Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 85 bronco in running condition with very little rust and a small starter problem for 100 bucks:chili::chili:. He says that it is burning up starters it will start and then when he gets some where he can't get it to start again. Anyone got any ideas on the starter problem let me know I would appreciate it.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
hey man, check the wiring, and then if thats not it, try the electrical system on the inside of the starter
Its obviously a wiring issue, and looking inside one of several starters that it burned up wont tell him anything.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,684 Posts
check resistance on the battery cables. You may not be burning up starters, you may just have a craptastic positive battery cable. Did he take any of the starters in to get tested, or did he just assume it to be the starter?

When i first bought the 93, i would drive it, it would get warm, i would go into a store real quick and come out to a dead truck. The battery cable to the starter was just in horrible condition. Replaced it and it was fine.

just a suggestion

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
check resistance on the battery cables. You may not be burning up starters, you may just have a craptastic positive battery cable. Did he take any of the starters in to get tested, or did he just assume it to be the starter?

When i first bought the 93, i would drive it, it would get warm, i would go into a store real quick and come out to a dead truck. The battery cable to the starter was just in horrible condition. Replaced it and it was fine.

just a suggestion

Same thing on my 86.

Check and replace all batt and ground cables with a big gauge cable (2 or 0 ga.) Thats more than enough for a factory system

·
Registered
447 Posts
Had the same problem with an old car. I would drive it awhile and stop to buy gas and it did not want to start. Replaced battery cable with a heavier one and it started just fine. Battery cables are cheap vs starters.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You would be amazed at how many people just never consider that the battery cable can go bad....I have customers all the time that say, how can a cable go bad??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts