Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im doing the D-60 thing(79 Bronco)....My question....What are you all doing for steering???

I was thinking that I can take the steering "arm" off the driver side & swap it with the pass side to do the steering...Is this doable????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
78bronco460 said:
If you're gonna keep the track bar and coils, you need to keep the steering as close to stock as you can:
What did you use for tie rods???

Also wheres your trac bar??
 

·
scrounger extrordinaire
Joined
·
4,775 Posts
you know... i heard once that the ford tie rod ends on the D44 are the same size as the D60s but maybe its just the taper? or ford made just one size rod end? either way i need to measure it again but what i am getting at is if the rod ends are the same and if i am not over extending the sleeve dealy that adjusts the rod ends, i may be using the D44 stock stuff on the D60 when i first put it in. after that i will be putting a DOM drag link on the double arms i have and running the tie rod above & behind the axle and the ram off the knuckle
 

·
scrounger extrordinaire
Joined
·
4,775 Posts
78bronco460 said:
I lengthened and flipped the OEM tie rods.
so you used the D44 stuff on the D60? did you sleeve the tie rod? thats what it looks like, im just curious.
 

·
press ALT+F4
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
axaviere said:
so you used the D44 stuff on the D60? did you sleeve the tie rod? thats what it looks like, im just curious.
I did, and I did.
The tie rod was too short, you see. What you can't see is that I cut it, slid on a correct-fitting piece of DOM 8" long, cut a 2" piece off an expired tie rod and welded it in to lengthen the rod. Then I slid the DOM over the lengthened section and welded that. I did the same thing to the drag link.
FYI... This is a 96 Dodge D60 with Ford spindles and hubs, CAD is permanently locked. Yeah it's weird, but for $300 so what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I have a set of weld on coil mounts off of an eariler axle would it be possible to use those with the radius arms. Im having issues with how to go about doing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok back to my question....Would this work??

Dont laugh..This is my 1st atempt working with MS Paint...




& yes thats a Chevy axel ...NOT MINE...Just an example
 

·
Well Done Man!
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
78bronco460 said:
I did, and I did.
The tie rod was too short, you see. What you can't see is that I cut it, slid on a correct-fitting piece of DOM 8" long, cut a 2" piece off an expired tie rod and welded it in to lengthen the rod. Then I slid the DOM over the lengthened section and welded that. I did the same thing to the drag link.
FYI... This is a 96 Dodge D60 with Ford spindles and hubs, CAD is permanently locked. Yeah it's weird, but for $300 so what?
HA!, I have one of those in my garage right now.
I Re tubed it to remove that lame CAD.
 

·
scrounger extrordinaire
Joined
·
4,775 Posts
what the heck is a CAD? and no, you cant just move that arm. you would need some custom steering arms. but you are best off using the knuckles or trying to make something to tie the drag link to the tie rod or using chevy 1 ton stuff and dom off the stock D60 knuckles. if you get the custom arms, you can go crossover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Center Axle Disconnect, the modern replacement for lockout hubs. I'll take hubs any day, considerably cheaper and easier to maintain and easier on the axle internals ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
axaviere said:
what the heck is a CAD? and no, you cant just move that arm. you would need some custom steering arms. but you are best off using the knuckles or trying to make something to tie the drag link to the tie rod or using chevy 1 ton stuff and dom off the stock D60 knuckles. if you get the custom arms, you can go crossover.
Heres a better pic....I guess Im talking about the Kingpin Covers....On my D-60 I have this steering arm that is part of the cover...If I can just switch sides I can do the steering cheaply...Otherwise I will have to cut the arm off anyways to fit the coils on...


 

·
press ALT+F4
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
welndmn said:
HA!, I have one of those in my garage right now.
I Re tubed it to remove that lame CAD.
Right on! I trussed the whole housing with 2"x.250 square tube so that CAD chunk don't go boom. Re-tube would be better, but now I have a couple other options sitting in my garage :)
 

·
Well Done Man!
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Yeah, had to buy a 3 foot section of 1/2 wall DOM, it was $$$$$$$$ then luckly the bearing store found me a seal to fit it.

Any way, that Steering arm on your axle is for the Factory Push Pull steering, its crap, even when it was brand new, it was crap.
You can cut the arm off of the cover, or just buy another cover from parts mike
http://www.partsmikeparts.com/60Front.htm (called 4 bolt spring cap)

If you would like your steering up there, you need high steer arms, they bolt to those 4 studs up there.
Parts mikes sell those too, along with a lot of other vendors, I would get them from Mike or WFO or Blue torch Fab.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top