Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just got my 1990 Bronco XLT home last night. But there are a few problems. So I want to get the fixed before I take it on the road.

I am planning to replace the Valve cover gaskets,Timing chain cover gaskets, timing chain, upper and lower intake gaskets, waterpump, and check the electrical connections. Also I will change all fluids, add an external tranny cooler and external filter. Is there anything else I should check on it that usually goes bad?

Another thing, is that the parking and interior lights don't work so I took out the light switch last night. Assuming it is bad, I am going to buy a new one. Hopefully that will fix the interior light problems.

I am going to buy new shocks for the front since the front end bounces everywhere. Are Sky-Jacker shocks any good? Are they better than Discounts Monroe shocks? Thanks for any help you guys can help with.

Dave

·
Lick my
2,091 Posts
Of course you know a full tune up and filter change should be even higher up on the list. Monroes are okay, Sky jacker is a far better choice. Im not very electrical savvy, so I will let someone else help out with that. Best of luck and welcome.

Tony

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
buy a haynes manual that will tell you how to do everything you need to do

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep picking up the Haynes manual later today. I know it will have scheduled matinenance. Just wondering if there is any other problematic areas not covered in the matinenance section in the Haynes. thanks again for helping a bronco NewB

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
do some searches for the shocks. you better used the advanced option and select search thread titles only or you will get back about a million threads.
sounds like you have a good plan. don't forget the plugs/wires/cap/rotor while you are at it.
also, might be good to pay attention to your tailgate. nip any problems in the bud.
while doing all that work on the waterpump/timingchain: check that radiator (it is getting old). Explore putting electric fans in while you have it pulled that far apart.

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well just pulled codes. It passed with no codes at all. I got the haynes manuel. WOW that thing is small! What ever happened to Chiltons? One good thing with the Bronco is that it has a brand new 4 core aluminum rad. I got all the electrical gremlins out today. I swear some people need to leave trucks alone. All the electrical problems were from people spliceing into wires and just wrapping the slpiced wire around! So I took all of that crap out and soldered it together with heat shrink.

I am def. going to do the alt upgrade. I did one in every mustang I owned.

I know I am going to be having fun with it! LOL. I just need to get the oil leaks stopped. Its just one of my pet peevs. Nothing worse than driving and smelling the fumes of burning oil. Or driving into a friends new driveway and leave little reminders of myself.

THanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Dave.....you should have got a pass code from it of either 11 or 111 if the KOEO & KOER test(s) was done correctly. When you say you got no codes at all, I am assuming you meant to say you got a pass code????

·
Registered
531 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
buy a haynes manual that will tell you how to do everything you need to do
Chilton is better....

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
Also forgot to mention, if you have the original autolocking hubs, lose them like a bad habit and replace 'em with either Warn or MileMarker manuals. While you're in there, it wouldn't hurt to inspect/replace and repack the wheel bearings. It would also be a good time to inspect the rotors, pads and calipers as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I got the 11 code.

The hubs are Warn manual hubs. I haven't done much to the Bronco yet. I have been working non stop. Today, hopefully this afternoon I will pull it up in my driveway to start to lube everything I can.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
they said it all

·
Registered
671 Posts
Check your radius arm bushings and tie rod ends (minimum) Better yet, take it to an alignment shop and have em check it out. (take it to at least 2 of them, to get agreeing opinions.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Masterbeavis.... good idea. I just bought a tire to replace the one odd ball tire. The Bronco should be on the road soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts