Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bronco Snob
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of you that frequent junkyards, I've always got my radar up for a few select things as I'm strolling through my local pick pulls. One of these is a rear bumper. I've had a picture in my mind for awhile of what I wanted and had decided it was probably something I'd have to build when I get a welder. But waiting sucks, and I'm really tired of not making progress on my Bronco.For some reason, I found myself in the Mopar section. When this caught my eye. It's off a mid 80s Dodge ram 50 (a mini truck). I didn't have my camera with my when I removed the bumper, but I snapped a pic on a return trip.
Donor & Bumper
Rpbump1b.jpg

IMG_20150224_125522070_HDR_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg

IMG_20150221_170059132_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg

Rpbump2.jpg

I've never been a fan of the stock Bronco bumper. The lines are all wrong, in my opinion, and they like to bend. I like a bit of a cleaner look, with some function. Roll pans look clean, but don't offer much in protection, jacking, or recovery. My plans were to build some type of a roll pan bumper eventually, but..I like to modify stuff and this looked to be a good candidate.

·
Bronco Snob
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's what I came up with.

Rpbump4.jpg

Rpbump3.jpg

Rpbump9.jpg

Rpbump7.jpg

IMG_20150226_083656907_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg

IMG_20150226_135619474%20(1)_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg

Attachments

·
Bronco Snob
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price breakdown. Bumper $23
Paint. $50
Hardware. $15
Tow loops. $5
Yard fee. $2. =$95

Ordered some led license plate light bolts.. that puts the grand total right over $100. Not to shabby :thumbup

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,653 Posts
when I first saw the pic of the baby Ram, I thought you must be smokin' too much.
Have to admit, it doesn't look 1/2 bad.
Still a little small... but definitely fills the "rollpan" look being nicely tucked up in there.

Good Job! :thumbup
How did it tuck up against the frame, width-wise?

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's awesome. I'll try to look for something similar whenever I go to a junkyard again. It's not like we need step bumpers anyways, since we have a tailgate. Maybe some nonskid on the middle "shelf" there so you could have a convenient step on the back?

·
Registered
402 Posts
A custom welded steel rear for $23 = absolute steal ! Plus it cleaned up nice, and looks great on the Bronco.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
looks pretty sweet
those dodge ram 50 trucks were pretty good in the trails in stock form
I had a buddies we had water over the seat more than once,couldnt kill it
and he never did any maintenance except oil changes

I too am always on the look out for something I can re purpose

·
Bronco Snob
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are a few more pics in better light. Yeah, Pepe..I'd like it to be a little bigger. As you can see in the last pic, there's a 1 7/16" gap on all 3 sides. A 3/4" gap would probably look better. So if I were to build one, I'd make it 1 1/2" longer, and maybe 2" taller, so the bottom line is closer to the body line...dig? I could tuck it in a little tighter..but I figure out that distance it provides a little protection from backing into walls..or trees..etc..my tail lights are pretty vulnerable now. The mounts that are welded on are 1/2" steel. It's stout, and heavy for its size..50lbs..but with losing the stock bumper and receiver my Bronco shed about 60 lbs or so. I should mention that the tow hooks are bolted to the frame, not the bumper.

I know what you mean about mini trucks, rusty. My first truck was a Chevy luv 4x4..beat the hell outta the thing..kept on goin. Every since then I've always said...the best Chevy I ever owned was an Isuzu..lol

Thanks for the comments.

20150227_082018.jpg

20150227_082026.jpg

20150227_082136.jpg

20150227_082130.jpg

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Not bad.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
That looks great. I also originally had a dodge junkyard bumper on my bronco. It was very bad compared to yours though. My new one my buddy built with steel he got for free so it was cheap and while it looks like a roll pan the weight of the whole rear end of the truck can be lifted from it. This is an old picture though before the tag and tag light. Can't beat cheap or free..

·
Registered
383 Posts
I know what you mean about mini trucks, rusty. My first truck was a Chevy luv 4x4..beat the hell outta the thing..kept on goin. Every since then I've always said...the best Chevy I ever owned was an Isuzu..lol
I too owned two LUVs. One '81 4x4 gas, and a '82 2wd Diesel. My dad has owned about 4 of the P'UPs. You can't kill those trucks... unless you're then-friend buys one off of you and forgets to tighten the dizzy and throws a rod out of the block, DOH!

What if you put a little weatherstripping around the bumper to fill the gaps? I think that'd help the aesthetics a little bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts