Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 bronco with a 351W EFI and a 3 speed automatic. It is currently at the garage having the vehicle checked for a possible blown head gasket. I am pretty sure that is the problem. In some posts, FSB members are saying replacing a head gasket is a pretty simple job. The mechanic is telling me that this is a VERY difficult job and could run around $2000 with a valve job. I am not very mechanically inclined so I dont know. Please enlighten me. I am a poor college student an am on a limited budget. I am living in Los Angeles so I know that prices will be more expensive than other places.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no intentions of attempting the job myself. I live in the middle of Hollywood and would be cited immediately by some sort of law enforcement for fixing it in the street. I am more or less wondering if this is standard operating procedure for a head gasket or if it sounds like i am behing screwed.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
danmick said:
both as far as i know. I will ask when he calls back
I dont think I would waste that mony on a valve job on an engine that has 200,000 miles on it's bottom end.

Just have him replace the gasket.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
Steve83 said:
For $2K, he ought to be installing a long block.
:stupid

A valve job would probably involve new valve seals, reangling the valves and checking the springs on each head.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gacknar said:
Why do you think it has a blown head gasket?

What are the simptoms?

coolant disappearing with no external leak found. Slight foam in oil. Rough idle that seems to smooth out after a bit. seems like there is a hesitation when i gun it. check engine light flickers on and off intermittently. He has not told me it is definitely a head gasket but that is his guess.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
danmick said:
wouldn't rebuilding the heads give me an engine that is like new??? Why wouldn't i do this???
Becouse the bottom end (crank bearings, cam bearings, rod bearings, rings, and cylinders) will still have 200,000 miles on it.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
i can get a new motor installed for 2K your mechaninc is full of shit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts