Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its my first vehicle. i only drove it home, and it cruses at 50mph at a hair over 2500rpms lol

its a 1987 xlt with the 351(all the smog stuff is gone), runs like a top, 140,000 miles. its got power everything. AC works great. interior is in VERY good shape for its age. new speakers too, but the exterior is bad. its a 3 tone......blue, silver, and rust. looks like i'll be spending some time with the DA, but all in all its not bad for $800. he wanted $1000 i'll post some pics of it in the morning.

Questions:
my dad thinks it has the 4.10 gears in it, but not positive. what should i look for on the axle to tell what it has? if it is i"ll be changing them to 3.55 maybe lower?

any ideas how much it would cost to swap the trans out for one that has overdrive?....or manual? dont matter to me

any other ideas for better gas millage besides staying out of the secondary's?

driver side door lock is stuck. i'll be taking that apart to look at tomorrow....anyone have this problem before that can tell me what to look for?

I'll also try to install my head unit, amp, and subs in it to tomorrow

thanks in advanced
Justin

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Jack up the rear end and spin the tires (this ain't jive talkin). For every revolution of the tire, the drive shaft will spin the number of revolutions the axle is geared to. I.E: if the drive shaft spins four times completely around, the gearing is 4.10. If the shaft spins 3 and a half times , it is 3.55 gears.

Where I live, cops love loud music. It makes them money each time they write a ticket for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i knew i could do that, but there's got to be something on the axle or something on the bronco. so i dont have to do all that....its dark now i'll just look in the morning

here the cops will mess with you over anything...they pulled us over before simply because it was a car full of teenagers! but im mainly putting the stereo in it for when we go camping.

·
Registered
97 Posts
for mileage, Ive been advised to upgrade to an aftermarket Y-pipe/exhaust set up and to do the "sixlitre tune up"/ignition upgrade/timing bump...search these things.

both of those will improve mileage...Im looking to do them both in the coming months.

Our trucks are not made for the modern 70mph interstates...the 3 speed auto hurts on the highway...

where are you located? Im in Macon and plan on doing some similiar stuff to my truck.

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
well i knew i could do that, but there's got to be something on the axle or something on the bronco. so i dont have to do all that....its dark now i'll just look in the morning
There may be a tag on the rear differential with that info. IIRC, it is on the door sticker sometimes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jacobcakes: thanks for the info. I'll look into that......I'm located in Clarkesville. about an 1.5-2 hours northeast of Atlanta

and i found the tags on the diff's
Rear:
S808D
55 88 7F03

Front:
3 54 E7TA GB
610267-3

Anyone know what that means?

I got the door apart, and found a locked up actuator. $21 for a new one off ebay. I took it out for now so i can lock and unlock it manually.

and I'm going to try and get a harness for the radio tomorrow

?????
One of my friends brothers built a Hydrogen generator, and put it on his vortec 350 fuel injected, and supposedly he gets great gas millage. this is what I've herd from a few people that know him. Anyone ever tried it? if it really works I'm gonna get the plans from him and build one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do the ignition upgrade first--it's amazing what $130 can do. I went from 11mpg give or take to 14-16. A high-flow exhaust system should be next, including y-pipe and 3" exhaust of your choosing. A lot of folks love the Bassani set-up around here. I've been very happy with my flomaster 40 but for each their own. Also, get a voltmeter and check major sensors like TPS, ECT, MAP, etc. against your Haynes/Chilton. Discovering one or two faulty sensors and replacing them might be a pain in the ass but it can mean a lot MPG-wise. Finally, for $5, a can of seafoam administered properly (and before you do the ignition upgrade for the sake of your plugs) can help, too.

You'll also want a remote trany filter and a trany cooler (if your rig doesn't already have one). Simply look in front of the radiator and see if your tranny lines are running into a mini-radiator looking thing that appears to be bolted in front of the radiator, up against the grille. Protecting your tranny should be a high priority.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it has 3 gears and diffidently no overdrive, so im guessing c6 too, but as far as gears goes need4racin thinks 3.55 and i found this too http://f150online.com/forums/engine/7455-transmission-differential-code.html ......its the same diff code as mine, and the guy that responded said 3.55. i might have to do what the first guy said and jack it up and spin the tires lol

but jacob whats urs do at 50? you know what gears you have?

and the tires are stock size

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
Welcome neighbor.

I didn't see anyone answering you about your Browns gas (HHO) generator question. People are still researching it. So far they aren't very efficient and there is no way to control the amount of gas going into your engine. It might be a decent add in a few more years when someone events a more efficient generator.

Here are a few links to companies making units or selling plans:

H2 Extreme

Alt NRG This is a good resource site

Zero Fossil Fuel on You Tube Watch this guy's videos. He has invented the most efficient unit so far and has run a lawn mower with it...

Also your question about adding Over Drive:

You can install a ZF 5 Speed manual or you can install a E4OD (the tranny in the newer broncos)

If you add a E4OD you'll need to buy a separate shift computer to run it like Baumann...

You can find used E4ODs for about $400-$500 and the controller computer is around $500 more. Then you'll need to be proficient with wiring to do the install...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome neighbor.

I didn't see anyone answering you about your Browns gas (HHO) generator question. People are still researching it. So far they aren't very efficient and there is no way to control the amount of gas going into your engine. It might be a decent add in a few more years when someone events a more efficient generator.

Here are a few links to companies making units or selling plans:

H2 Extreme

Alt NRG This is a good resource site

Zero Fossil Fuel on You Tube Watch this guy's videos. He has invented the most efficient unit so far and has run a lawn mower with it...

Also your question about adding Over Drive:

You can install a ZF 5 Speed manual or you can install a E4OD (the tranny in the newer broncos)

If you add a E4OD you'll need to buy a separate shift computer to run it like Baumann...

You can find used E4ODs for about $400-$500 and the controller computer is around $500 more. Then you'll need to be proficient with wiring to do the install...
well thanks for the links! i'll be at his house tomorrow.(going camping) they have 88 acres and quite a few trails it should be fun!! and im gonna see about getting a copy of his plans, but heck if i can get a few more mpg it wont take it long to pay for itself with the way this thing drinks gas, and would it work better for me since i have a carb and can set the engine easier that a EFI one?

As far as the trans goes i'll prolly just leave it alone since i should be getting a bike soon(drz400sm) that gets well above 50 miles to the gallon, and i'll just use the bronco for off roading and rainy days.

im gonna save up and lift this thing and bring it to sloppy joe's!! lol

BTW what county you live in?

·
Registered
97 Posts
mine is a little above 2500 at 50(on the speedo)...my tires are a little bigger (32") than stock and I know the speedo underestimates a little because of it...so, it sounds like you and I are in the same boat.
I really dont know what gears I have, I think im goin going to do the jack'n'spin to confirm mine as well...I would think we prob have the same set up; seems like the only dif is you have the 351 and I have the 302.

My tranny is pretty smooth, hard shifts happen sometimes though...Im going to drain and refill the fluid and put some Lucas in with in it soon... My bronco is my fun truck (my dd is a civic and I have an 04 Ram for sale) so I plan on keeping the old C6 and just driving slow as hell on the the highways and interstates...The only time im on the highway is when Im pulling my boat to the lake, so I just leave earlier and take it 50 mph the whole way.

If you want cheap and reliable MPG increase...sixlitre tune and new exhaust are the way to get it, apparently. Ill be doing sixlitre in the next few weeks and exhaust when I sell my Dodge.

Be carefull on that bike, Justin.
Tell what you choose to do and how it goes.

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
well thanks for the links! i'll be at his house tomorrow.(going camping) they have 88 acres and quite a few trails it should be fun!! and im gonna see about getting a copy of his plans, but heck if i can get a few more mpg it wont take it long to pay for itself with the way this thing drinks gas, and would it work better for me since i have a carb and can set the engine easier that a EFI one?

As far as the trans goes i'll prolly just leave it alone since i should be getting a bike soon(drz400sm) that gets well above 50 miles to the gallon, and i'll just use the bronco for off roading and rainy days.

im gonna save up and lift this thing and bring it to sloppy joe's!! lol

BTW what county you live in?
It will work about the same. Current plans for all the different models I've seen call for two hose connections. One to a vacuum port on your intake manifold (for idle) and the second in your air stream somewhere for open throttle (cruising/accelerating/etc.). It may wind up being a little more of a pain for you to install this line as the EFIs have plumbed air intake that is before their throttle body... that is easier for them to plumb this line in...

Trans is your call. Its an expensive conversion. I'm going the E4OD route after 20 years of putting up with my C-6. I'm just ready for over drive on the highway. I've gone up another couple of sizes on my tires so I need to regear my truck and I know I'll lose all my highway top end that I have now so I'm going up to 4.56 gears and adding over drive so Hwy RPM will stay about the same...

I live in Forsyth County (Cumming) but we have some property in Rabun on Lake Burton just north of you. Clarkesville is my old stomping grounds. I've spent plenty of time around there and I love 4-wheeling on the US Forestry trails in the mountains around there in White, Habersham & Rabun..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.