Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright ladies and gentlemen, my first rodeo here so bare with me!

Let me introduce your contestants for the June 2020 Fullsize Competition!

@Dr V
Screenshot_20200602-080304_Photos.jpg

@84mudhorse
97B76296-F238-4975-8232-5350DA1CF2A8.jpeg

@newageroman
bronco3.jpg

@JoelS

@Desert Bronco
20200413_141827.jpg

@drb75088
1586620075568.png

@TexasA&M
IMG_20190330_185921298_HDR.jpg

There are PRIZES available, but I'll have to check on what they are, since I'm new at this.

Let's see all those pics and videos and hear the stories of your life in your BRONCO!

Good Luck to All!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Contestants please send me the picture you want in the intro post next to your name. PM me the link.

Reactions: allcruisen

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
508 Posts
Ok! Here we go.... just jumping right in here...so my first bronco was a 1984 broken down mess that I bought off my brother-in-laws dad for $400...C6 and 300-I6 engine...it is where 84Mudhorse comes from...I wanted a truck to bang around in and thought breathing life back into this old bronco would be a cheap and fun toy that I didn’t care about breaking......except I could not pull it out of the grave because the motor was seized and it was a real rust bucket...it was scraped for $300 and I started over with another bronco....

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Next up was a bronco I found at a dealership....someone traded this bronco in on a Chevy Avalanche....I thought I was money ahead at first because someone had swapped the entire drivetrain out with a one ton replacement...gone was the 302 in place was a 460...Dana 60 axles front and rear...leafs and shackles...E4OD tranny and 1356 tcase...no more TTB...

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had found a toy to work with!....or so I thought...I knew it had issues but I did not know how bad they were...I found out quickly though....it broke on me the day I bought it...I took it straight to a mud hole and learned it’s quirks...first came the electrical issues...battery dying and fuses blowing...fans not staying running and engine lacking power and getting hot...and oh yeah...the transfer case had no shift lever inside the cab so I had to get out and manually shift the tcase into 4x4 under the truck every time a hard hit knocked it out of 4 into 2 wheel drive or neutral...

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
I also learned the top had no bolts in it so it came off when I tried to pull someone out of a mud hole lol...flew backwards onto the ground...all in all it did bring fun...it also forced me to learn a great deal about how to keep it running...people still thought it was cool even though it was a slug just because it was big...it had 46inch tires on it but no real power to turn them..I had to drive it in 4Lo and first gear to get anywhere...oh yeah the transmission wouldn’t shift automatically either...only manually lol...it definitely had its quirks but at that time it was just a toy to beat on..

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Eventually it does get frustrating when your crap toy...craps out... the first time I drove my 1990 Eddie Bauer Fullsize Bronco...it broke on me just driving up on the trailer...the rear driveshaft was at such a horrible angle that the yoke holding the Ujoint Would rub on the output flange of the transfer case and it had become so weak the the yoke wore through and snapped and my driveshaft fell to the ground...this problem was fixed with a new yoke but it wasn’t long before that broke again...the driveshaft was at 28degrees if I remember...

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Here is the remedy for my horrible angle at the time...a company I found in Arizona custom made me a 2.5 ton CV driveshaft guaranteed to operate continuously up to a 60 degree angle...I did not ever have another driveshaft issue....at least where breakage was a factor...the power robbing angle was still atrocious but I got around it...

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Next Monday you will learn what transpired that made me stop driving the bronco and park it....then craft my plan for the major overhaul that eventually became....Whiplash the Mudhorse....

Attachments

·
Registered
'96 XLT, 5.0, E4OD, Electric 4X4, Automatic Hubs
232 Posts
First off I want to say that after only being a Bronco owner for only a few weeks, I am honored and really excited to have been nominated and be part of this awesome competition. I look forward to seeing everyone’s Broncos and hearing their stories. After wanting a Bronco for over 10 years, I was so happy when my 16 year old Son picked it as his first car. We were so lucky to have been given some cash by my parents (Grandma and Grandpa) for my Son Aidan to buy his Bronco. We spent some time learning and researching (thanks to many awesome members on this group) and became informed shoppers. We found a 1996 XLT 302 with 150K miles with VERY little rust. Over the next month I will share our journey. The next three pictures will show the day we brought it home, the first time we took off the top, and where it is now in its progress. There is SO much more to do and so glad you all will be there with us!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Look what came today!! Really excited to put these on. With the decision to paint the Bronco black, we have had a few cool ideas of accents. One of those being the grill. In preparation to paint the grill black, I hit it with some fine sand paper to prep for the paint. Well, the fine sand paper gave it a brushed steel look. I’ll post some pictures of test fit later when we install the lights. We have been waiting on the lights to make a final decision if we like it and then finding a way to give this brushed steel look.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,412 Posts
Nice start guys! I'll also throw this out there....if anyone watching wants to chat with the contestants about their Broncos or ask them questions, there's a thread for that! Be sure to use the mention (@ + username) so they get notified of the post. Carry on! Let's see those Broncos!

Here's the FOTM Chat Thread:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well here we go....

First off I want to thank Broncomom for nominating me, I've only been on this site for a few months, and I'm absolutely flattered to be part of this. The knowledge on this forum is amazing especially when trying to troubleshoot items on a 40 year old vehicle.

So my story starts in 1978, I was 5 years old and lived in West Virginia, Charleston to be exact, with my parents. My father ordered his first brand new Bronco which was a 78 blue metallic with a black top and blue interior. Automatic C6. It was my mother's first real car because they had only been married for a few years. He bought it for her to get through the hills and the snow in West Virginia and to haul my sister and I around. My parents kept the Bronco for my mom for 9 years and I drove it in the winters in Erie PA to school and back in 89 and 90. My father then sold it as I went off to college and moved into something newer and bigger. An Explorer if I remember correctly. I went off to school for eight years and came back and always had a love affair for the Bronco and the 78 79 body style. My mother fell ill mid summer of 2019 and I was sitting in the hospital with her and we were reminiscing about the old Bronco that she had. She told me you should get one of those again someday, we had a lot of fun in that truck. So we sat there and searched for cars online, eBay and all of the usual sources looking for a clean one to bring back home. We found this burgundy with candy apple one and loved the color. I sat up there with her for weeks in the Cleveland Clinic and watched diabetes gradually take her from us and I bought the Bronco a week before she passed in November. So now it's become a bit of a heartfelt mission for me to finish this Bronco and bring it back to its original condition. Once we got her home my 17 year old daughter who is my garage rat with me for all of the other cars that we have done, took quite a liking to the Bronco. At that point I decided that we needed to make it safe, for the kids to drive, and the full teardown and restoration began. We started the teardown in February of this year and it went off to the body shop. My introduction picture shows it the day that we had it delivered and washed it right off of the car carrier. I will post pictures of the entire process throughout the month including the teardown, from start to finish. The Bronco currently sits awaiting the roof to be painted and the interior to be placed. And then it is fully restored, we should be completed by the end of this month. Perfect timing. Eric

·
Registered
232 Posts
Aidan and I’s goal is to accomplish something on the Bronco everyday. Today was a rainy afternoon in South Florida. The rain felt nice while we scrubbed down all the interior parts of the front end. Once everything was clean we put it aside to dry while we did a test fit of the new headlights with the grill looking like “brushed steel”. Aidan thought it looked cool, but the final consensus and decision of the day was that the grill will be black.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So as you can see our Bronco is now Black. This is the story of how she ended up being black. One of the top priorities in our build was to put a fresh coat of paint on. She had a couple minor rust areas that we wanted to repair and protect and she also had some dents and panel long scratches. We are on a budget for sure with this build and are prioritizing to get Aidan on the road with his new ride. He currently has his permit and will be getting his license in August. So these months leading up have been a great opportunity for us to get her ready. Interestingly enough, there have been some really cool similarities with my first car and with Aidan's Bronco. My first car was a 77 Trans Am. She was Silver on the outside and Red on the inside. Basically exactly opposite of Aidan's original Bronco color scheme. My Mom bought it for me when I was 15 and I only had my permit. She was sitting in the driveway, and I couldn't help but want to work on her, but didn't know much about cars. My parents were divorced and my Dad lived near but wasn't there on a daily basis to teach or help. I decided to start doing what I thought I could. I started taking seats out, door panels off, and just about anything on the interior that I could. It felt really good to learn about how she was put together and I had ideas of how to make her mine and custom. In the end, I was not able to finish the interior myself, and my Mom thankfully helped me in finding someone (and paying) to bring my ideas to reality. Fast forward to today, my parents actually live together as really good friends. They had told Aidan from the time he was young that they would help him buy his first car when the time came. The amount available to spend was set and Aidan and I knew what we had to work with. Well, the time came and so did our search for his Bronco. The day we brought her home, her interior was so rough, we both decided to start there. It was therapeutic for me to be taking out the interior of this Bronco with my boy, it brought me back to when I was 15 only now I was doing it with my Son. When I sent the first pictures to my parents, my Dad reflected and mentioned he had missed out on these moments with me. Now, it is our mission to drive the Bronco 2 hours up to Grammie and Grandpas as soon as we can to work on a project with Grandpa. I can't tell you how good I think that is going to feel. It will be Grandpa, Father, and Son Bronco. Getting back to our now Black Bronco. I had started some threads on here discussing color and never once did I mention Black. Well, this is how it went. We got multiple estimates and there was a wide range of pricing. One of the places I went was the same shop that had painted my Trans Am when I was 16. She had to be painted because I hit someone from behind while not paying attention. Another lesson I am hoping to instill in Aidan from my experience. Crossing my fingers on this one, lol. They were middle of the road on price and offered to have her done right away. They offered us color choices from a Nason 2K factory pack. There were some Reds that we contemplated to keep her close to what she was originally. But, Aidan had really grown fond of the idea of a Blue and the color sheet also had a shade of blue that was exactly what Aidan really wanted (Miami Blue) but, it was not in production any more. We found a way to get that color formula but it was going to cost more. Aidan and I talked about it and with so much more to do and Black being his second choice, he made the decision to not go with the Blue, so that we could complete the other projects he had in mind. So, in the end it was not exactly what he wanted, but it boiled down to prioritizing and making choices and hopefully a life lesson. I am not going to lie, I really wanted that blue too.... The shop painted everything for us inside and out. The only place that you still see just a little red is under the hood. As we work on the engine in the future, we will cover that up no problem. So, in the end it worked out great and was a pretty awesome feeling driving her home from the same paint shop I had my first car painted at 28 years ago. So, she was Red, almost Red again, almost Blue, and in the end Black.

Just a little bit of red left under the hood......

·
Registered
577 Posts
OK, So My story starts where another FSB story ends. RIP Rusty - the jade green 78 - I STILL have his rear bench seat and plop my skinny butt on it daily in the garage. A tornato landed a tree across his back in 2010 - save my pops 83 Scrambler. Found Buck for a cool grand in Scottsboro AL with a fresh engine rebuild and broken front pumpkin. The only thing I remember about that day was my dad running it on the test drive and saying "Sh.....t yeah this thing has some power." He offered to buy it if I didn't. Best deal I've ever had so far...

So I bought it, I ran it stock, I added a few small gauges but that's about it. I had some oil pressure issues and heard a pop and thought it blew the engine. So it sat in a parking lot in Munngummerrry for about 3 years. Then we moved to HSV and everybody was stunned that I wanted to drag the thing up here instead of "just selling it". I had already sold off my moto, so I clenched and paid a friend 350 to haul it up here. Then it sat for another year - then I scraped up enough money last year to start working on it.

First off was the oil pressure issue. I pulled the dizzy and spun the shaft and it held pressure! then got it running. First revival steps...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Today the carpet arrived! We did some test fitting in the garage and then decided to goof around and setup the Ford Bronco chairs that we found in the Bronco. They definitely need some cleaning. Looking forward to using them on some wheeling adventures!

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.