Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,... i found out my new shorty headers have sprung a leak!!!,... i traced it down to the first port on the drivers side bank and its comin' from the two mating surfaces,.... i figured i'd just whip em' off, pull it out and have a damn good looky at it to see if its leaking anywhere else, check the gasket, repair if needed and fire paste it for good measure,.... all good,........ except the damn bolt heads have been rounded off by the mech that fitted em' for me!!!:doh0715::banghead,... so i was wonderin' if you could give me the exact dimensions of the bolts used in the exhaust manifold,... so i can go to the hardware store and order em' in ten times cheaper than our local shop,..... who would have to ship em' in from your end! i know y'all are the best to ask! cheers guys!:beer:drinkbud:rockon

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
If'n I remember theyz 3/8" course thread Andy

If'n I wuz U I'd haul out the one you can get to easily and walk it on in and get it in Sheffield steel :thumbup

Sixlitre

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If'n I remember theyz 3/8" course thread Andy

If'n I wuz U I'd haul out the one you can get to easily and walk it on in and get it in Sheffield steel :thumbup

Sixlitre
good ol' six!,..... cheers buddy,.... i'm glad they are'nt a dumb size or oddball design that i wouldn't find elsewhere:beer:drinkbud:rockon:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
good ol' six!,..... cheers buddy,.... i'm glad they are'nt a dumb size or oddball design that i wouldn't find elsewhere:beer:drinkbud:rockon:thumbup
Now you got me second guessing Andy

but, as I say, IIRC they were 3/8-UNC. Here's a pic of the header bolts next to 7/16" header ball flange bolts;

Now the heads took a 3/8" wrench and they look the same size as the threaded shafts to me.

Worse comes to worse they'd be 5/16", but IIRC they were 3/8"

Sixlitre

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now you got me second guessing Andy

but, as I say, IIRC they were 3/8-UNC. Here's a pic of the header bolts next to 7/16" header ball flange bolts;

Now the heads took a 3/8" wrench and they look the same size as the threaded shafts to me.

Worse comes to worse they'd be 5/16", but IIRC they were 3/8"

Sixlitre
AHA!,... thanks dude the ones on te right look to have the same type of head as mine,... they look pretty average/easy tofind elsewhere instead of going to the stealership/autoparts store! should save me a big headache! thanks again!:beer:drinkbud:rockon

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
AHA!,... thanks dude the ones on te right look to have the same type of head as mine,... they look pretty average/easy tofind elsewhere instead of going to the stealership/autoparts store! should save me a big headache! thanks again!:beer:drinkbud:rockon
Sounds good but remember

most 3/8" course bolts do not have 3/8" wrench heads. They normal have 9/16" wrench heads.

The reason header bolts use smaller wrenches is because headers are tight and you need all the room you can get.

Sixlitre

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what length are the bolts on the right?:drinkbud:beer:rockon:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
what length are the bolts on the right?:drinkbud:beer:rockon:thumbup
Short of pulling one out for you Andy

I'd have to guess at about 1" or maybe ever so slightly more (not as much as 1 1/4" that's for sure.

If you think that the threaded shaft is 3/8" and then measure that off the pic and then hold it against the bolts sideways it's probably about 3 times longer or 9/8" (inch and an eighth), all at a guess.

You're only going through 3/8" of header flange before you reach threaded hole for bite.

Sixlitre

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Short of pulling one out for you Andy

I'd have to guess at about 1" or maybe ever so slightly more (not as much as 1 1/4" that's for sure.

If you think that the threaded shaft is 3/8" and then measure that off the pic and then hold it against the bolts sideways it's probably about 3 times longer or 9/8" (inch and an eighth), all at a guess.

You're only going through 3/8" of header flange before you reach threaded hole for bite.

Sixlitre
1" 1/8th ,.... gotcha!,... once again six, you have saved the day!!:thumbup i'm real glad theres helpful dudes still around like you!!! :beer:drinkbudthanks a ton!,.:rockon... i'm off to a hardware supplier tomorrow,... the dealership wants £8.86 each!!!:shocked per bolt!!!!:twak

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
1" 1/8th ,.... gotcha!,... once again six, you have saved the day!!:thumbup i'm real glad theres helpful dudes still around like you!!! :beer:drinkbudthanks a ton!,.:rockon... i'm off to a hardware supplier tomorrow,... the dealership wants £8.86 each!!!:shocked per bolt!!!!:twak
Happy to help out Andy

Almost 9 pounds each :shocked That's $20.00 each :shocked

That's why they're called stealerships I guess

Good luck, I'm sure 1" will do just fine

Sixlitre

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey six,.... i got myself some allen key/torx style bolts for it:thumbup,.... only the old bolt heads are chewed and i can't get em' out,:banghead:doh0715::cry....... any funky tools out there i could use to get em' gone?:beer:drinkbud:rockon

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
hey six,.... i got myself some allen key/torx style bolts for it:thumbup,.... only the old bolt heads are chewed and i can't get em' out,:banghead:doh0715::cry....... any funky tools out there i could use to get em' gone?:beer:drinkbud:rockon
I trust you're using six points

and not 12 point sockets and wrenches ?

It gets dirty from here. What size is the hex head ? 3/8" ?

Sixlitre

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I trust you're using six points

and not 12 point sockets and wrenches ?

It gets dirty from here. What size is the hex head ? 3/8" ?

Sixlitre
i think 3/8,.... 10mm is a little too big on em',... the first too bolts are beyond help,..... plannig on welding a nut on the bolt and then use that to turn it!! its big heap o pain right now!,... plus the shaft between the clutch and the slave cylinder in my g/box is runnin' wobbly and tapping for some reason,... this also seems to be causing my rear crank oil seal to seep!!:banghead:beer:drinkbud:thumbup i know not what is causing said wobble either!!!!:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
i think 3/8,.... 10mm is a little too big on em',... the first too bolts are beyond help,..... plannig on welding a nut on the bolt and then use that to turn it!! its big heap o pain right now!,... plus the shaft between the clutch and the slave cylinder in my g/box is runnin' wobbly and tapping for some reason,... this also seems to be causing my rear crank oil seal to seep!!:banghead:beer:drinkbud:thumbup i know not what is causing said wobble either!!!!:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag
If you already know about welding a larger nut onto your header bolt, you don't need my help Andy;).

I would caution you that you should imagine those fancy new alan/torx socket screws in 5 years. I'd stick with conventional hex IIWY.

Just lather them in high heat anti-seize

Best of luck

Sixlitre

heat, rap and tighten ever so slightly before you try to turn them out.

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you already know about welding a larger nut onto your header bolt, you don't need my help Andy;).

I would caution you that you should imagine those fancy new alan/torx socket screws in 5 years. I'd stick with conventional hex IIWY.

Just lather them in high heat anti-seize

Best of luck

Sixlitre

heat, rap and tighten ever so slightly before you try to turn them out.
ah crap!! i wish i read this before i bought those allen bolts and fitted em'!:cry:banghead...... they are quite meaty though:beer:drinkbud

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
ah crap!! i wish i read this before i bought those allen bolts and fitted em'!:cry:banghead...... they are quite meaty though:beer:drinkbud
Here's hoping Andy

I mentioned it because back in the 70s I went out and equipped my Austin with as many of them as I could, trying to make the 1275 look more modern and space age.

Then I had the inevitable beater breakdown, in Algonquin Park of all places ! Me and my brother were cursing those GD alan bolts as we had just our small tools kits in each of our Minis and a very limited arsenal of alan keys and tools.

It turned a relatively routine job into a painstaking screw around with the alan head bolts.

Not long after I got home the alan bolts were replaced and I went back to conventional British fine thread, lathered in grease (as anti-seize was not well known back then).

I cannot imagine getting my aged hands into the crevices and tight spots that Austin had now.

I'm more or less subscribed to the KISS principle now

Sixlitre

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's hoping Andy

I mentioned it because back in the 70s I went out and equipped my Austin with as many of them as I could, trying to make the 1275 look more modern and space age.

Then I had the inevitable beater breakdown, in Algonquin Park of all places ! Me and my brother were cursing those GD alan bolts as we had just our small tools kits in each of our Minis and a very limited arsenal of alan keys and tools.

It turned a relatively routine job into a painstaking screw around with the alan head bolts.

Not long after I got home the alan bolts were replaced and I went back to conventional British fine thread, lathered in grease (as anti-seize was not well known back then).

I cannot imagine getting my aged hands into the crevices and tight spots that Austin had now.

I'm more or less subscribed to the KISS principle now

Sixlitre
i can't even fit in a mini! at 6' 1" i'm a little big for em':toothless i was also cursing the lousy positioning of the thermostat housing bolts!!! oh they were a pita!:banghead:beer:drinkbud

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:rockonKeep It Simple Stupid,.... i never thought you would quote the british army saying of the century!:thumbup:toothless:histerica:beer:drinkbud

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
i can't even fit in a mini! at 6' 1" i'm a little big for em':toothless i was also cursing the lousy positioning of the thermostat housing bolts!!! oh they were a pita!:banghead:beer:drinkbud
The only thing that allowed me to drive minis was the fact I'm all fuselage and no legs. I was only 6'-2" and 225lbs when I was 20. I didn't grow the extra 2 1/2" until I was 26.

With a 32" inseam I had the leg length of a man 5'-10" . True my head was on the roof liner, but my leg room was fine. with 40" arms I could reach out the window and touch the ground:toothless

I just loved the way you could kill larger cars with those little demons and still fill the tank for less than $5.00 !

That 1275 was punched out almost 160 thou, leaving me oversquare and at 1400 cc's instead of 1275.

That's when I learned to port cylinder heads.

Sixlitre

p.s./
The Mini's T-stat housing was a walk in the park compared to a Bronco's IMO. The part I hated was that heater sized hose between the water pump and the cylinder head. What a PITA ! In Summer I'd stuff a ball bearing down there and put in a blanking sleeve just to keep it from boiling itself to death.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts