Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new here and must say, this site has been a wealth of knowledge so far.

I just bought a 86 FSB Eddie Bauer from a guy I work with.
He is deploying and does not want it to sit around for the next year.

Here is a little background on the vehicle.

Jan 04 he had a new crate 302 put in it, had the tranny rebuilt, AC compressor replaced, lines replaced, and converted to R134. He also had front and rear brake components completely replaced.

He also had All new wires, belts and hoses installed,

July of 05 he put 5 new BFgoodrich AT's on with new wheels,

The body is in excellent shape with only one rust spot on the rear gate.

I just had a new Y pipe installed and a high flow cat, this meets nicely with the magnaflow muffler he put on about a year ago.


The engine has about 10,000 miles on it.

He also gave me all the receipts with the vehicle, dating back almost 10 yrs.

I paid 1500.00 for it and feel I got a good deal.

I also picked up the 1986 Ford Shop Manual for Body, Chasis and electrical, the Manual for Pre delivery, lubrication and Maintenance as well as the Shop Manual for the engine, off of Craigslist for 40.00

With all of that being said, I am looking forward t having alot of fun with the Bronco.

I am looking for some advice on what to do next for performance improvement, any tricks, cool mods and any advice.

I can not give you much info rigt now on the tranny/axle/gearing as I have only owned it now for a week, (he is still driving it until e deploys)

Thank you in advance for any info you may have

Chem
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Hello all,

I am new here and must say, this site has been a wealth of knowledge so far.

I just bought a 86 FSB Eddie Bauer from a guy I work with.
He is deploying and does not want it to sit around for the next year.

Here is a little background on the vehicle.

Jan 04 he had a new crate 302 put in it, had the tranny rebuilt, AC compressor replaced, lines replaced, and converted to R134. He also had front and rear brake components completely replaced.

He also had All new wires, belts and hoses installed,

July of 05 he put 5 new BFgoodrich AT's on with new wheels,

The body is in excellent shape with only one rust spot on the rear gate.

I just had a new Y pipe installed and a high flow cat, this meets nicely with the magnaflow muffler he put on about a year ago.


The engine has about 10,000 miles on it.

He also gave me all the receipts with the vehicle, dating back almost 10 yrs.

I paid 1500.00 for it and feel I got a good deal.

I also picked up the 1986 Ford Shop Manual for Body, Chasis and electrical, the Manual for Pre delivery, lubrication and Maintenance as well as the Shop Manual for the engine, off of Craigslist for 40.00

With all of that being said, I am looking forward t having alot of fun with the Bronco.

I am looking for some advice on what to do next for performance improvement, any tricks, cool mods and any advice.

I can not give you much info rigt now on the tranny/axle/gearing as I have only owned it now for a week, (he is still driving it until e deploys)

Thank you in advance for any info you may have

Chem

GOT A GOOD DEAL ON IT !

Chem

you'd better turn yourself into the police and asked to be charged with theft ! You stole that truck for $1500.00 ! AND you got a smokin' deal on the FSM off Craigs list.

If you're looking to do things to the Bronco, check out my Supermotors page for my 1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17326#content

Congratulations

Sixlitre

p.s./
My highest recommendations to do first are; remote transmission filter and massive cooler and then ignition tweaks followed by exhaust work.
 

·
Dead Horse
Joined
·
5,935 Posts
sweet deal, welcome to FSB, you will enjoy it here

any pics?
 

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
Joined
·
6,970 Posts
Sweet DEAL! First find out what tranny you got. Pretty easy on this year as you only have two choices for automatics and one for stick. A display of PRN(D)D1 is the AOD, and a display of PRND21 is the super tough but lacking an overdrive C6.

Adrianspeeder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sixlitre/JB,

thank you,

I will get some pics tomorrow at work,

It's the blue Eddie Bauer with the Tan trim,

I went to the link you provided sixlitre, Nice, lots of good info there,,,
especially on the remote tranny filter, nice set up,

just a quick question for you all, I can not find a K&N FIPK for the bronco, only a replacement filter,,,

Does anyone make a aftermarket kit, or is it a homegrown mod?

Also, I had already planned on a tranny cooler, best money you can spend in my opinion,,,, (had to replace the tranny on my 03 Tahoe this summer, Ouch)

Thanks for the compliments and advice, i am sure I will be back for more,,,,

Chem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
adrianspeeder,

I am not sure of the tranny, yet,

it is a auto, and the thing has no top end on the speed side,,, so hopefully a C6.

Chem
 

·
green ones make me horny
Joined
·
11,155 Posts
Cool deal man 86s rock. i am going to get one eventually
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Chemfrk said:
sixlitre/JB,

thank you,

I will get some pics tomorrow at work,

It's the blue Eddie Bauer with the Tan trim,

I went to the link you provided sixlitre, Nice, lots of good info there,,,
especially on the remote tranny filter, nice set up,

just a quick question for you all, I can not find a K&N FIPK for the bronco, only a replacement filter,,,
speedo
Does anyone make a aftermarket kit, or is it a homegrown mod?

Also, I had already planned on a tranny cooler, best money you can spend in my opinion,,,, (had to replace the tranny on my 03 Tahoe this summer, Ouch)

Thanks for the compliments and advice, i am sure I will be back for more,,,,

Chem

The 85-86s are SOL for the cold air kit, but the drop-in K&N filter is definately worth the money in my experience.

I run the B&M Super cooler it's a stacked plate design similar in every way to the Ford unit, just three times taller. Get the 1 1/2" thick unit and forget the 3/4" thick units.

The remote filter kit is $27 and worth every penny IMO. Check out your column shift pattern, like Adrian says and you'll know which trans you have.

Pray it's the AOD and you can be rolling down the hwy at 80 mph and only taching up around 2000 rpm like mine;



BTW mine has no trouble accelerating hard from 80 mph and pegging that speedo needle right up against the trip meter reset knob.

Ignition and exhaust !

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Thats it? You just look at the display and poof its AOD or C6!!!??? I've been searching the threads for info on the tranny. Can't find a number on it. I also have an 86 Eddie. Mines a piece of crap in the works. Everythings failed on it that can fail, but its my baby and I'm slowly working the crap away.
$1500 is an awesome price for a truck with that many new parts. I paid $800 and mine came with flat tires, a worn out 302, no interior and leaking seals on the axles. You did good. Welcome. Search. Enjoy.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
bluesquirrel said:
Thats it? You just look at the display and poof its AOD or C6!!!??? I've been searching the threads for info on the tranny. Can't find a number on it. .
Lessin' somebody done swapped her out on you and put in the more reliable, but deadly costly on gas C-6.

Have a look at the trans pan in the pic of my 86 Eddie and see if yours looks the same (without the owner added pan drain bolt);



and welcome to the club on replacing absolutely everything on your Bronco. Been there paid for that !

Sixlitre
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
13,695 Posts
You have now entered the Broncozone. It is a deadly addiction that will cost you thousands of dollars.

I love my bronco. It's my baby!

Congrats on yours!
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
You have now entered the Broncozone. It is a deadly addiction that will cost you thousands of dollars.

I love my bronco. It's my baby!

Congrats on yours!
Yes but it might divert funds away from ruining his liver so it can't be that bad !

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Sixlitre said:
Holy smokes Six, You can get your bronc up to 130.......wow..I had mine up to a little over a 100 and i got scary:shocked














Just kidding I know you nadians measure in kph...hehe

And chem you luck son-of-a-gun thats a steal in my opinion. Count your blessings on that deal. And youll love this site. Were all a bunch of toothless:toothless redneck bronco owners. Nah just kidding were a diverse world of bronco maniacs who just waste gas and hog all the space on the highways with our oversize rigs.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Mogley said:
Holy smokes Six, You can get your bronc up to 130.......wow..I had mine up to a little over a 100 and i got scary:shocked

Just kidding I know you nadians measure in kph...hehe

And chem you luck son-of-a-gun thats a steal in my opinion. Count your blessings on that deal. And youll love this site. Were all a bunch of toothless:toothless redneck bronco owners. Nah just kidding were a diverse world of bronco maniacs who just waste gas and hog all the space on the highways with our oversize rigs.

Mogley

Us older Canajians stil think in Imperial (not Metric)

I grew up with it and I don't need a calculator to add up my groceries or figure out my mileage in my head.

I only understand and can visualize how many miles I can go on a gallon, not how many litres it takes me to go 100 kilometers.

F#@&in' French Prime Ministers !!!!!!!

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All,

Thanks again for the compliments,

OK,

I believe it is the OD tranny, the display has PRNDd1

Still trying to figure out the gears,,,,

I am very happy so far, the thing runs great and has alot of get up and go...

We were just in the parking lot,,, checking out the 4WD,,, man that thing will crawl

I am definately looking forward to tinkering with it and having fun with the wife and kids...

Chem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sixlitre,

I am going to replace the O2 sensors,

all i can find are the 2 on the exhaust manifolds,

There is a brand new cat on there,but no sensor after the cat

It appears the wires on the driver side sensor are gone from the sensor up,,,

any suggestions, input or guidance froma anyone else on the sensors,,,??

Hope this works out,,,

Will thre be any noticable improvement in performance?

Thanks again in advance...

Chem
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Sixlitre,

I am going to replace the O2 sensors,

all i can find are the 2 on the exhaust manifolds,

There is a brand new cat on there,but no sensor after the cat

It appears the wires on the driver side sensor are gone from the sensor up,,,

any suggestions, input or guidance froma anyone else on the sensors,,,??

Hope this works out,,,

Will thre be any noticable improvement in performance?

Thanks again in advance...

Chem

Chem

be careful on the 02 sensor removal. They are notorious for busting off in the manifold or breaking the casting.

People bust em' so often the junkyards are scoured clean of em'. there are plenty of aftermarket castings being produced here and off shore just waiting to take your money.

It was for that very reason and the possible downtime that I bought the Summit shorty headers and stuck em' on. They'll fit right onto your stock Y-pipe.

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=18404#content

There should only be one 02 and it's on the passenger's manifold, none on the drivers or anywhere else on the 85-86s.

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sixlitre,

just out of curiosity,

the "sensor" on the exhaust,,, is there any reason, that there would be a sensor in the manifold, not hooked up, being used as a plug?

The reason I am asking is, I have read that on some broncos, there were 2, even 3 sensors....

It appears that the wires have been cut, no wires are anywhere in the area and there is nothing mentioned on the wiring diagram,, leading me to believe that their may be different heads on there, and a old sensor in the hole as a plug.

I read your post today, on the 02 sensor,,,

Do you really thing it is worth changing out,,,

the thing idles a little rough on initial start up, but after that, it is fine...

just a little cold blooded,

I will be going over the thing thoroughly this weekend, changing the fluids in the differentials, transfer case and doing the plugs and switching over to royal purple for all lubricants.....(personal prefference)

I am not worried about the plug wires, etc, as they were new with the motor...

Chem
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top