Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 9 inch, which supposedly includes the following: 31 spline axles, detroit locker, and 410's

I want to tear the axle down before I install it to be sure that everything is ok inside but I have never done anything like this. I am pretty mechanically inclined so the work isnt a problem, but what am I looking for. Can I tell from looks that the gears are what ratio I was told? Should I mark the gears and spin the axle to assure proper wear? If I do that, does the axle need to be under the truck, or can I just spin it inside the garage on stands?

It is difficult to search from my phone but I assure I tried, and got 2 or three pages into several articles without much luck.

Thanks for the help. and if you think of anything I need to do, or should look at or whatever, please throw your .02 in

Appreciate it

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Well you gotta get her to take her clothes off first. I found tequila works great.... Oh wait.....

If you pull the carrier out of it there will be numbers stamped on the ring gear like a 11-38... Take the big number and divide it by the smaller.. 11 being the pinion and 38 the ring gear in this case.

You can get a mesh paste and run it though the gears and post pics.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where would I get this mesh paste??
and is that the technical term for it, or is it just a description haha

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is a paste that you apply to the ring gear and turn the ring and pinion through the grease and you look at the contact pattern that is left on the grease to ensure that the contact pattern of the gears are correct. most good auto supply stores should have it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will look into it, I prolly wont be able to do any teardown til next week, just prepping myself. Anything else I need to look for, or do while Im in there

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
the axles are only held in by the plates on the outer ends, four bolts and you can slide them right out then unbolt the center chunck off the housing its self, you can turn the gears by hand once you have the third member out...like stated above the gears should be stamped.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just had my 9 inch apart for the first time a couple weeks ago to install my locker. A little more of a PITA than most diff's to get into, but not too bad. Just make sure you remove the washers behind the 3rd member nuts if they're still stuck on there. I whacked and pried on the 3rd member for a good 15 minutes trying to loosen it up from the housing before I realize the brass washers were jammed in between the studs and the 3rd member... causing it to be kind of locked on there. Once I got the washers all off, a little bit of persuasion and the pumpkin broke away from the housing no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would the bearings and seals be something I could do, or is it pretty much only someone at a shop can do. I will attempt to start this project next week but who knows. Ive got a long weekend out of town this weekend, and then big bear next weekend so it may be a bit.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
oh i just realised your in o-side.. take it apart and call me i can come take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can do the outer bearings/seals with out a press, and while you have it apart you should add a drain plug.
I was planning on doing so, thanks for the reminder though
:goodfinge

oh i just realised your in o-side.. take it apart and call me i can come take a look at it.
PM sent, appreciate the offer

·
Registered
127 Posts
you can do the outer bearings/seals with out a press, and while you have it apart you should add a drain plug.
Not to hi-jack.. but I thought about this as well when I was about to take mine apart. I've read the front D44 plug installs, but couldn't quite find one for a 9" anywhere. My main thing was where to put the plug so that it wouldn't be at risk of being ripped out... maybe on the backside of the housing? The next time I have to do a fluid change I might just break out the drill and go to town, so if any of you have some input please let me know.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
Not to hi-jack.. but I thought about this as well when I was about to take mine apart. I've read the front D44 plug installs, but couldn't quite find one for a 9" anywhere. My main thing was where to put the plug so that it wouldn't be at risk of being ripped out... maybe on the backside of the housing? The next time I have to do a fluid change I might just break out the drill and go to town, so if any of you have some input please let me know.
you can see mine here, on the rt side of the housing, I figured its out of the way of damage and if i needed to fully drain the axle I could jack up the opposite side.

·
Registered
127 Posts
you can see mine here, on the rt side of the housing, I figured its out of the way of damage and if i needed to fully drain the axle I could jack up the opposite side.

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for. Is that just a flush mounted pipe plug?... at least I think that's what some chose for their D44 plug installs that I've seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts