Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just bought my first 79 bronco a couple weeks ago it has a 460 in it, and i had some questions, i want to put a 6inch lift on and some 36's but not two sure of wat tires...ive been lookin at the swamper all terrains cuz it is going to be the daily pavement punder but i want to be able to go play in mud and sand two, does anybody have a say on those??? and i think im gonna go wit a skyjacker 6 inch lift. and does anyone know where to get single piece glass for the top, mines got the old man sliders and wing windows. also i was wondering if anyone know bout the spare tire racks, can they support a full size spare? thats only some of the things i can think of but any other info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "full size tire"? I wouldn't go over 31 inch on that factory swing away tire carrier.

I am lusting after a Protofab Rear bumper as seen in Bronco Driver magazine.
I'm getting one.

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
First off I want to say welcome! I think you will like it here, there is a lot of knowledge to be found here, if you look and listen , try not to post up the same question in different threads at the same time, at least not on the same forum, people get a little testy over that?, post up some pictures of the new beast we would like to see it and it helps us to know what we are talking about, as far as tires go I think if you go over a 35" tire you should re gear? Y'all correct me if I'm wrong, and remember what you will be using the truck for mainly before you mod it, a very aggressive tire will effect gas mileage, ride comfort, and make a lot of road noise, don't be afraid to ask a question! if its stupid we'll tell ya, but more and likely still answer it? tell us a little about yourself and who you are? , how old you are? are you a Chick? I only say this because it helps us when we know a little bit more about the person we are trying to help, with that said my name is Rick (Phat Bastard + B,O,T,B) glad to meet ya and glad ya came to join us , Oh Yea CONGRADULATIONS ON BUYING THE BEST DAMN TRUCK EVER MADE!!!

Hey send me a picture of you're windows you are talking about, I might be interested in trading you mine, my windows have an eagle etched into them, I'll send you pic's if you want, also where are you at? we have to see what shipping would be? to see if it would be worth it? you can see where I am at over in my sig...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry guys new to the whole forum deal two

firstoff ya i am a chick. but i love cars they are my life. like literally i work at a body shop in the asshole of california other wise know as madera, i love welding and bondo and painting, not to mention good old turning wrenches two. i went to wyotech up in sacramento and it was kool, . so like i sayd i just bought my bronco and i love it its my dream truck besides my ranchero.., ok so thanks for the info bout the tire rack. i didnt think it could cuz its got a 3 1 back there right now, and for tires thats why i was lookin at the swamper alll terrains cuz my boss has a 78 on 36's but there the big nobby TSLs and ya they make a lot of noise. and he can afford to replace all the time, me on the other hand cant so i figure a good set of all terrains would be good. thanks for the help i greatly appreciate it and any thing else you wanna know feel free to ask. heres pics of my new baby... its just got done raining here so i found a puddle or two

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nice lookin bronco...I just boguht my first a little more than 2 months ago, and what a journey it's been. Can't wait to see the progress of the process.

As for tires, I've always found a pretty good deal from 4wheelparts.com. I think these are the tires you're talking about...and, yeah, they'll jam in the sand...haven't seen too many in the mud though.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT65068.aspx
That's for a radial, but they also come in bias.

You might also look at something like the MTX from Mickey Thompson, which is a pretty good offroad tire for normal highway use...and they cost just about the same the interco's do. There's also the pro comp line of tires, graet great product, but a little expensive, and they might not make them in the right sizes for you. Anyway, good luck...and check that sight out, it's great.

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Clean!?? Rust free looking that is, I am glad ya did'nt mind me asking if you were a Chick, it said Herbigblock so I had to ask to make sure??:duh CHICKS That Digs Bronco's RULE!!! :rockon:wowcb::hump:kiss Sorry had to do that too? Glad to have you on board, Good luck with it , Keep us informed?.....Rick

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya it is really clean, i had looked at many but all had the typical rot spots. i found this for cheap and it was well taken care of, the 460 was rebuilt at 100,000 miles and the body is straight as hell, even the carpets good inside. ya those are the tires ive been lookin at. and i plan on spending more time in sand than anything, i just could help staying away from the mud since it was there, thanks i have to look into thoe mickeys. and i have a few question bout the lift i want, i know that i need the coils, shock, blocks, pitman arm, radius arm brackets, and brake lines two right?? how bout steering stabilizers, and anything else i might be missing cuz i cant really seem to find an actual complete lift kit???

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What size tires are you shooting for?

That kit doesn't mention brake hoses or drop pitman arm that you are gonna need for 6 inch lift.

That is not a lot of money for a lift kit. You can easily spend twice that for Cage with all new rear leafs (& no blocks).

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Well I'm going to throw this out there and hope not to offend, or sound like some kind of Perv? but ya peeked my interest, so me being me I have to ask ya " What ja looke like dare kitten:toothless :smilie_slap" don't worry I'm not hittin on ya! I'm a 41yr Old Man! with a wife + kids, but I gotta say I find it interesting when girls like the same kind of stuff that us Dude do, especially these here 78-79 Bronco's, mud, horsepower, welding and just plain gittin dirty!!!!!!;) so don't take offence, but I'm still a Man and I have to ask???

·
Registered
904 Posts
internet staulking aside...

If you are going to be using this thing in a daily basis and want a tire that will perform well on the street and last a decent while, stay away from ANYTHING in the interco lineup. Even the radials they produce are comparatively soft to most other tires and, though they are terrific offroad, wear very quickly. I have a set of 36x12.5x15 super swamper radials, and they have already worn about halfway after 4-6K miles.

On the other hand, I have a set of maxxis bighorns in the same size that still look new after similar mileage, and they also perform ten times better on the road than the super swampers. Anythign made by interco will actively seek out imperfections in the road (read: ruts) and follow the damn things like bloodhounds on a scent trail. At 45mph its damn scary when all of a sudden your truck pulls like its on rails and you have to correct it.

I would advise that you look for something a bit more street oriented, pro-comp, BFG, Maxxis, and others all make good radial tires up to the 35" mark that will suit your needs very well.

If you really need to rip it up offroad, then buy a cheap set of street tires and a set of tires for use on trails only.

And correct me if im wrong, but i think you will be fine with a 4" lift on the 78-79 model years to clear a tire in the 35" range.

If you are like me and like free stuff and a low COG, just hack your fenders a bit.

As far as spare tires go, reports vary. Some people run them succesfully with a 35" spare, others report damage with only a 33", so its a bit of a tossup there.

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
4" lift on a 78-79 will be more than adequate for 35's.

thats a good lookin bronco you got there! Gotta love west coast, rust free trucks. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i apprecaite the help, but wat i really wanted was a 6 inch on 36's i want my bronco to make my boss finally fix his. and now im really stuck on which tires to get, is there any tires that dont cost a fortune and are gonna last which do good on street, sand and mud??? i know thats kinda askin alot but youd think thered be something made by now, and thanks i didnt notice the pitman arm wasnt included but i found one on summit racing for 70 bucks and about 150 bucks for brake lines two so thats not two much more. and then another 40 for another set of shock cuz i just noticed today that it has dual front shocks.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Dic k Cepek Fun Country II's are an all around good tire. They are more of an all terrain tire but they are what I think a great price. They wear very nicely as well. They are only available in a 35" or 37" size tho. 37's would fit with a 6" lift, 35's with a 4" lift.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Prolly need rims to go with that. P.S. I love Jade Broncos.

You do understand the can of worms you are opening here? Right?

Cuz your gears & brakes are gonna suck with 36-37 inch tires. We want you to build the truck to suit yourself but just go in with your eyes open. Mucho Gusto.

I concur with Ranger - 4 inch & 35's is a good place to start. I too want as low COG as possible.

Cage make the Bentley of lifts.

·
Banned
495 Posts
soon as you get that lift on or even now, get a bikini on and go pose in front of that bronco and take a picture.. would be nice to see a sexy lady half nakked infront of a 78 bronco. mine green like that too!!

Ray

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok so ive been lookin at all these tire reviews and i found some ones that have like all around good rating for sand street and mud, but i want to know if anyone here has tried any of them, theres http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Yokohama_Geolandar.htm
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/parnelli-jones-dirt-grip.htm
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Green-Diamond-Icelander-MT.htm i cant really find prices in the last two tho, but im just curoius as to wat you guys think

·
Banned
495 Posts
ok so ive been lookin at all these tire reviews and i found some ones that have like all around good rating for sand street and mud, but i want to know if anyone here has tried any of them, theres http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Yokohama_Geolandar.htm
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/parnelli-jones-dirt-grip.htm
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Green-Diamond-Icelander-MT.htm i cant really find prices in the last two tho, but im just curoius as to wat you guys think
they are all junk, get yourself some BFG All-terrain KO's they are the best!

ray

1 - 20 of 127 Posts