Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Bronco XLT, 5.0L, automatic, 3.55 gears
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think, is it worth the risk?

I found a 5.0 engine and e4OD transmission from a 1992 f150 for $100 bucks. Sometimes I'm a sucker for a good deal and overlook some obvious warning signs. The engine is complete still has the throttlebody, ac compressor, alternator, oil pan and exhaust manifolds attached. The seller says it's from a wrecked truck that ran and it's been sitting outside on a pallet covered with a tarp for a couple of months. Unknown mileage. I figured if the engine is crap I can probably get my money back out of the transmission or engine parts. If it's good I'd like to rebuild and drop into my 1991 bronco.
My biggest concern is that it may have cylinder wall rust from sitting outside. On whichever cylinders happen to have open exhaust valves. Biggest pro is that it should be a roller block/cam.

I think worst case I'm out $100 and some time.

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
549 Posts
If it turns over 360 degrees without a clunk or a stuck point, I would say go for it.
But, first pull off a valve cover. If it is full of sludge bad, then pass, but if not get it.
For a $100 you can get most of that back in scrap. Even the core on the tranny is worth more than that.

·
Man of endless projects
10,331 Posts
thats not a bad price. but i wouldnt necessarily jump on it unless you have an e4od

being a 92 it probably has the older accessories with the 2g alternator. i think 93 is when they went to the newer accessores that uses the 3g alternator

if its actually a 92, it should be a roller cam but not a good one. should have the same specs and firing order as your flat tappet cam. your block is a roller ready block also just not a roller cam. 94 is when they got a decent roller cam

if you are actually looking for a 302, i would use www.car-part.com and try and find a place that has a 5.0 from a 96 Ford Explorer. itll cost alot more ($400-500 around me) but it would be a much better starting point, they pull the engine and it should have some warranty to it. GT40 heads, better injectors, decent roller cam, newer overall engine. the GT40 intake you can sell to make some money back. you can use or ditch the accessories. generally speaking they had an easier life being in a lighter vehicle making more power

then again for that 100$, you can try it, if its bad you use it to pay for the core chage of the Explorer engine

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,707 Posts
Buy it fir $100! I would.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The wrecking yard here charges a $250.00 core deposit on engines and $75.00 for transmissions… so even if it’s junk, you would make money taking it to the wrecking yard to trade in on a bother engine or transmission.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the engine. Planning to pick it up in the morning. Looks ok from here, the fan blade shaft looks bent otherwise i dont seen any other visisble damage. I'll get it home and open it up to see what she's hiding.
Motor vehicle Waste container Grass Pollution Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
549 Posts
It doesn't look too bad, but the open end of the throttle bodies is pointing up, so there could be water sitting in the intake plenum. I would roll the motor over so its upside down to see if any drains out the throttle body, and block the TB open. Or look in there with a flashlight to see if any water is sitting in the plenum.

If not when you tip the motor up and it has water in the intake, it will drain the intake into the cylinders through any open valves. Not a big deal if it does, if you pull the plugs out and turn the motor over a few times to get any water out. Then put a few shots of PB Blaster or WD40 in the cylinders

Having water sit in a cylinder(s) for weeks is what kills junkyard motors.

the driver's side exhaust manifold looks cracked. Oh well, you needed headers anyway.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,735 Posts
I don't think roller cam was installed on truck blocks until 1993. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure. The blocks were capable though for roller cam.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think roller cam was installed on truck blocks until 1993. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure. The blocks were capable though for roller cam.
Looks like you could be right. I pulled a pushrod and it was about 6.25" which suggests roller cam right? Looking through the pushrod hole with the borescope I didn't see any of the dog bones. Just have to pull it apart and find out.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,735 Posts
Looks like you could be right. I pulled a pushrod and it was about 6.25" which suggests roller cam right? Looking through the pushrod hole with the borescope I didn't see any of the dog bones. Just have to pull it apart and find out.
The official guage length for roller cam 302's is 6.272 inches. The official length for flat tappets is 6.905 inches

·
Man of endless projects
10,331 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think this engine was in a rollover accident. I start taking it apart and lots of bent bolts, cracked aluminum brackets, cracked base of the intake manifold. It came with a reman e40d. Should be able to sell a few parts though.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,707 Posts
Strip it down and have it hot tanked.

Reactions: slimpartywagon

·
Man of endless projects
10,331 Posts
that pretty good compared to the 302 currently in my F250.

the oil was pudding, wouldnt even drain without some motivation. water pump was siezed because the coolant turned to crystal. 2 years later and still rips 5k rpm doing dounuts just fine. granted i have a new engine going to replace it soon

Food Motor vehicle Recipe Metal Machine

Automotive tire Snout Road surface Water Working animal

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that pretty good compared to the 302 currently in my F250.

the oil was pudding, wouldnt even drain without some motivation. water pump was siezed because the coolant turned to crystal. 2 years later and still rips 5k rpm doing dounuts just fine. granted i have a new engine going to replace it soon

View attachment 198224
View attachment 198225

That's wild! This engine isn't soo bad. I pulled the heads and now everything goes round like
it should. Cylinders were sludgy but cleaned up well, no visible damage. Still working on the last torque converter bolt. Whoever put in the reman'd trans rounded it off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Looks savable. I noticed with many wrecks they once had decent owners till the last person bought them neglected and wrecked them. So technically they are savable after fixing the neglect if it's wasn't for too long.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts