Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just chenged the oil in my bronco and I was doing the pressure test and I heard a "pop" fallowed by a splash! I shut the truck off and looked under the truck and all the oil was gushing out of the filter I pulled the filter and found a tear along the the seam of the filter . I took it back they gave me a new one. now I have to pressure wash my driveway again.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
I never use fram. Was told it is not a very good filter. I use Wix.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lightnin said:
I never use fram. Was told it is not a very good filter. I use Wix.
Normally Ill put a K&N in but I didnt feel like spendng 15$ on one today, I guess thats what I get huh?

·
Registered
952 Posts
I usually go with Purolator... seem to work great thru the last 2 changes.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,355 Posts
I have had 2 K&Ns and I have had no problem so far.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
shit happens man. i got three bad oil pressure sending units in a row one time on my ranger almost cause an engine rebuild. Then after diagnostsics it was good to go

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
I'd frame the receipt

drain the filter and send it to Fram and tell them you want a case of filters in return for your keeping quiet !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The only filter I use on my Broncos is a good old Motorcraft FL1A......and THATS IT. I have been following a thread in another forum where some top end engine noise was attributed to the use of lower quality oil filters......I dont know if that is fact or not, but I have always used the FL1A's and will continue to do so till I cant do it no more.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
+1 for Motorcraft oil filters. Thats all I used on my Mustang, and all I will use on the Bronco.

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
I'll third Motorcraft!

Mine uses a FL820S I have a stock cooler that screws on the motor so I have to use a shortie.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
th with motorcraft. I try and buy motorcraft for my truck on everything. from oil, oil filter, to snesors, plugs and wires

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
I had a similar experience with FRAM which came dangerously close to blowing my engine. It happened right after doing an oil change. The bottom of the filter was warped and the seal didn't completely make. Boy can that pump empty the reservoir fast. It pumped about 3 to4 quarts out on the driveway right after I started it up. It took about 30 seconds for it to register that there was a problem while waiting for the oil pressure to come up. I turned off the engine and didn't have to wonder what was the matter for long. When I got out of the truck oil was streaming out from under the engine. The filter felt tight but it wasn't sealed to the block.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
I knew you were gonna say FRAM. Stick with Motorcraft their only about $3.50(less than a dollar difference from the POS Fram filters).

BTW Purolator does not equal Fram(POS) Purolator is almost identical to Motorcraft, if you can't get a Motorcraft Purolator is your next best choice.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
RLKBOB said:
I knew you were gonna say FRAM.
Ditto. Plus whatever else you said. lol

FWIW, I'm using Mobil1 10W-30 and Mobil [M1-301] filter. Seems to run much more quietly than when I picked this BKO up in November...but then again, it'd been sitting for quite some time AND it'd had its oil changed @ WallyWorld using those damn orange time bombs. :twak to the previous owner!

·
Registered
490 Posts
yea same here. when i was workign at autozone i recommanded the ppl to not use FRAm but they where still cheap and didnt want to use the Motorcraft. even after i showed them what they look liek inside. we had 4 brands cut open at the time. fram/stp/motorcraft/bosch. fram looks liek the worst filter. looked liek really bad cardboard. everthing else looked way better. bosch looked at worked much better than the others. since my drop in of the new motor. when i used regular motoroil to break it in i used motocraft once i switch to synthethetic i used K&N. I noticed a 5psi jump in pressure with the K&N.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts