Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 40 of 125 Posts

· Registered
2,445 Posts
Is there any banging or thunking coming from the floor boards? Mine had no power up hill in 3rd there was a horrible banging under the floorboards. I could feel it! I ended up replacing the tranny.:cry

· Registered
42 Posts
well u definitely have a problem, i have stock 355 gears and 31s, and original wires, new plugs caps and rotor, with 163 k, 351 engine, and it takes a mighty big hill for mine to come out of overdrive, plenty of power, drove from the north east to iowa, fully loaded, running at 75 mph, and maybe downshifted once on a hill, with cruise on, i would check your timing also, maybe cat,

· Registered
462 Posts
Bri_Guy5 said:
if this was the case, it would happen whenever he went WOT. not just going up a hill.

no it wouldnt happen when ever he went WOT, if he went WOT for a few miles i bet my bronco it would do it, running wot for 15 seconds wont generate enough heat to do that, but climbing a 2 mile hill will make enough heat.

· Registered
53 Posts
Call summit racing and order a nitrous kit. install it. Go to the nearest large hill and push the button. You will find out what the problem is from the parts laying on the ground at the bottom of the hill.

No seriously check the cat and or the fuel supply.

· The Anti Yam!
22,706 Posts
XLTChris said:
I think I might to to Ford on friday and see if they will read my codes
Did you read the link I posted erlier?

Ford is going to charge you $50.00 + to do the exact same test that you can do for FREE. All you need is a pice of wire and the ability to count.
(Somthing tells me you have both :toothless )

Don't give Ford your hard earned money for something you can easily do yourself.

IIRC any good exhaust shop can do a pressure test to see if your cats are cloged.

You can also test for a cloged cat with a vaccume gauge.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/ergoff/vac2.htm
4rth down on the left.

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I didn't see the code link you sent. Sorry. Mind posting it again or sending me a PM?

I am thinking its a fuel thing. I had the timing done after I replaces a head gasket so I know the timing is good. The plugs all look clean, new cap and rotor, Just seems like it doesn't get the gas it needs on grades. Doesn't mater what gas either because I tried that before you needed a loan to get gas.

It's like the tranny isn't teling the computer to dump more gas.

· The Anti Yam!
22,706 Posts

· Premium Member
13,585 Posts
This is stange that we all have this problem going up hill. I recently replaced my fuel filter, FPR, IAT, nox, IAC, plugs, map and (wires, cap rotor last year) and they all look good. This weekend I will replace the EGR valve. My timing is set at 10 degrees 0 10 20 30 on the balancer. I recently noticed this problem going up hill, on level ground no problem and Bronco runs fine with a little power drop in 4th. Moderate hills no problem but the big hill going home is a good stretch and it just seems to run out of power unless you hit passing gear. On the street around 35mph if I step on the gas I get this thumping or banging sometimes? but the AOD tranny was rebuilt 2 years ago and I don't abuse the Bronco at all. I need to do a complete front brake job with rotors, calipers and brake lines but I can't believe they could be binding that much, there's no excessive heat on the hubs.
Cat, I've had the Bronco now for two years but I don't know how long the cat has been on there. I have only used Sea Foam once so far thru the brake booster line so I don't think that could be it. The only code I got was a 67 which is either a clutch thing in the AC or an open circut in the MAP? but I just replaced the Map last weekend?? Also the engine was rebuilt several years ago before I bought it but I have the paper work and I called them and it sounded like they did a good job, the only problem I had at first was a vacuum leak because they missed a check valve behind the FI housing near the firewall but since then it's been running pretty good.

What do you think?

Thanks

· Registered
637 Posts
waltman said:
I would consider replacing the wires to 9mm especially if you don't know when it was replaced, but I doubt that is your problem. I think your cat may be clogged. Try disconnecting the cat and see if the insides have gotten broken or something, plus recheck your timing with the spout connecter off and make sure it is set propperly.

Oh yeah, and how does your truck do on the dunes while in 4lo ?
:stupid

Definitely check your timing.

· Seeking Tanelorn
21,340 Posts
I'm running stock gears and 35" tires; I first noticed this same problem after I put the larger tires on, and just assumed that the different gear/tire-size ratio was the culprit. This thread has me thinking that maybe there's something else? Especially the comment about heat in the cat, because now that I think of it, I've noticed a definite surge of power when I accelerate out of my tract that isn't there after the truck warms up.

Just to be clear, y'all are saying that the Bronco shouldn't be doing this at all, even with the larger tires?

· Registered
266 Posts
Mine also loses all power when going up hills. Some time soon im goin to do the six liter ignition upgrade and ill do my timing then to see if that could be the culprit.

· Premium Member
13,585 Posts
I just put new Goodyear 31's but that's a stock tire for my year? I'm doing front brakes over the weekend and I'll check and see in my paperwork from PO if there's any mention regarding CAT, though the exhaust system looks decent so we'll see.
Any input certainly welcome!

Thanks

· Premium Member
13,585 Posts
I just checked the paperwork I have when I purchased the Bronco and it shows internal and external fuel pumps replaced 4 years ago. I made careful observation on the way home tonight and is it possible this problem is a fuel problem. I just replaced the FPR and Filter and the only things left to be repalced under the hood would be the TPS, EGR valve and Fuel pump, just because it comes on when I trigger the ignition doen't mean it's working 100 %. The thumping some of us have experienced I think is low torgue where it won't down shift because you have to slow down and if you don't hit passing gear it winds up in this flat zone.

Does anybody think this is fuel pump related because of the angle of the truck nose up and poor fuel travel?

Thanks!

· Lick my balls
12,958 Posts
Everybody stop! I am driving my third Bronco, and they all suck up hill. I have made some mods on my current Bronco and it still lacks the power I desire. If you want more power, go to a big block or lower gears, otherwise just live with it and learn to gear down when you reach that hill and the happy RPM power range our trucks like, begin to drop.

· Seeking Tanelorn
21,340 Posts
waltman said:
Everybody stop! I am driving my third Bronco, and they all suck up hill. I have made some mods on my current Bronco and it still lacks the power I desire. If you want more power, go to a big block or lower gears, otherwise just live with it and learn to gear down when you reach that hill and the happy RPM power range our trucks like, begin to drop.
Thank you; that's what I wanted to know.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.