain for us. Official laws today come to harder and harder each day. We are really don’t know about, what will next day. Couple years ago we can upgrade off-road vehicle free and was no clouds on horizon. But now officials turn all nuts. For example – for off-road vehicles are not allow big tires (only that, which printed in car papers or even on door pillar label), no custom bumpers, no lift, no additional lights. Every upgrade need to be approved by special licensing and technical commission. It very expensive, take a ages, and can be drown in bureaucratic procedures. Because my trucks are almost in stock. That 87 have big tires and that’s all. But today we received one more terrible news – they really want to restrict old ecological class cars with no Euro4 or Euro5 approves in cities… Like as in Europe…
Most unfortunately that our country don’t make no any variants and exclusions… If man in others country can own retro car or old car, just will pay additional tax or something, in our country all laws has no variants, it very stumpy and it enrage!!! But I told about already and let’s will not about sadness. So, I will not display powerful process of upgrade xDDDD

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
If we will tell about different stories – ok, I have a lot of.
Many stories related with my first Bronco – 87, but as never tell it before in previous competition, l’ll tell it, if you want.
Only one thing, guys – I really worried about my weak language – I think, that really hard and maybe even not interesting to read my attempts of explaining.

I planned to display for you small packs of Bronco pics with short stories, about trips or some actions, or even Bronco helping in my life xDD
So, how I use Bronco? First, sure – it help us at village, at farm, my friends are farmers and have piece of land in 100 miles far from city. Every weekend and holidays I spent time there. I have a horses and rent a stable at that territory.

Welcome to the jungle!!! xDD I

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
The motor hunt

Now there's a lot of strong opinions out there about what motor to put in a Bronco. I wasn't interested in any more power than I had, but I did want to keep the torque and improve the mileage. I also knew that I wanted to have a manual transmission again. The setup needed to be strong-running and ready to swap in without a full rebuild, due to budget. So that narrows things down a bit. Working with EFI on the FSAE car at school really built up my appreciation of letting a computer manage my fuel. To save time and money, a donor truck was needed. Preferably something streetable to shake down the setup before swapping into the Bronco.

Option 1: 5.0L V8 and M5OD
I ended up finding/buying a 1994 F150 XL with a 5.0L and a 5 speed. It was $400 with a burnt out clutch slave. I replaced the clutch and slave ($300) and drove it for a year to make sure it was the motor I wanted. Turns out it wasn't the right fit. Very high kms, and intermittent issues that left me stranded several times but were never resolved. I continued to use that truck as a parts-getter/workbench until I sold it for $700.

Option 2: 4.9L L6 and (M5OD or ZF S5-42)
Next I found another 1994 F150 XL with a 4.9L and 5 speed, the same M5OD as the other truck. Everyone I know who has owned a 90's F-series with a 4.9L (not running natural gas), says they wish they still had it. But there was a gem sitting in the box of this truck too... A ZF 5 speed which I immediately recognized from the crosshatch ribbing on the side. The motor sounded good, and the guy claimed the top end had been redone. 2nd gear in the M5OD was shot, but I got this truck for $400 also, and $50 more got me the ZF trans. At this point I didn't know which bellhousing it had, but as a rebuildable core it would at least pay off the whole truck.

Starting the motor swap

I picked option 2 in case you didn't guess. I made very short work of tearing down the truck, and salvaged everything under the hood, the computer, all the wiring, ABS components, pedal assembly, and so on. The ZF turned out to be the right fit for the 4.9L. Peering in the PTO covers revealed a clean case with good gears, so it got some fresh oil and mated right up to the motor with an all new clutch and slave.

Next I drove the Bronco into my dad's garage and started to pull that apart... The big old 351M gave a final deep growl, then I shut it off and extracted it.

And then I started thinking about how to set up my old automatic pedal assembly for a hydraulic clutch...

And how to find or make perches for the 4.9L to sit on the frame...

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Engine perches

The 4.9L evolved from the older carbureted 300, and as far as short blocks go they are the same. Ford put the 300 into trucks in the 70's, and frame geometry around there was shared with the Bronco, so that meant there had to be a factory set of engine mounts and perches that would work for my swap. The motor mounts were easy enough to find, and I ordered those from JBG. The required perches are the same as was used to support 352's and 360's. I researched and called around, and even got a Ford parts guy to check the archives and confirm that I was after the right part numbers for the perches (6028 and 2029). Finally I just mocked up the motor and trans, took some measurements, and made my own factory-appearing perches. The parts were waterjet from 1/8" cold rolled steel and formed on my truck-mounted brake...

I TIG welded the perches together, sandblasted, and painted them with POR-15 Chassis Coat. The frame forward of the cab also got POR-15'd.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Engine work

Like I said, a full rebuild wasn't in the cards at this time, but I did do the following:
  • Oil pan removed/painted. Crankcase inspected... nothing alarming or unexpected, all bolts tight.
  • Lifter cover and valve cover removed and parts inspected... no problems. Powder coated the covers.
  • New water pump
  • New distributor cap and rotor
  • New spark plugs and wires... I don't recall whether I replaced the coil also
  • Injectors re-capped and sealed
  • New fuel pressure regulator
  • New AIR and thermactor tubes and valves
  • New EGR

It was a tight squeeze getting that motor in place between the firewall and... oh yeah, forgot to mention I have a radiator from a '76 camper special. That went in shortly after I got the Bronco, being that it was available and the stock one was leaking. Under the Bronco it was a tight squeeze for the ZF as well. With the engine sitting as low as possible, I made a custom crossmember for the transmission. I still needed 2" of body lift to make room for the transfer case without cutting up my solid floor.

For a transfer case, I started out with a BW1356, but switched to a BW1345 because:
  • I wanted a fixed yoke rear output rather than the slip yoke
  • The rear CV yoke from my old NP205 fit perfectly on the front output of the 1345, both spline and seal
  • All 1345 cases use a gear-driven speedometer, whereas only some (Bronco) 1356 cases do, and those are not common around here
  • Slightly lower low gear (2.72:1 instead of 2.69:1)

I rebuilt my driveshafts, and had them shortened and balanced at a local shop. The front got my old rear CV shaft, and the rear got the front shaft from the F150 with a conversion joint to the stock 9" rear.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I cut from civilization now)))))) I'm at ranch and here very poor internet and I use my laptop with cell modem.
But I still is online and can see all activitity in FOTM)))))
I took pics and ready for post it at Monday)))

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Back to the future

Tomorrow I will continue telling you all about my build process.

Today, not only did I get my Bronco off the pavement, but I finally tried my hand at wheeling. I know that this will look pretty tame to a lot of you, but it was a big step for me. My girlfriend even went with me, and took some pictures (she's awesome!). This area is an undeveloped lot in an industrial part of the city, and the owner doesn't seem to mind people playing here... There were a lot of dirt bikes, and a few quads and side-by-sides ripping around, and the terrain is carved up pretty good from them.

This was definitely the toughest obstacle for me, and I had to clear it to reach the bulk of the trails, and again on the way out. Its a fairly steep incline that tops out on a narrow ledge with a sheer 4 foot drop on the other side. Following the ledge, it blends down into the trails on the other side. So I had to climb and then turn sharply to the right on my way up, and shuffle a bit to avoid going off the other side. My girlfriend did a great job of guiding me, though it stressed her out a bit. Going back down later was much easier, though I did have to shuffle a bit to square up with the slope.

Rain hasn't been too heavy here recently, so the marshy spots were pretty small. I probably would have made through these spots fine, but I wasn't about to risk getting stuck in the muck, given that I'm running the stock open diffs still, and my winch isn't installed yet. So I stuck to the dry areas, which was plenty fun!

The dirt was very soft and loose, but this was the only moment where I lost traction. With a bit of speed and a marginally better line, I maintained enough weight on all wheels to pull through.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Crossed wires

Anyone who has transplanted an EFI engine including computer into any other vehicle will recognize this issue. Where do I draw the line? Which original circuits do I keep, and how do I integrate them effectively, cleanly, and most importantly: safely. There is no single source that will show you how to do this, but fortunately my technical background and organization pulled through. And the many build threads I shadowed along the way.

A couple things to note:
  • Always label your wires (and vacuum hoses). Even if its vague, it will have a better chance of saving your butt later.
  • Pay attention to current limits (fuse sizes). Unless you're prepared to calculate wire cross sections and heat due to current, trust the factory fuses and upsize any wires that you tap into or replace.
  • Relays are your friend. Know and understand how and where to use them.
I peeled all of the wrap off the wiring harness from the donor F150, and adjusted the layout to better fit my Bronco. The 94 headlight switch was a direct bolt-in, so I pushed the 78 knob into it. For now, the 94 instrument cluster got zip-tied in place. Big plans here, will share soon...

Original 78 Bronco circuits/switches that I kept:
  • Ignition switch (relays to make up for having fewer circuits than the donor)
  • High beam switch
  • Wipers and switch
  • Heater blower and switch
  • Tailgate window and switch
Pretty sure my parents thought I was crazy.

Get it together

The clutch master I mounted between the brake booster and the driver side inner fender, along with my ECM and all the electrical plugs. I found a pedal assembly from a 79 F250 with a clutch pedal, so I replaced my brake pedal pivot with that clutch pedal. The clutch pushrod mount from the donor got cut up and welded to that pedal, and I made a heavy duty replacement pushrod to deal with the... frustrating... plastic bushing that frequently breaks and falls off on hydraulic clutch trucks.

But eventually, during my last term of university, it all came together:

I was extremely happy to get my Bronco on the road again. I wasn't expecting this picture, and the sun was in my eyes.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My first full day with the Bronco was spent at the lake riding the bottom with a lot of friends. We had full size rigs, mid size rigs, sxs’s and 4wheelers with us. Lots of mud flats, ditch crossings, hill climbs, and rutted up trails. At this point in time all I knew about the bronco was that it ran, most everything worked, 4wd worked but the front gears were not matched to the rear, and the radio sang played a good tune. We rode all day, I got pulled a few times and did some pulling myself. The 35” a/T’s with mismatched gears left much to be desired in the mud. With the overdrive up front she was quite squirmy in the ruts. At the end of the day she drove home fine and got a good bath the next morning.
Here’s the group we started with

Before long the group had doubled in size

Creek crossings are my favorite

My sister came along for the first time as well

And here’s our bunch, that’s me in the back left in the red shirt

And the Sardis sunset

The whole day went great. I had no issues with the bronco whatsoever. I was ecstatic.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I love off-roading in sand. IDK, why, and here, in Russia so less places with desert terrain, but I like it and know about sand driving more than others. xDDDD It's my own little win, many drivers here don't know about sand nothing xDDDD

One of main thing is down tire pressure, about 10 psi at regular rims, and you can do it without scare of jumping tire off - just rotate steering wheel with accuracy and look for deep ditch and logs under your wheels.
Many peoples do nothing with pressure, when going in sands. And more - they going there on aggressive mud tires, which dig their trucks quickly xDDDD

It was only start of those day - I decided make some pics at pretty lonely scenery before starting.... What??? That is ->

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
After couple hours Bronco madness start here))))
As I already told, Bronco are super rare for us, but can happened day at years, when all 4 and half Broncos crawl out from garages and meet in place xDDDDD All, who can, who not in repairing, not in big restoration progect, not in full disassembling, who not busing at the end.

It was light off-roading, BBQ meeting more xDDDD
It was Moscow region meeting - many others are far and can't drive here. Sure, many others can't came because not heard about, some owners not in club, some was worked or busy. But we will to try every year to go there.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
The setback

Winter 2016/2017 started out great. The Bronco crawled me to work and back through the snow, and up the local mountains for some shred time. Meanwhile half the city was sliding around in cars with summer tires. My only gripe was that aftermarket sunroof... not only was it leaky, but condensation would form on the glass, and then drip onto my lap.

But on one particular day, we too suffered the weather: black ice on a clear-plowed highway cut the day short before it had even begun. My Bronco landed on the driver side and spun around. It was a long day in the clinic getting checked out, but my girlfriend and I were OK, and we slowly drove the Bronco back home. The rear top and driver side window were gone, so it was pretty cold. The following weekend, we drove it back to my parents' place, so I could start fixing it up again...

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.