Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, new tranny, new upper and lower intake gaskets, new exhaust manifold gaskets, new upper and lower ball joints on the right side, new radius arm bracket and bushings right side. complete tune up, timing was re-done, even brand new cooper tires, we only had the gas tank to replace, and the truck should be runnin like a champ. nope, today, tranny starts slippin, smellin burning fluid, and then, the column starts smokin. after a quick check, i think its safe to get it to town, so i keep goin, higher the rpm, the more smoke, so i tackle this hill, half way up, and the town is on the other side, smoke starts pouring out from under the hood, thick white smoke out of everywhere on the hood. after a quick look over, there was no fluid in the oil pan, there was oil all over the firewall, i looked under it, cat is smokin, covered in oil, the bell housing was covered in oil, the tranny pan was covered, even the skid plate had a pool of oil. saw a chunk of gasket hangin out of the pan, and, theres oil comin out of the head where it meets the block. weve put 1700 into this truck in the past two weeks only to almost smoke the motor. the question is, sell it, go with it since ive come this far, slap a bandaid on it and sell it to some sucker, or last resort junk it. at this point i dont know what to do anymore, just need some suggestions, thanks.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Wow, that sucks. So you lost oil and tranny fluid? How did that happen? Who did the work?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was the only gaskets that we didnt replace, me and my brother did the work, but, i guess his theroy is that the breather was too small and since i have a lot of blowby it just busted out the pan gasket which was dryed out and crappy anyway. and no tranny fluid was lost, all fluid i found was engine oil

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
ok, new tranny, new upper and lower intake gaskets, new exhaust manifold gaskets, new upper and lower ball joints on the right side, new radius arm bracket and bushings right side. complete tune up, timing was re-done, even brand new cooper tires, we only had the gas tank to replace, and the truck should be runnin like a champ. nope, today, tranny starts slippin, smellin burning fluid, and then, the column starts smokin. after a quick check, i think its safe to get it to town, so i keep goin, higher the rpm, the more smoke, so i tackle this hill, half way up, and the town is on the other side, smoke starts pouring out from under the hood, thick white smoke out of everywhere on the hood. after a quick look over, there was no fluid in the oil pan, there was oil all over the firewall, i looked under it, cat is smokin, covered in oil, the bell housing was covered in oil, the tranny pan was covered, even the skid plate had a pool of oil. saw a chunk of gasket hangin out of the pan, and, theres oil comin out of the head where it meets the block. weve put 1700 into this truck in the past two weeks only to almost smoke the motor. the question is, sell it, go with it since ive come this far, slap a bandaid on it and sell it to some sucker, or last resort junk it. at this point i dont know what to do anymore, just need some suggestions, thanks.
Geezely Pat

that's discouraging alright. So, to get this right; your engine oil blew out all over the back of the engine to the point where the oil dipstick read NADA ?

If that is correct I'd say your PCV valve may be the culprit. If it isn't allowing crankcase fumes to escape then the fumes "WILL FIND THEIR OWN WAY OUT".

Often times they blow gaskets, but with your new gaskets, in extreme cases of blowby the crankcase pressure will blow new, thick oil out wherever it can; dipstick tube, back of the intake, valve covers, etc, etc.

AT this point I'd ask you how your transmission is, as I did in your last post;

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113043

If the trans is still healthy then I'd buy some vicious crankcase cleaner, like this stuff I use;

and drop it in the oil minutes before you drain it out. DO NOT drive the truck with this $h!t in it or you can wipe the babbit right off the bearings.

This will clean out some of the sludge that is filling up the oil breather filter in your airbox (right?). Run some new oil and a filter, along with a genuine Ford PCV valve;

and if that doesn't do it, repeat the process two more times (ideally a week apart). It will cure all but the most severe blowby, in my experience.

What's the mileage on your engine ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the input sixlitre, the pcv valve was cleaned throuly before being put back on (if im thinking of the same thing, its on the back of the intake manifold plenum), however the egr valve is unpluged and maulfunctioning, could that do it? as of now im not sure of the trannys condition, many of the issues i was having could just be engine related. whatever we do to save the engine, first thing to be fixed for sure is the oil pan gasket, my brother is looking at it this week, i will post the outcome of the check up.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
thanks for all the input sixlitre, the pcv valve was cleaned throuly before being put back on (if im thinking of the same thing, its on the back of the intake manifold plenum), however the egr valve is unpluged and maulfunctioning, could that do it? as of now im not sure of the trannys condition, many of the issues i was having could just be engine related. whatever we do to save the engine, first thing to be fixed for sure is the oil pan gasket, my brother is looking at it this week, i will post the outcome of the check up.
why the hell would your try and clean a 4 dollar part? That is probably the problem right there. Change the oil pan gasket and everything else. put oil in it, check compression and oil pressure and give it hell.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I don't know if the EGR would do such a thing. Try what I suggested to clean out the sludge before you slap on a new pan gasket. Warm up the engine with the oil breather open and un pluggged, same with the PCV valve, pull it out.

Underneath the PCV valve there's a grommet;

underneath that there's a strainer made of packed steel wool;

that's a clean one, here's a dirty one;

If it's plugged your PCV ain't gonna get the chance to let out all that blowby.

BTW gotta go with imlikeojnow and suggest you go to the stealership, grab your ankles and pay the full $6.00 for another one.

I had an uber high compression small block Mopar years ago, with a purposely loose ring clearance for the high rpms it turned.

That engine had no PCV, just two full inch wide tubes on the valve covers. For your warm up keep the PCV and oil breather tubes unplugged.

Sixlitre

p.s./
If you don't get this PCV thing and blowby fixed, it'll just blow your pan gasket again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just to offer some encouragement: I once ran a ford fairmont with a 250 I6 for about 30 ,miles on 1 quart of oil. It overheated and just died (stupid things teenagers do). Anyway, changed the oil and ran that car for many, many more miles with no problems. If you clean like suggested, and fix the problems, you may get lucky.

Somewhere in the process before going to far, though, I think I'd fire it up and listen for noises and such. Sometimes you can crack a head or something else. No sense putting too much work into it until you know if the motor is gone.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, the wizard looked at it. and either the new lower intake manifold gasket is messed up and letting oil into the cylinder with the air, or its a head gasket, he couldnt tell so hes ripping it apart saturday. and if its not the intake gasket he wants to junk the motor because he said that on the limited budget we couldnt get the heads machined anyway and considering the amount of labor and snaped bolts, it wouldnt be worth it. and also, he said were too far into it to sell, so im in this no matter how long it takes. but the pcv valve is newer and clean, egr valve isnt it, so it has to be one of those two things, or i just smoked the motor in general, but its puffin smoke out the tail pipe, and one of the cylinders is knockin. and oh yea, the blow by is gone.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Good luck with it Pat

are you gonna buy a new longblock if need be ?

I had to get one in 99' and it's still going strong 9 years later, with @120,000 miles on it.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've never snapped any bolts doing heads...

Sorry about your Bronco, I'd say fix it. If it needs a new engine, you can always find them used from $100 to $500 in stock trim. Best of luck with it, interested in the outcome the 'wiz' comes up with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts